Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National pick up a hitch-hiker day 11/5 to ?

Options
  • 10-05-2013 12:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭

I see Bus Éarnan are off on their holliers for the foreseeable. Folks at the cycling forum will be delighted I'm shure. I say car drivers should stop and help as best we can. Show 'solidarity' with the commuters. Start picking up people in your cars if you're going their way.

Last thing we need is more job losses because people can't get the bus to work.

Michael Faherty of the NBRU says anything can happen once the all out strike begins on Sunday and there is no way to tell how long it will last.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭pedanticpat

Encouraging people to stand at the side of the road and get into a stranger's car. What could possibly go wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

the local priest here in arklow has volunteered to give lifts to schoolkids next week

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

start of college exams too.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

12/5 National Serial Killer day :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

National Bike Week starts early?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

7 minute abs! Not 8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭Gorilla Rising

Great idea! And folks can discuss the merits of the 7 minute abs vs the 8 minute abs program.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,861 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Where's Larry? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

If you see Rutger Hauer thumbing for a lift, sweet Jesus, don't stop for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

It's a good thing that most of the routes are now served by private companies who offer competitive fares and are unfettered by the curse of intransigent unions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭JD DABA

13/5 - national plastic sheeting and shovels sales day.

• Site Banned Posts: 124 ✭✭The Queen of England

In theory, I have no problem at all picking up hitch hikers.

In practice however, I rarely do as the majority of people who you see thumbing by the side of the road are normally odd looking men in wooly hats who look like they might be hiding a very dark secret.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭JD DABA

In theory, I have no problem at all picking up hitch hikers.

In practice however, I rarely do as the majority of people who you see thumbing by the side of the road are normally odd looking men in wooly hats who look like they might be hiding a very dark secret.

in orange jumpsuits with 'THIEF' carved on their head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Picking up hitchikers goes totally against everything that defines me as a person.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭lau1247

so totally would pick up a hot chick.. problem is that there is never any around :p

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

lau1247 wrote: »
    so totally would pick up a hot chick.. problem is that there is never any around :p

You could be in luck on Monday. never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I really need to take a break from the bookies.
    After reading the OP I was trying to work out what the hell the odds bad to do with it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,842 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Duggy747 wrote: »
    If you see Rutger Hauer thumbing for a lift, sweet Jesus, don't stop for him.

Or Sean Bean for that matter...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

squod wrote: »
    I say car drivers should stop and help as best we can. Show 'solidarity' with the commuters. Start picking up people in your cars if you're going their way.

Have you ever seen The Hitcher? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

If alone in the car in Ireland, I always pick up a thumber. Unless they look dog rough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

gandalf wrote: »
    12/5 National Serial Killer day :P

i'll give you a lift any day

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Systemic Risk

WilyCoyote wrote: »
    If alone in the car in Ireland, I always pick up a thumber. Unless they look dog rough.

What do you do with the bodies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

Will try to put that story out of my head before I hit the sack.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Does anyone else find it really bloody annoying that people now call it hitch-hiking, that is an Americanism, it's called thumbing and people who do it are called thumbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    Does anyone else find it really bloody annoying that people now call it hitch-hiking, that is an Americanism, it's called thumbing and people who do it are called thumbers.
    Darn' tootin'.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

well.....there always kavanaghs

Advertisement