Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Locals to be asked to pay for road maintenance

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

Victor wrote: »
    You would have a point if you paid road tax. However, you pay Motor Tax, something which, along with fuel duty, is designed to discourage excessive fuel usage and fuel imports.

It's designed to give the government more money. They don't want people to stop using fuel. Once it gives them more money they love people using it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32 big break

corktina wrote: »
    there are no old roadfixers....otherwise the roads would be fixed already....

If I was on the dole I would have no objection at all to working for it, especially if you got a little more as a result.

Would you not expect a fair wage?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

step 1 ) get people on the dole to fix the roads in their area for 20-30 hours a week
    step 2 ) we werent going to pay the paid workers to fix the roads anyway so their level of work is unchanged
    step 3 ) roads get fixed accross the country and I actually get some value for my tax money
    step 4 ) some of these people who now have training in road repair could go on to get jobs doing it full time, lessening my tax burdon and freeing up more money to pay for roads to be fixed.

Do you honestly think there are 450,000 unemployed people who are work shy?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭TGi666

I though the house hold tax/charge was to pay for roads, schools etc.?

Brian? wrote: »
    Do you honestly think there are 450,000 unemployed people who are work shy?

No no your not listening to the science.
    Now that the 450 000 people have road fixing skills they can get jobs in road fixing. Even though people on the welfare do it free.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

big break wrote: »
    Would you not expect a fair wage?

given that the main problem we have is we pay ourselves too much, then probably not.

given that the main problem we have is we pay ourselves too much, then probably not.

So you would be happy if the boss came in tomorrow and told you your wage was dropping to 210 euro a week?
    His thoughts are that 450 000 on the dole will be forced to do the job for this if you dont?
    Then you will be forced to fix roads because you dont have a job.
    Does this work for you?

no I wouldn't be happy..different scenario...

if I had no job, I'd be happy to work in some capacity rather than a free handout.

(PS I have no job btw...)

no I wouldn't be happy..different scenario...

if I had no job, I'd be happy to work in some capacity rather than a free handout.

(PS I have no job btw...)
    Your local charity could do with some help Im sure.

it's just my opinion, doesn't matter if you don't agree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Your local charity could do with some help Im sure.

How does that benefit the country in the same capacity as having people on the dole do a small amount of work for their money?

How does that benefit the country in the same capacity as having people on the dole do a small amount of work for their money?

It helps the poorest in society. The ones who need it most.
    It also doesnt take work away from legitimate road fixers.

It helps the poorest in society. The ones who need it most.

how? the minister has said there wont be any road fixing....

You mean people in the county council that have a guaranteed job no matter what?

Also with the state of the roads after these "legitimate road fixers" have been around, I'd be in favor of taking as much work away from them as is possible.

how? the minister has said there wont be any road fixing....

Probably in the hope he can garner public support to make slave labour out of the unemployed.

You mean people in the county council that have a guaranteed job no matter what?

Also with the state of the roads after these "legitimate road fixers" have been around, I'd be in favor of taking as much work away from them as is possible.
    Thats a problem with the county council you have there. Not with unemployed people. Maybe you should be hoping it was more efficient rather than bashing the unemployed into slavery.

noone said it would be compulsory, I would have thought many unemployed persons would jump at it,

noone said it would be compulsory, I would have thought many unemployed persons would jump at it,

My garden needs cutting and my car needs a bit of work done. Any unemployed people wanna get to it ?
    Itll give me more time to work and contribute to the taxman.

Thats a problem with the county council you have there. Not with unemployed people. Maybe you should be hoping it was more efficient rather than bashing the unemployed into slavery.

Starting to sound like you could be one of the work shy amongst the 450,000 unemployed. Would certainly explain why you dislike the idea so much.

My garden needs cutting and my car needs a bit of work done. Any unemployed people wanna get to it ?
    Itll give me more time to work and contribute to the taxman.

yeah that's grand, so long as locals (ie YOU) are prepared to pay for it...thats the point.

BTW suggestions that the Unemployed do this work have only com from this Board, not the Government afaik

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

varadkar hates rural ireland

I would agree to the suggestion that local unemployed people be given a fair wage to do this work. Im sure the jobs would be filled in minutes.

I would agree to the suggestion that local unemployed people be given a fair wage to do this work. Im sure the jobs would be filled in minutes.

thats grand but have you grasped that YOU will be paying..?

thats grand but have you grasped that YOU will be paying..?

Probably not. I rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

I think an element of this should be local repairs, some farmer with a tractor could be commissioned to repair potholes in a timely way, the idea of waiting until the road crew get around to it is causes further damage. They need a suitable approach to health and safety, insurance etc to allow this happen.

Probably not. I rent.

do you think a local tax for road repairs wouldn't impact on the rent you get charged?

do you think a local tax for road repairs wouldn't impact on the rent you get charged?

Probably not. Kinda like the household charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

ardmacha wrote: »

I think an element of this should be local repairs, some farmer with a tractor could be commissioned to repair potholes in a timely way, the idea of waiting until the road crew get around to it is causes further damage. They need a suitable approach to health and safety, insurance etc to allow this happen.

Farmers/locals do already at access points etc. Imagine asking bridie up a boreen to pay for some swimming pool a tractor or quarry truck has made, its's a bit different to asking a row of suburbia to chip in for new geraniums in the raised beds at the lights, maybe it's a bit much to say he hates rural ireland but these right wing feelers he likes to put out have more than once been divisive in this regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭traco

As a small business owner with a couple of vans I can say we have seen the effects of motoring costs and it has made us look at costs. Each van is €380 motor tax, DOE every year, repairs due to crap roads once you are off the main drag and then diesel as they are not the kindest on juice. Fuel bill being the most significant having doubled in the last 4/5 years.

Vans now spend majority of time parked up to keep fuel bill down and we made the warehouse driver position redundant a good while back. We now try and drop ship parts direct from suppliers where possible. We also pay rates to Co Co for a premises in a private estate where they do absolutely nothing for us.

On our sales side, one guy left and we have decided not to replace that position, part of that decision was the motoring costs so we are doing much more tele sales and targeted marketing to drive sales and visiting when projects are serious.

We are not the only company looking at the cost of guys on the road and i know of haulage companies are also taking trucks off where they can. The reality is that these costs can't be passed on to customers as we are continuously trying to drive costs down to maintain business (which is the complete opposite of what the revenue do to us who - their customers! Maybe I should get into the revenue business.!?!?!?)

The reality is that increased motoring costs are costing jobs and in our small business they have been a significant factor in two positions. I don't believe we are alone in that either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

BMJD wrote: »
    Suggestions:
    • A tax on cars, maybe to be paid annuallly or every 3/6 months. A small, round certificate of compliance shall be issued to be placed on windscreen to proudly show fellow citizens
    • A levy on fuel, about 90 cents per litre of petrol or 77 cents per litre of diesel
    • A tax on new vehicles, for registration like. Anything up to 36% of the vehicle's value. If you don't know the value, pull one out of your arse. Slap some VAT on top of that as well when you're at it
    • Stick a levy onto insurance premiums as well when you're at it
    • Place some vans on safe stretches of road, take photos of citizens exceeding a deliberately low speed limit, demand money from them or else! Pretend it's all to do with road safety.

feck it, hammer the motorist with all of the above, sure they won't say a thing about it!!!

Great post. And you forgot the NCT :D

Advertisement