Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obama to support Internet wiretapping program

Options
  • 09-05-2013 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭

I think this is unbelievable.. :eek:
    The US Government plans to use the Internet as a way to monitor everything people do in the privacy of their home.
    With more and more devices, needing constant connection to the Internet to function properly, this has to be a serious breach of privacy?
    They'll be able to check your emails, Private Documents, View your webcam :eek:, and see what games you've been playing on Xbox.. :pac:

LINK
    United States President Barack Obama is likely to endorse a Federal Bureau of Investigation effort that would ensure all Internet companies in the US provide a way for the government to conduct undetected, backdoor surveillance....

....At a press conference in Washington, DC in March, FBI general counsel Andrew Weissmann said the Department of Justice was determined to have the means to wiretap any online communication by 2014 and called it “a huge priority for the FBI.” Further developments last month revealed that the FBI was considering a fine-based model under which Internet companies would be forced to comply or risk being penalized beyond repair......

......“The US Department of Justice and the FBI believe they don't need a search warrant to review Americans' e-mails, Facebook chats, Twitter direct messages and other private files, internal documents reveal,” wrote McCullagh, citing a government documents obtained by the American Civil Liberties Union and provided to CNET.

Now, obviously they won't be using it to check on everybody all the time. But they could if they wanted. "You don't need the internet, so don't get it." - Cop on. For the tinfoil hat wearers, this is plenty fodder to think about.

We (I) thought Nineteen Eighty-Four had come when they put up CCTV everywhere..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

As if they are not doing this already. . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

As if they are not doing this already. . . .

...True....

..But currently it takes a bit of hassle. This is a highway direct to your door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

in before rtdh

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Terry1985

The UK have been intercepting all phone calls, faxes and emails for decades.

The real criminals will use stronger encryption and won't be affected by the US proposal. It'll just be less internet savvy people who will be caught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Allyall wrote: »
    ...True....

..But currently it takes a bit of hassle. This is a highway direct to your door.

so just let them get on with it if it means foiling people and their bad schemes instead of the rate intelligence is gathered is too slow and more innocents end up dying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

"We need to keep an eye on this guy, what's he doing now?"

"I believe he is touching himself again sir"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

in before rtdh
    He ran to the hills.... Or was sent to the hills....

... He was banned, is what I'm saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's ONLY to protect everyone FREDUMs dontyaknow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Pushtrak wrote: »
    He ran to the hills.... Or was sent to the hills....

... He was banned, the secret cabal of Jew-lizards that rule the world got him is what I'm saying.

Edited to fit into his worldview.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

1) Be happy that they are actually letting you know that they are going to do it.

2) Do they have the manpower to sit and watch everything that every single user in the world is doing ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

They'll be able to check your emails, Private Documents, View your webcam :eek:, and see what games you've been playing on Xbox.. :pac:

No they wont, unless they have remote access to your pc. Which they will not get.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Cue people posting up all sorts of crap on Facebook that it's 1984 we're living in, America is spying on you, you have no privacy, corporations are evil, Obama is watching you ****, etc......

.....then shortly afterwards, proceeds to upload pictures showing where they are, what they're doing while adding the current location of where they're living and adding to their profile where they are currently working.

Then the obligatory 500+ pictures of the dinner they're about to eat. :pac:

2) Do they have the manpower to sit and watch everything that every single user in the world is doing ?

They'll have automated system which raise alerts for keywords like bomb or visits to certain pro-terrorist websites.

They'll probably want a way of easily looking up ip addresses to names, and have risk scores for everyone in the us.

smash wrote: »
    No they wont, unless they have remote access to your pc. Which they will not get.

Nothing a simple Microsoft update couldn't accommodate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Time to move my priceless collection of MS paint drawings!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

They'll be able to check your emails, Private Documents, View your webcam

:eek::eek:

*covers webcam with gaffer tape

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

smash wrote: »

Agreed, such access as you bolded would be akin to searching your home without a search warrant.

The monitoring of your internet activity is essentially extending existing legislation which allows them to monitor phone calls.

I don't see the problem as long as an application must be made to a Judge prior to the monitoring, as with telephone monitoring.

There are enough terrorists and paedophiles using the internet to keep the FBI busy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭opti0nal

I don't see the problem as long as an application must be made to a Judge prior to the monitoring, as with telephone monitoring.
    The law was changed in Ireland two years ago. Under the Communications (Retention of Data) Act 2011, everyone's internet traffic, phone numbers called, email addresses mailed, and cellphone location data is retained (for 2 years, I think) by the telcos and can be handed over to the Gardai or Revenue on demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,393 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

All this reminds me of this. The logo must have been designed to kick the conspiracy nuts into overdrive.

Advertisement