Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We need your help with invasive species

Options
  • 04-06-2013 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

When invasive species become established they cause significant damage to freshwater ecosystems, fish populations and to the economies that depend upon them. Next to habitat loss, invasive species are considered the greatest threat to native biodiversity.

Anglers play a vital role in protecting the native and unique fish stocks and waterways on the island of Ireland. The Institute of Technology, Sligo is looking for anglers to take a short online questionnaire called “Angling and invasive species”. The following link is to the questionnaire which can be completed anonymously. It should take no more than 8 minutes and your views would be greatly appreciated.

Tight lines

Link to survey form
    https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1pTevuKo4yH4143sp7liOA_hoKLuveojBCJ1MCzJrUJM/viewform

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

done

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Done!

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

Done.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 fishook

done

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭bonzer79

Done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Done

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jkchambers

rsheehan wrote: »
    When invasive species become established they cause significant damage to freshwater ecosystems, fish populations and to the economies that depend upon them. Next to habitat loss, invasive species are considered the greatest threat to native biodiversity.

Anglers play a vital role in protecting the native and unique fish stocks and waterways on the island of Ireland. The Institute of Technology, Sligo is looking for anglers to take a short online questionnaire called “Angling and invasive species”. The following link is to the questionnaire which can be completed anonymously. It should take no more than 8 minutes and your views would be greatly appreciated.

Tight lines

Link to survey form
    https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1pTevuKo4yH4143sp7liOA_hoKLuveojBCJ1MCzJrUJM/viewform
    I dont see your survey up on a number of angling website message boards. I will post a link to this on 5 or 6 of them

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭zacmorris

done!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 rsheehan

jkchambers wrote: »
    I dont see your survey up on a number of angling website message boards. I will post a link to this on 5 or 6 of them

Thanks jkchambers.

Yesterday was the first day of it going live. I will be posting it to a number of forums in the coming days. All help is greatly appreciated.

Rory

Thanks jkchambers.

Yesterday was the first day of it going live. I will be posting it to a number of forums in the coming days. All help is greatly appreciated.

Rory

I posted it to
    angling-in-Ireland
    fishingtalkireland
    irelandscoarsefishing
    prebait

• Advertisement

I posted it to
    angling-in-Ireland
    fishingtalkireland
    irelandscoarsefishing
    prebait

Thanks again jkchambers.

The survey will be live over the summer and it will take a number of months for me to work over the results and produce a report. When I have this done I will make sure to post a link to this and some of my findings back here.

Regards
    Rory

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thekevin4540

done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Hi OP, indeed invasives pose a huge threat to angling. Have you had any input from Ireland's foremost expert on the subject Joe Cafferey in IFI Swords?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Why are Chub on the list?

Bizzum wrote: »
    Hi OP, indeed invasives pose a huge threat to angling. Have you had any input from Ireland's foremost expert on the subject Joe Cafferey in IFI Swords?

Hi Bizzum.

As IFI are the agency in the republic responsible for the control and prevention of freshwater invasive species they were consulted during the design of the survey.

The survey is part of my postgraduate studies at IT Sligo and was constructed and designed by me.
    Super-Rush wrote: »
    Why are Chub on the list?

Hi Super-Rush

I will answer your question in a PM so as to avoid biasing the survey results.

Regards

Rory

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Hi Bizzum.

As IFI are the agency in the republic responsible for the control and prevention of freshwater invasive species they were consulted during the design of the survey.

The survey is part of my postgraduate studies at IT Sligo and was constructed and designed by me.

Hi Super-Rush

I will answer your question in a PM so as to avoid biasing the survey results.

Regards

Rory

Its a pretty straightforward question to be honest.

Why are Chub on the list when Roach, Dace and Carp are left out?

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Its a pretty straightforward question to be honest.

Why are Chub on the list when Roach, Dace and Carp are left out?

Hi Super-Rush

I have replied to your previous question in a PM.

As I have stated I do not wish to discuss any specifics of the survey in a public forum while it is active. This is in an effort to prevent biasing of the results. It would be unprofessional and inappropriate for the survey administrator to discus specifics questions in a place where someone who has yet to complete the survey could read it.

I will be happy to reply to your questions on the public forum when the survey is concluded. Until that time I apologize that I can only reply to you by PM.

Regards

Rory

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

done...

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

done!

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Done

Surprised Himalyan Balsam was not on the list, it has spread down the River Maine in Kerry since i was a boy, now widespread and tall in July / August http://www.fisheriesireland.ie/Invasive-species-list/himalayan-balsam.html

• Advertisement

Are you getting a reasonable number of replies from the various message boards ?

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

DONE

Done

Surprised Himalyan Balsam was not on the list, it has spread down the River Maine in Kerry since i was a boy, now widespread and tall in July / August http://www.fisheriesireland.ie/Invasive-species-list/himalayan-balsam.html

Hi downwiththatsor

Thanks for the point. I will PM you reasoning behind this.

Rory
    Are you getting a reasonable number of replies from the various message boards ?

Hi jkchambers

I am getting an excellent response to the survey. I would like to thank everyone on boards.ie that has helped me out with it so far as I have had a very good response from here.

I have targeted internet forums here in Ireland and across the water in England Wales Scotland so far. I have had help with what forums to contact and have had the survey link reposted to other forums by the kindness of some of the boards.ie users who I would sincerely like to thank.

Anyone else that has not taken the survey and is interested, here is the link again; https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1pTevuKo4yH4143sp7liOA_hoKLuveojBCJ1MCzJrUJM/viewform

Regards
    Rory

Hi all

I will be closing my survey shortly and beginning the data analysis phase of the project. I would like to thank all the anglers on boards that took the survey and helped out.

There is still time for anyone that hasn't completed the form to do so if they wish, just follow the link https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1pTevuKo4yH4143sp7liOA_hoKLuveojBCJ1MCzJrUJM/viewform

Tight lines

Rory

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭vibes23

Done

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭decdon

Done

Advertisement