Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

West Cork Shore Angling - what's out there now?

Options
  • 17-05-2013 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Starting fishing last year and didn't go much beyond catching mackerel and pollock from the rocks. I know mackerel won't be available for another while but it's looking lovely outside here today and I'm eager to start casting if there's anything worth catching for the table :)

Are there any fish worth catching off the rocks/shore around West Cork yet? Any tips on fishing spots is also appreciated, I'm based between Clonakility and Rosscarbery.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭realrebel

Hey guys,

Starting fishing last year and didn't go much beyond catching mackerel and pollock from the rocks. I know mackerel won't be available for another while but it's looking lovely outside here today and I'm eager to start casting if there's anything worth catching for the table :)

Are there any fish worth catching off the rocks/shore around West Cork yet? Any tips on fishing spots is also appreciated, I'm based between Clonakility and Rosscarbery.

Try anywhere where there is deep water off rocks and you should pick up pollock
    Try soft plastics with a jig head or savage gear sandeels or heavy metal lures

• Registered Users Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭.red.

Just remember its closed season for bass and it doesnt open again till june 16th. If a bailiff thinks your targeting them its a fine and gear confiscated.
    There should be pollack and wrasse about by now but maybe not in huge numbers yet. Worth a go anyway if you u have deep water.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭downwesht

Plenty of mullet in Rosscarbery estuary at the moment.Thin lipped,golden and thick lipped.Being caught on fly and bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

downwesht wrote: »
    Plenty of mullet in Rosscarbery estuary at the moment.Thin lipped,golden and thick lipped.Being caught on fly and bread.

I've seen lots of people doing this actually. These are "grey mullet", right? Do people eat grey mullet? Or are they caught for sport? I've seen red mullet at the fish counter but never grey mullet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭.red.

I've seen lots of people doing this actually. These are "grey mullet", right? Do people eat grey mullet? Or are they caught for sport? I've seen red mullet at the fish counter but never grey mullet.

They can be eaten, and are in big numbers in france. Not too popular here tho as they are known for hanging round waste pipes and eating sh1te.
    They are as good a sport fish as you will catch in ireland. They are regarded as the closest thing to bonefish we have in our waters.

• Advertisement
Advertisement