Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recording: Studios too expensive?

Options
  • 10-05-2013 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hey folks.

Ok so a band googles "recording studio dublin", looks at the big studios that come up, think to themselves "they'll be too expensive" (without asking!), then look up some smaller studios that look a bit crap, they have pro tools but it's LE, one member of the band says "hey my mate has pro tools LE, why don't we just do it with him, he wouldn't charge us much I don't think".

How about instead, the band looks into crowdfunding?
    I'm so sure about this I'm incorporating it on my website!
    www.westlandstudiosdublin.com/pricing

- Why isn't EVERY band doing this now?
    - Is it shameful?
    - is it Taboo? Is busking?
    - Was it shameful for Radiohead to release In Rainbows as "pay-what-you-want"?

Am I biased? sure! I want every band to raise money and record with me so we can give their fans what they want: a decent product that they're proud to have contributed to!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭NewNo2

Those sites are fine, maybe for one release. But the amount of bands in Ireland who can only afford to do one or two days in a studio at a time is staggering. They'd need to keep hounding their fans for money, or make one huge collection, for a record that may only be a success for a small handful of artists over a long time.

Then the fans have to actually buy the record when its done!

And in Radioheads case, they're Multi Millionaires giving you a fully finished product at whatever price you want, even free! They'd make more from touring that record and merchandising anyway than they would from standard cd sales. For young bands here, they'd have to get money first. Before they've recorded anything. I think most of the population of music listeners in Ireland acquire music via illegal downloading, or free streaming via spottily.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 743 Mod ✭✭✭✭TroutMask

it's a long way to the top if you wanna rock 'n' roll

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

Crowdfunding sounds great on paper Alwyn, but I don't think it's the solution for getting more bands into studio to record.

The example you're giving of young bands who "know somebody with Pro Tools" are exactly the type of acts crowdfunding is useless to. They have no initial fanbase, no previous releases of note, and little experience in the industry. Crowdfunding isn't going to change anything in regard to bands like that. Who is going to see their project amongst all the other bands clamouring for money? I know...friends and family. So why not ask friends and family directly for cash, and avoid the fundit/kickstarter middleman? Crowdfunding has always existed in this way.

And that's the problem really with crowdfunding. It can definitely work really well for acts that are established, or that at least have some kind of fanbase already in place. But for new bands, start-ups, first EP's, first albums, the kind of bands you're referring to, and the kind of bands most studios here in Ireland deal with...I'd bet the percentage of successfully funded projects is low.

If you look at it from a band's perspective, there are plenty of reasons not to go for crowdfunding too. The "shame" of asking for funding isn't really an issue I don't think...if anything the facade of a funding website removes that. But there has to be an element of "what if we don't reach our target?" In that case your band is a failure before even a single chord has been struck. Not something new bands are going to take lightly. It's one thing to ask people for money, it's another to have to hand it back, tail between your legs, because nobody gives a **** about your music.

If you look at it from a funders perspective, it's always difficult to throw money at something you haven't heard anything from. Again, this comes back to being already established and having previous releases. It's a very nice speech there by Amanda Palmer, but she has the weight of over 10 years extensive touring with the Dresden Dolls and a decent solo career behind her. An established fanbase. She could have passed around a cup during a tour and probably got the same amount...plus the 5% kickstarter took.

If you're into computer gaming at all, you'll know of game studios receiving MILLIONS to develop games in a matter of weeks. But in each and every case, without exception, these have been remakes of old nostalgic games, or from a development team who were involved with an old classic. There's parallels there too. But on the flip-side of that, I think crowdfunding is great for things like print runs, distribution, even mastering. The fact the product is essentially finished and ready to go gives funders more of an incentive.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 743 Mod ✭✭✭✭TroutMask

Niall - Dahlia makes a good point. In Anvil: The Movie we see that Lips Kudlow borrows $12K from his sister to pay Chris Tsangarides' production (and recording) fee. This strategy was ultimately successful as a lucrative gig in Japan raises enough revenue to repay the debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Alwyn Walker

I see where you guys are coming from but i still don't see it that way.

I guess it comes down to what it always came down to.

Determination and hard work.

Dahlia, as i was reading your post i was just thinking, "well yeah, but a determined band would see it differently"

If a band is afraid to (or fails to)
    Ask friends/family
    Take a risk
    Prepare/rehearse A LOT
    Promote
    Choose their studio & producer carefully*
    Be realistic but optimistic

Then yeah, their band will fail anyway! -Regardless of what way they go about getting started.

*that comment was in reference to the fact that westland studios comes up on the first page of google if you search for recording studios dublin, and my alwynwalker.com is the same if you search for music producer ireland.

I RARELY get contacted by bands who are just scoping out all their options. It's incredible! Why don't more bands "shop around?"

Is it a case of "better the devil you know"?

Don't get me wrong, I'm working long hours pretty much every single day, and the studio ain't lacking anything except a bar and a sauna but seriously, is this just an irish thing where bands won't investigate their options?

Seems like a real shame...

Ps and don't get me started on the "bands can't afford it" thing. I'd say 90% of the bands over the years who have told me they're skint are the ones who drink, smoke, smoke weed and go on regular holidays.

Others who are determined have done whatever the had to, to raise the cash. Some have even gone busking on grafton street week on week (from BELFAST!!) to raise the money!

I know what sacrifices I make to even run this place.
    Alwyn

• Advertisement
Advertisement