Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Windy Road to Nowhere

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Dubliner2019

Rock n Roll half report

I don’t think wrecking myself in the bog on Friday after cycling was the best preparation for this, but legs felt ok. I’d planned to get myself into 1:24-25 shape, but after the 5 mile race, didn’t think I was quite there. Felt confident that 1:29 would be too easy, so decided I’d mostly run on effort.

I got parked about a mile away at 7:30, ran the mile to the start. Didn’t bother with a bag drop as it was unexpectedly dry and mild. Got going at 8, and settled into a proper pace after about half a mile. First few miles were around the city, and I was feeling fine. Couple of hills over near Christchurch, nothing major. Ran a little bit with a club mate, then I headed on.
    The second half of the race was harder, lots of short drags. Phoenix Park is a beautiful place for running, but lots of hills to be negotiated. Pace dropped back a bit on the uphills, but I was able to keep the flat or downhills at 6:3x pace. The 12th mile I really found tough, heart rate over 180, but I got myself going again after cresting the last of the uphills, and worked all the way home. 162nd place, 1:27:28 (6:39)
    Splits were 6:46, 6:37, 6:55, 6:44, 6:34, 6:31, 6:41, 6:47, 6:34, 6:27, 6:27, 7:00, 6:27, 5:46(pace).

I’m happy enough with how that went. As I suspected a few weeks ago, speed was a bit lacking, but felt like I was workin hard, and was particularly pleased with the second half of the race.

Hiya, I did the race yesterday, couldn’t find my place, do you know which website can find the results?
    Thanks a million!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Hiya, I did the race yesterday, couldn’t find my place, do you know which website can find the results?
    Thanks a million!

I just went to the home page for rock n roll, then on menu tab, hit results, scroll down to Dublin, then click half marathon, and search by name or number.

Poor few weeks training, picked up a cold that was developing into chest infection, so eased back on running to keep healthy.
    12 Aug: 4.1 in 30:30
    13 Aug/ 4.1 in 31:35
    14 Aug: 4.1 in 31:10
    15 Aug: 4.1 in 31:50
    16 Aug: 4.1 in 30:40
    17 Aug: 6.4 in 47:45
    18 Aug: 4.1 in 30:20
    20 Aug: 4.1 in 29:40
    23 Aug: 4.1 in 32:30
    24 Aug : 4.1 in 32:06
    25 Aug: 5.1 in 39:25
    27 Aug: 4.1 in 31:35
    28 Aug: 7 in 52:05
    29 Aug: 4.1 in 32:14
    30 Aug: 4.1 in 32:30
    8 Sept: 6 in 44:23
    9 Sept: 4.1 in 31:15
    10 Sept: 4.1 in 30:59
    12 Sept: 4.1 in 31:47
    13 Sept: 4.1 in 31:25
    15 Sept 17.5 in 2:13 (7:36) - tester to see if I was capable of running long distance. Passed test
    17 Sept: 4.1 in 32:10
    18 Sept: 5.2 in 40:20
    19 Sept: 4.1 in 31:10
    21 Sept: 10 in 1:12
    23 Sept: 4.1 in 30:07
    24 Sept: 6.7 in 50:45
    29 Sept: 26.2 in 3:18:45

Monaghan marathon 2019 race report
    Half-baked, interrupted, inadequate would be some of the kinder adjectives I could use to describe preparation for the autumn marathon this year. July was never going to prepare me for distance, August and September fell apart, mostly because I chose to take no risks with chesty coughs. Didn’t even make up my mind to register for the race until Friday evening. However, the one and only long run since June suggested I could bluff my way (sorry, draw on my experience) around, as long as it wasn’t fast.

After a last minute entry, I lined up with no goal time, but determined to have a laugh and run honestly. Set off at 9:30 on the first 6 miles into and back out of town, mostly on roads, and probably a touch fast on a couple of miles. However, atmosphere was good, ran with a couple of bucks, between the three of us, we had over 200 marathons in the legs. Heading for Rossmore Park for the first of four loops, the two dropped off the pace, leaving me on my own early on.

The trees in the park play havoc with gps, I’d spent a mile with the clubman who’d been with the official measurer, Jones Counter checked, so no question of short course, but watch has always measured up to a mile short for this marathon, so running at “9:30 pace” on garmin in places was to be completely ignored, the entire last 20 miles I ran on feel and heart rate.

The weather was beautiful, the park is one of the most beautiful places in Ireland, riverside paths, castle ruins, giant redwoods, lakes, and the best of Monaghan humour and craic. Somewhere after 10-12 miles, I caught up with a marathoner, thought we could run together, but he was slowing down. Couple of miles later, same issue, passed another couple of lads who seemed to have abandoned what must have started out as half decent pace. And as far as positional changes, that was that.

Passing the start/finish area each of the four times before heading back off road was a break from the solitude of the forest, and my wife, four kids and mother had turned up to cheer me on. On the last lap, I was starting to suffer a bit with tiring legs. The rubbish training was going to have to bite at some stage! Until then, it looked like 3:15 was on the cards. However, started really losing time with about 3 miles to go. The hills, which were nasty from the get-go were now laughing at me and pumping me full of lactic acid. Horrible, ugly little place, that Rossmore Park, with its viscous 300ft elevation gain and loss every lap. Cursed at the hills, and the muck and slow surface that was making my life hell, heart rate through the roof!

Then, amazingly, I emerged and ran down hill, through a short section of the Ulster Canal greenway and all my kids are lining up to run the last 200m with me. Beautiful, wonderful Monaghan. With the 4 and 8 year old alongside, and the 10 year old trying to run with the 2 year old, we all got over the line in 3:18 for 4th place in the marathon. Lovely buns, top class sandwiches, soup, coffee, a shower and off home. Fantastic day. I might train for it next year.

Sat 5th October: 20 miles in 2:32 (7:38)

Slightly unorthodox first run out after a marathon, but I happened to have 3 hours to play with over in Nobber so figured I’d use it productively. Legs felt fairly good my mid-week, and once I got on the road, felt grand.
    I chose a route from Nobber to Drumconrath, Kingscourt and back to Nobber. The first 10-12 miles were lovely, some hills, cool enough dry weather, and not much traffic. However, the drag up into Kingscourt was very long and steep, rain started falling, and generally, this wasn’t as enjoyable as it had been. No matter, motored on, and felt good to get a decent run done.

Sunday 6th: 2 miles in 15:30 (7:45)
    Beers at a 50th birthday party Saturday, ran down to get car back Sunday morning.

Monday 7th: 2.25 miles in 16:20 (7:13)
    I thought I’d have at least an hour to play with at soccer training with kids, but ended up coaching, so only a few minutes to run.

Wednesday 9th: 7 miles in 49:23 (7:03)
    I reckoned it’d be a waste of time trying to run with the group at the track, having done no proper speed work in months, so tipped about by myself. 4miles in the middle at 6:25-35 pace, which I considered would be approximately 8k pace for x-country.

Thursday 10th: 4.1 miles in 30:24 (7:25)
    Run around the block in the evening

Saturday 12th: 7.4 miles in 1:01 (8:16)
    Handy 6 miles around the block, then another bit with the Mrs around the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

So are you going to train for a proper marathon soon :)

Louth Intermediate Cross country

Rotten, miserable, windy, waterlogged fields, driving rain! My first cross country race of the season. The ground was bad before we started running, I briefly considered wearing hiking boots for the race. With no expectations, I headed off on first of 5 laps of Termonfeckin football fields. I spent most of the first lap trying in vain to find the most solid pieces of ground, but resigned myself to running straight through a lot of puddles and mud.
    I was in a fairly large group with about 5 from our own club and a few from a rival club. After some mental calculations during the 2nd and 3rd lap, I knew I was racing for nothing, but wanted to work hard nonetheless. A couple of the lads from my club were moving ahead, but didn’t feel like I’d it in me to keep with them, so set my targets as the red vests. Kept the pace fairly even in the middle part of the race, and increased on last lap. I think I finished 17th or 18th or something, don’t really know. 33:54 for the 8k (6:32, 6:41, 6:48, 6:47, 6:43).

My young fella ran a very good tactical race for 2nd in U9, and daughter just ran out of 3rd in the last 20m for 4th place. Good day.

So are you going to train for a proper marathon soon :)

Yeah, I intend to. I’m not 100% if Lanzarote in December counts as a proper marathon though? That’s the plan though, try to do a few proper long runs, and half decent mileage for the next 6 weeks, see where it takes me.

Monday 14th Oct: am 4.1 miles in 31:30 (7:42)
    Happened to wake up before 7 and threw the gear on for easy run around the block.
    Pm: 10 miles in 1:18 (7:48)
    Two eldest had soccer training, but plenty of other coaches about, so I used the 90 minutes productively. The route around the circumference of the pitches is about 1km, but when it got too dark, I kept to the two lit up fields. First double day in a long time.

Tuesday 15th: 4.75 miles in 36:50 (7:46)
    Run home from school. This might start being a possibility every so often this year, so jumped at the opportunity. Slog of a 550ft climb the whole way home. Lovely.

Weds 16th October: afternoon: 4.75 miles in 33:56 (7:34)
    Run home from school.
    Evening: 7 miles in 49:47 (7:07)
    At the track with the kids. Decided to stick by myself and do more marathon type stuff, just building up mileage really. Slow first mile and a half, then ran about 4.5 miles at 6:40 pace, before jogging a cool down mile.

Friday 18th: afternoon: 5 miles in 38:49 (7:46)
    Run home
    Evening: 2.6 miles in 19:16 (7:25)
    Killing time when the kids were at a music class.

Saturday 19th: 4.1 miles in 30:10 (7:22)
    Post rugby World Cup hammering for Ireland, needed a shot of endorphins. This did the trick.

• Advertisement

Sunday 20th October: 16 miles in 1:58 (7:22)
    Out by 8 this morning, cool and fresh weather, perfect for this run. Kept the effort low enough for the first 6 miles into and through Drogheda, then ramped it up along the Boyne estuary and through Baltray and Termonfeckin. Original plan was for 5 miles at 6:50, but after taking a couple hundred meters breather after the 5th of them, decided to add a 6th 6:50 mile. Took a bit of huffing and puffing, but managed alright. Ran at 8:xx pace the last couple of miles up the hill. Good session to finish off the week.

Monday 21st: 4.1 miles in 32:18 (7:53)
    Out shortly after 7 to get the running week going. Less chance of runmutes this week so overall mileage will drop. Oldest kid had a game, so didn’t get to train in the evening. Damn kids.

Tuesday 22nd: 6 miles in 45:15 (7:32)
    Out before dawn, beautiful morning, roads all to myself. Fantastic way to start the day.

Wednesday 22nd: 8 miles in 53:23 (6:40)
    Legs felt a bit on the heavy side starting out this evening, but responded well enough as I gradually went through the gears, backing off a little for the last mile.
    7:25, 6:40, 6:40, 6:41, 6:31, 6:21, 6:25, 6:38.

Friday 25th October: 7.5 miles in 56:43 (7:34)
    Early morning before school. Can’t remember why I was up at 6:30, but took the opportunity to get a few miles in. Down to Sandpit and back.

Saturday 26th: 6 miles in 46:20 (7:44)
    Out and about early Saturday morning for a couple of miles. Nothing interesting.
    Took the kids down to Kilkenny for Leinster cross country. Both running out of their ages, but ran well. Didn’t hang around to run myself as I had to get back for a soccer semi final.

Sunday 27th: 10 miles in 1:07 (6:44)
    Down in Connemara for a few days. Forgot my watch so downloaded MapMyRun which worked well enough. Tough mountain terrain, but I put a big effort in, some very fast miles downhill and some seriously tough uphill. 914 feet elevation gain and loss over 10 miles tells a story.

Tuesday 29th: 12.25 miles in 1:32 (7:34)
    This was a savage tough session. There was a strong head wind the whole way from An Ceathru Rua to Seanfheistin, 750 feet elevation gain, but tough as they get.
    Afternoon: 2 miles in 17:37 (8:48)
    The two older kids wanted to do a bit of a run on the mountain. Good shake out for the legs.

Friday 1st November: 20 miles in 2:29 (7:28)
    We were on the road yesterday morning home from the west, kids were keen to go trick or treating, so yesterday was written off. Got up at 7:30 this morning, unimpressed with the weather, but got myself together and out on the road before I had time to really think about it.
    Took it nice and easy the first 9 miles, running 7::15-7:55 range depending on the road. Coming towards Collon, dropped the pace down to 6:50s. Mile 10 really isn’t the best place to start running harder as it’s mostly uphill, but I suppose it shouldn’t be too easy. Not overly difficult at any point keeping the pace where I wanted, took my eye off the ball near Tullyallen for one of the miles as a dog chased me and started trying to bite my ankles. Little $£|t, got himself a kick in the face for his troubles. The last of the MP miles on the Drogheda link road was tough, legs were tired and I was running on complete empty at this stage. Anyway, kept it together. Good effort with no breakfast or fuel.
    Fast miles as follows: 6:54, 6:50, 6:50, 6:54, 6:52, 6:46, 6:45, 6:50

I’ll hopefully run a couple of easy miles tomorrow and the Louth Senior race Sunday. There won’t be much pressure on me, I might run a bit of interference.

Saturday 2nd November: 4.1 miles in 32:50 (8:01)
    Slow recovery run early in the morning

Sunday 3rd: 10 miles including Senior cross country

Louth Senior Cross Country 2019

First thing this morning, message came through that the kids relay races were canceled due to a very wet course. When I got there with 20 minutes before the start, it didn’t look too awful, certainly wet but nothing like the intermediate a few weeks back. Ran a mile trying to loosen the legs out, but was still feeling the effects of Friday by the time we lined up. Pre-race instructions included a request to go easy on the course and not cut it up!

The gun went and I settled in well near the back. After about a quarter mile, felt like my legs were feeling ok, so caught up with a little group including a few lads from the club. Felt like I could run myself into the race and probably pick places up later, so settled into the pace of the group. First mile: 6:20

During the second lap, I felt like a few people were already slowing, so I pushed on to the front of the group I was in, not particularly wanting to, but felt like the pace was easing too much. A couple of lads hung on, and we made some good ground. With each lap being approximately a mile, it was handy for keeping an eye on gaps.

After about four miles, I was keeping the pace fairly honest, about 6:30, with the wet heavy ground probably an advantage to me. I picked 2 more targets, both from the same club as me, and dug in fairly hard. Passed one of them and set about making up the 30 meters or so in the last half mile. When I got close and with an uphill with a couple hundred meters to go, I put the foot down and drove hard up the hill, finishing as strong as I had in a long time in the muck. Time was 41:14, don’t know the position, but it was a much stronger performance than the intermediate.

We had a 1st and 2nd place, and took 2nd team. I didn’t get on the team, but as a stepping stone, I was pleased with it. Unlikely to have any more races before the marathon, so just long runs and some sharpening sessions on the track over the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Young Lavery running?

OOnegative wrote: »
    Young Lavery running?

How young? Daddy Lavery was running alright, don’t think any young Lavery was, but I’m a bit clueless with names sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

How young? Daddy Lavery was running alright, don’t think any young Lavery was, but I’m a bit clueless with names sometimes

Oh Daddy was the one!

OOnegative wrote: »
    Oh Daddy was the one!

He’s a good guy. Our young fellas are on the same team usually, not today unfortunately

Monday 4th November: 11.5 miles in 1:28 (7:43)
    Loops of the soccer fields when kids were training. No real effort put into it, just getting medium length run done.

Tuesday 5th: 4.1 miles in 32 (7:48)
    One of the kids woke me up at 6:30, decided to take the opportunity to get a short run. Lots of water in the fields, but no major flooding on the road up the hills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Itziger

Louth Senior Cross Country 2019

First thing this morning, message came through that the kids relay races were canceled due to a very wet course. When I got there with 20 minutes before the start, it didn’t look too awful, certainly wet but nothing like the intermediate a few weeks back. Ran a mile trying to loosen the legs out, but was still feeling the effects of Friday by the time we lined up. Pre-race instructions included a request to go easy on the course and not cut it up!

The gun went and I settled in well near the back. After about a quarter mile, felt like my legs were feeling ok, so caught up with a little group including a few lads from the club. Felt like I could run myself into the race and probably pick places up later, so settled into the pace of the group. First mile: 6:20

During the second lap, I felt like a few people were already slowing, so I pushed on to the front of the group I was in, not particularly wanting to, but felt like the pace was easing too much. A couple of lads hung on, and we made some good ground. With each lap being approximately a mile, it was handy for keeping an eye on gaps.

After about four miles, I was keeping the pace fairly honest, about 6:30, with the wet heavy ground probably an advantage to me. I picked 2 more targets, both from the same club as me, and dug in fairly hard. Passed one of them and set about making up the 30 meters or so in the last half mile. When I got close and with an uphill with a couple hundred meters to go, I put the foot down and drove hard up the hill, finishing as strong as I had in a long time in the muck. Time was 41:14, don’t know the position, but it was a much stronger performance than the intermediate.

We had a 1st and 2nd place, and took 2nd team. I didn’t get on the team, but as a stepping stone, I was pleased with it. Unlikely to have any more races before the marathon, so just long runs and some sharpening sessions on the track over the next few weeks.

30th, ya lazy bugger. Sounds like you ran a good race.

Itziger wrote: »
    30th, ya lazy bugger. Sounds like you ran a good race.

Yeah, nothing particularly impressive about 30th whatsoever, but felt I got as much out of myself on the day as possible. In the middle of a fairly heavy training load, by my modest standards of recent years, nowhere near fresh. I’ll keep working away another couple of weeks, then see what I can do in December off proper training and taper. Hot weather will probably scupper things, but the fun is in the trying.

You up to anything interesting over winter?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Itziger

Yeah, nothing particularly impressive about 30th whatsoever, but felt I got as much out of myself on the day as possible. In the middle of a fairly heavy training load, by my modest standards of recent years, nowhere near fresh. I’ll keep working away another couple of weeks, then see what I can do in December off proper training and taper. Hot weather will probably scupper things, but the fun is in the trying.

You up to anything interesting over winter?

Valencia Marathon Dec 1st.

Itziger wrote: »
    Valencia Marathon Dec 1st.

Must look into that one properly sometime, I know you’ve always raved about it. I’m going to try to get into the Marathon du Medoc when entries open in March.

Wednesday 6th November am: 4.1 miles in 31:50 (7:46)
    Up good and early this morning, and out on the road shortly after 7. My youngest kid is finally hitting the sweet spot whereby he’s happy enough for one of the others to give him some breakfast, meaning I can nip off in the mornings. Lovely morning for running, cool but dry.

Pm: 8.25 miles in 56:35 (6:52) including Yasso 800s at 2:58 goal
    At the track this evening, and despite feeling a little lethargic on the half mile warmup, I settled into the session very nicely. I’d no major problems hitting the targets, so pushed on a little for the last couple. Definitely felt stronger doing this session than pre-Belfast. Good sign.
    Splits: 2:58, 2:59, 2:59, 2:59, 2:59, 2:58, 2:56, 2:55, 2:54, 2:50

Friday 8th November: am: 4.1 miles in 32:38 (7:58)
    Donated blood Thursday evening, so was feeling slow and sluggish Friday as a result. Generally can take 4-7 days to feel normal again running, so content to just shuffle around.

Pm: 4 miles in 31:20 (7:51)
    Kids at music lessons, so took the half hour running around Dunleer, noticed the lights were on up at football field, so ran a bit on the track too.

Sunday 10th: 20 miles in 2:26 (7:21)
    I took yesterday off as I was down in Ferbane with the kids for Leinsters.
    Got up at 7:30 this morning, but as I was heading out, it started raining. Really didn’t fancy getting soaked with it being so cold too, so stayed in until 8:15 when it stopped raining.
    First 5 miles down to Dunleer, I was feeling very sluggish, cold, legs seemed to have no energy, and generally not feeling it. The plan was to run 11 miles at 6:50ish pace after the first 5 miles. Decided that if I was struggling, I’d knock it on the head after 15.
    Turning towards Collon, I said I’d go for it and try to run the planned pace. 6:50, but really working hard, feck my body not producing red blood cells fast enough. Kept it going, next mile 6:53, tough but felt I was getting into it. Those few miles are gradual uphill, so I was starting to think if I could do another 6:50, I’d then take a mile off before going again. Mile 8, 6:49. Fairly tired already with just 3 MP miles done. Took it very handy for Mile 9 - 8:48, then felt strong enough to go again.
    After Mile 10 and 11 going reasonably easy, I ignored the roads that could have taken me home in 15/16 miles, and worked away, heading for Drogheda. The couple of miles down past Tullyallen went by handy enough and before I knew it, I’d only another mile or two to do to hit the planned 11 PMP. Struggling for energy a bit, as I was again running on full empty, but the legs responding alright. Delighted to see Mile 17 - 6:46 on watch, before just jogging up the hills for the last 3 miles.
    Considering I felt like cutting this short at multiple points, and was really struggling after 5 miles when I upped the pace, I’m delighted I dug in and dragged myself around, hitting the planned paces. I need one more good long run, whether it’s next weekend or the following. Things coming together nicely, I think.
    Faster miles: 6:50, 6:53, 6:48, 6:51, 6:51, 6:52, 6:49, 6:47, 6:47, 6:45, 6:46

Monday 11th Nov: 7.1 miles in 57:20 (8:06)
    Very wet fields, and legs a bit dead.

Took a couple of days off during the week, as I thought a little cold was threatening me, the weather was miserable, and I was just a bit busy. No harm.

Friday 15th: 6 miles in 47:29 (7:55)
    Out at 6:45 on very icy roads. Slipping around a lot, especially higher on the hills near my house, better a couple miles down the road. Beautiful morning all the same, just impossible to run at any speed.

Sunday 17th: 20 miles in 2:24 (7:13)
    Busy couple of days with driving to Dublin Friday evening, then Monaghan after that, and back home Saturday evening. Icy cold weather Saturday in Monaghan so didn’t bother going out for another ice skating session.

Up at 7 this morning, decided this would be the day for the last big PMP session. Took a glass of water and ran off. Cold start again, but no ice, no wind or rain, perfect weather weather really. After two miles waking myself up, I dropped down to 6:50 pace. First 2 miles handy, then 4 undulating, mostly uphill. But, 6 PMP done fairly comfortable. Took a mile off the pace again on the very steep section at Whiteriver before coming out on the N2

Ran strongly the whole next 8, mostly mid 6:40s. Legs getting sore and tired, but never struggling at the pace in any way. Finished the planned 14 PMP very happy, trundled on home.
    PMP: 6:51, 6:50, 6:49, 6:49, 6:50, 6:47, 6:52, 6:49, 6:47, 6:50, 6:46, 6:44, 6:39, 6:47

Race in 20 days. I’m planning a decent amount of running this week, with maybe 16-18 mile long run next weekend, ease back a bit the following week with maybe 10 mile long run. Lanzarote will be likely hot, windy and hilly, not the ideal setup for fast marathon, but I’m happy to have put in a very decent couple of months.

Monday 18th November: 4.1 miles in 33:40 (8:13)
    Very difficult icy conditions, particularly up the top of the hill near the house. Nearly packed it in after a quarter of a mile, hard to know is there anything to be gained by running on ice at snails pace on dark winter mornings, but the crisp, fresh air and solitude, with the sun rising is a beautiful thing. No falls, glad I went out.

Wednesday 20th: 9 miles in 58:05 (6:27)
    Cold and windy night, the kids nursing colds so was on the fence about going to the track. Manned up, knew I needed a good mid-week hard effort. Set off on the track, with a very stiff wind on the home straight. I could have made this easier on myself by running 20 minutes of it with a group who were running similar pace to me 200m away from me. However, I know there’s likely to be a very small sub3 pace group in a couple of weeks, so running by myself is the more honest effort. Found the first few miles fine, but the last couple were hard, psychologically maybe, when most other people were doing cool down. Braved it out to the end, and couldn’t even talk myself into 200m of a cool down. Good session.
    6:49, 6:23, 6:24, 6:22, 6:23, 6:22, 6:26, 6:26, 6:24

Friday 22nd: 4.1 miles in 31:58 (7:48)
    Early morning, very dark, the mornings are nearly gone now.

Sunday 24th: 18 miles in 2:11 (7:18)
    We were all in Abbotstown for nationals, just the U12 girls of most interest to us today. Our eldest ran very well, particularly as she’d had a soccer final Friday night, scoring the only goal of the game and running herself into the group for the cause.

On the way home today, I got out near Kentstown, and settled straight into 7:05 pace. Felt very comfortable for most of this, but the long hills around Slane and Collon were sapping enough on energy. Ground out the 18, delighted to sign off on the last of the long runs for this race cycle.

3:06 for 18th place. Tough, tough race. Temperature 20 by halfway, stiff breeze made the last hour a bit of a death march. Goal was top 20, delighted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Some man - great result.

Was it busy in that time bracket??

Advertisement