Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Government Tracking all Verizon Phone Calls

Options
  • 06-06-2013 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭

Well it's finally out in the open. US has confirmed that the NSA court ordered Verizon to hand over all user data from phone usage.

Did we all know this was happening all along? Or was it just so-called conspiracy theorists who were banging the drum?

Is it too late for citizens to fight back against these Orwellian measures, or are we on an inevitable road to being tracked 24/7? I'm thinking Google glasses etc, the erosion of Civil Liberties across the world, increasingly sophisticated technology etc.

Or are you happy to be tracked because it protects us from the boogey men?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/06/nsa-phone-records-verizon-court-order

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,417 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Spit on me dickie.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Meh. So what?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Switch networks

Be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Did we all know this was happening all along?

Yes, but I can only speak for myself. Anyone who finds this shocking must be pretty naive imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 305 ✭✭Jimminy Mc Fukhead

That's a pity because I was only on the phone the other day with verizone. We were chatting about coastal erosion and google glasses. Now the US Government know all about it. It's 1984 all over again. Only 29 years later.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

They've been monitoring telecommunications traffic for a few decades now with Echelon over in th UK. Nothing new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Good ol' Obama.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I've nothing to hide. Nothing.

* eats SIM card, smashes up phone*

Listening to peoples phone conversations must be the most boring,life sapping occupation ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Bray Header

I just think from a social engingeering perspective it's amazing that we can accept that all of our comms are monitored and its fine.

Nixon broke into some hotel rooms bugged a few phones and it cost him the Presidency. Now they don't even have to do the break in bit, how times have changed.

On the whole though, people's attitude seems to be fairly meh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

RTDH finally no where to be seen.

Must have headed for the hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Yanks don't mind losing their privacy because their guns will protect dem from de federal gubberment. Derp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

I just think from a social engingeering perspective it's amazing that we can accept that all of our comms are monitored and its fine.

Nixon broke into some hotel rooms bugged a few phones and it cost him the Presidency. Now they don't even have to do the break in bit, how times have changed.

On the whole though, people's attitude seems to be fairly meh?

How did he do that if he's only a head in a jar?

donvito99 wrote: »
    RTDH finally no where to be seen.

Must have headed for the hills.

Haven't seen him in ages,must have been bungled into a waiting car somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

The secret is to lace your conversations with key words like: bomb, Al Qaeda, Jihad, infidels, a thousand deaths, mythar, & zyclon b. If everyone does this, you essentially hide in plain sight.
    What are you hiding from, god only knows. Or should I say Allah. Allah akbar!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Isn't the Patriot Act around years?

Obama is such a man of the people......more like, meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

I think it's been known for quite some time, even among non-CTers.

Just earlier this year it was revealed that the FBI have been using IMSI-catchers in cities for the last decade or two.

And then there was the mass surveillance technology found in one of Gaddafi's compounds made by various international companies. I don't think anyone believes those technologies were designed for Gaddaffi but instead are being sold to various governments.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

what if your name is Mr semtex and You like to answer the phone saying"Semtex Here" Or if your name is french "Le bomb"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,634 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Perhaps someone is reading this!
    <-<
    >->

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Every intelligence agency in the world uses every method possible to gather intelligence.

That's why they are called intelligence agencies, not stupidity agencies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Is anyone honestly surprised?
    Expecting some humble pie from the "conspiracy theories forum is over there" brigade any second now...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,172 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

kneemos wrote: »
    Listening to peoples phone conversations must be the most boring,life sapping occupation ever.

Except for those late night, drunken calls :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Sure don't the Irish government bug phones of people they are intrested in, nothing new here its being going on since phones were invented...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

One word: NarusInsight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

kneemos wrote: »

Worse than that! Watch 'The Lives of Others'. A disturbing movie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

I can Imagine if an Irishman had to tapp up a phone in a private house

Probably set off the alarm firstly, then fall over the fence and be let on the ground with a jack russel licking his face

He would then need to ring his mate to collect him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Specialun wrote: »
    I can Imagine if an Irishman had to tapp up a phone in a private house

You mean make an illegal appraoch to the phone before approaching it's owner?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Well it's finally out in the open. US has confirmed that the NSA court ordered Verizon to hand over all user data from phone usage.

Did we all know this was happening all along? Or was it just so-called conspiracy theorists who were banging the drum?

Is it too late for citizens to fight back against these Orwellian measures, or are we on an inevitable road to being tracked 24/7? I'm thinking Google glasses etc, the erosion of Civil Liberties across the world, increasingly sophisticated technology etc.

Or are you happy to be tracked because it protects us from the boogey men?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/06/nsa-phone-records-verizon-court-order

Its a bit late to be getting scared about this, haven't you heard about the Patriot Act?

http://www.mayerbrown.com/files/Publication/ce02dec6-f143-46ec-a0a3-53c06d770707/Presentation/PublicationAttachment/f56ea23a-7fd4-40bb-9b78-57e0787774dc/12057.PDF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

My God, Alex Jones was right..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

the_monkey wrote: »
    My God, Alex Jones was right..

A broken cock is right twice a day.

That's not a typo.

Advertisement