Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making mosaic with children outdoors

Options
  • 21-05-2013 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I would like to do an outdoor mosaic with a group of children (about 12 years old). We will make individual flowers and insects to apply randomly on the wall. I expect that the indirect method is best for this. Has anyone any advice 1) working with children; 2) working outdoors; and 3) supporting the mosaic whilst the cement adhesive dries. Also any suggestions for alternative to mosaic mesh which I cannot source locally.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Sportsmad_Mick

Only advice I have with working with children outdoors is mind your voice! gather them all around you at the start, making sure they are all giving you eye contact and explain to them what they need to do in the task and the behaviour you expect from them...I have found being firm with them at the start is best. As the day goes on then ye can all have the banter rather than starting with chaos right from the start and ending up having to shout to get them to achieve the goals for the task. Each to their own when dealing with kids but this is what I have found helps achieve what you want and everyone enjoys themselves at the same time and you have a voice at the end of the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mary wallace

Sound advice Mick. In this case most of the 'work' will happen indoors as we will prepare the mosaic pices to be brought outside. Firm but pleasant and friendly is the way to go!

Advertisement