Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chimney fire

Options
  • 10-05-2013 10:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭

I know it's not the place but looking for a quick answer.

Had a chimney fire, it has died down now. question, is there a chance it could reignite in the night or is it done and dusted now?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

You are very very lost. If in doubt, call the fire brigade and ask their advice. Then get your chimney cleaned!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭lkionm

Stick your head up there and find out sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Why are you lighting a fire when it's nearly mid may? Do you live in Siberia?

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Doodoo

Blast it with .....!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭KeithM89

Call the fire brigade, a neighbours house got badly damaged recently after a chimney fire spread through the attic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Marshmallow the sh1t out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

This happened to us 2 years ago, it smoldered away for about a week until the inner wall cracked and flames burst out and we lost nearly half the house. Get it properly checked out and make sure it's fully extinguished, then get it professionally cleaned. Really don't ignore it, could be the difference of your house burning down or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Open all of the windows for 20 minutes to let all the oxygen out of the room, fires need oxygen. You should be fine then, just remember if you go into the room you'll have to hold your breath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

Mr Simpson wrote: »
    You are very very lost. If in doubt, call the fire brigade and ask their advice. Then get your chimney cleaned!
    Do you know how much it costs to 'consult' a fire brigade!

just keep the firebox covered over to prevent the air flowing through and keep an eye on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

Open all the windows for 20 minutes to let all the oxygen out of the room, fires need oxygen. You should be fine then, just remember if you go into the room you'll have to hold your breath.

Jesus You for real ? :confused:

• Advertisement

Do you know how much it costs to 'consult' a fire brigade!

just keep the firebox covered over to prevent the air flowing through and keep an eye on it.

Cheaper than the excess on your house insurance? Or your life, when the smoke kills you?

Cheaper than the excess on your house insurance? Or your life, when the smoke kills you?
    It isn't rocket science to establish that a chimney is not, in fact, on fire.

I don't believe you guys would seriously be calling out the fire brigade to tell you that a chimney showing no signs of being on fire anymore, is indeed not on fire, and paying nearly €1000 in some cases, for the luxury.

If you would, then I have some magic beans you might care to purchase...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

Spray a bit of petrol up the flue. If it goes WHOOSH and there's flames, it's still on fire. If it doesn't, it isn't. Simple but effective test. Alternativly, blast it with pi55 water.

It isn't rocket science to establish that a chimney is not, in fact, on fire.

I don't believe you guys would seriously be calling out the fire brigade to tell you that a chimney showing no signs of being on fire anymore, is indeed not on fire, and paying nearly €1000 in some cases, for the luxury.

If you would, then I have some magic beans you might care to purchase...

Just because somethings not on fire, does not mean it cant reignite. Thats why fire brigades use Thermal Imaging. Not rocket science, is it?

Just because somethings not on fire, does not mean it cant reignite. Thats why fire brigades use Thermal Imaging. Not rocket science, is it?
    Fair play. You personally would need to call a fire brigade.

I think most people with basic skills, like looking up a chimney, and taking basic precautions for a few hours, would see it as a waste of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

Call fire brigade..

Chimney fires can spread through attic.

Life is precious.

Fire can kill.

Fair play. You personally would need to call a fire brigade.

I think most people with basic skills, like looking up a chimney, and taking basic precautions for a few hours, would see it as a waste of money.

I value my life greater than a few hundred euro's ;)

I value my life greater than a few hundred euro's ;)
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Ilik Urgee

Bacon n' Eggs starts chimney fire.

Someone needs to burn the troll.

;)

Also, fyi. If you have house insurance, it more than likely covers fire brigade call out charges

• Advertisement

Also, fyi. If you have house insurance, it more than likely covers fire brigade call out charges

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

R.I.P

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭DanWall

Ifr you have a garden spray (large backpack type) spray water up from the bottom and the draught will carry it up the chimney.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Petrol puts out a fire, so plenty of petrol.

Or is it water?

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Completely unrelated but I lurrrve the way that dead Hawaiian guy sings chimney top in his version of 'Over The Rainbow'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

DanWall wrote: »
    Ifr you have a garden spray (large backpack type) spray water up from the bottom and the draught will carry it up the chimney.
    That'd be the"draught" from the lit fire?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Shove a fire blanket up the chimney, tape another one across the fireplace (this will block the air feeding any remaining fire) and go to bed, . Get a set of rods first thing in the morning and sweep the chimney.

Except, if you have a chimney fire you probably never gave enough of a sh!t to sweep your chimney so you're even less likely to have a fire blanket.

That'd be the"draught" from the lit fire?
    There's a natural draught in a chimney. Did you never send magic notes up the chimney as a kid?

Cause of many the house fire:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Most insurance would cover fire brigade call out , but with a policy excess of around €300

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Most insurance would cover fire brigade call out , but with a policy excess of around €300

I have to say this is EXaCTLY why we should not have a charge for fire services. This man would probably call out the fire brigade if it were not for the call out charge. Now he is up worrying & taking mad "advice" from fruitcakes in the later night interweb on a FriDaY night. Call the FB OP - smoke kills - even if it smoulders it can kill you all in your sleep . Remember Powerscourt? An early evening chimney fire that they thought was put out.... Hundreds more examples - all with tragedies. The heat can reignite it. Make that call.

Advertisement