Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Travelling with 2 kids to the Vendee, France in June 2013, with 2014 update

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

The once a week CORK ferry lands very early to Roscoff.

The other 2 more regular ferries from Stena and Irish Ferries from Dublin/ Roslare to Cherbourg and Roscoff land at a more humane time at 10.30 or 11 at the earliest.

Still, the idea of having a brekkie in the room yourself and saving the guts of 40euro (4*€10?) by bringing a relatively small stash of bread, cornflakes, milk and the likes is something to keep in mind.
    If it goes right, its something you lug to the room that wont have to be lugged back down again to the car!

Exactly, I've only ever travelled on the Brittany Ferries boat that goes on saturday , so I've no info on other boats. We've picked This one as I'd rather be getting up early and getting my driving out of the way as soon as possible. We got off the boat at 7:30am last year and were at our campsite in St Jean De Monts just after 12:30, giving us pretty much a whole day to set ourselves up.

Also, on the breakfast thing - you're dead right about the cost, even a croissant and a coffee will be north of five euros, and the crowds arent worth bothering with IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭tantipie

thanks for all the help guys,We booked sol a gogo for €790 for 8 nights..Tis very daunting as we've never done anything like this before:)Rosslare to Cherbourg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

tantipie wrote: »
    thanks for all the help guys,We booked sol a gogo for €790 for 8 nights..Tis very daunting as we've never done anything like this before:)Rosslare to Cherbourg

ahhh, you'll be grand...that camp site is down the coast from ours! what the ferry costing?

MidlandsM wrote: »
    ahhh, you'll be grand...that camp site is down the coast from ours! what the ferry costing?

That includes the ferry

• Registered Users Posts: 7,825 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

That includes the ferry
    does it include a cabin though?

• Advertisement

does it include a cabin though?

It does yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

how do you get the air out then? with your lungs? :pac::eek:

don't bother

they are basically ziplock bags

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

It does yeah

Thats a billy bargain!

spotted it on FB on Mon night and booked it Tue for June

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

spotted it on FB on Mon night and booked it Tue for June

Sol Agogo is a great spot. I've been there the last 3 years. Plenty for the kids to do and the same for adults. It's also right beside the beach so good for that too. The drive down is a bit daunting she looking at it but its a nice spin down with plenty of areas to stop on your way.

I was hoping to book that offer myself this year but I've a few other things on. That time of year down there tends to have decent weather too.

If you have kids, I'd advise a day trip to planet savage safari park. It's excellent and a whole day could be spent there.

• Advertisement

I cant recommend the trip highly enough. my top tips for an easy time are as follows

3. Breakfast on arrival in france is very early, and its totally jammers, your time is better served by getting a head start on getting down to the car deck and getting off the boat rather than waiting for the masses to filter out.before you leave, Boil the kettle in your room. While its boiling, transfer the milk from the flask into the empty bottle, then fill the flask with the boiling water.

4. Leave the boat, then drive a short distance to somewhere you can pull in and have yourself a light breakfast of cereal bars and tea. (I told you there was a method to my madness).

9. On the return trip (if leaving from roscoff), try and allow yourself some time in the town of roscoff, its actually a lovely little spot to while away a few hours. Also, there is no point in being overly early for the boat home, waiting in a carpark in the heat with kids is not a fun time.

10. Have fun!

if I think of anything else I'll add it on here later.

Can I ask are we not lined up on the boat and have to wait our turn to get of:confused:f

Can I ask are we not lined up on the boat and have to wait our turn to get of:confused:f

Yes you will be lined up in a queue to get off. If you have a speedy exit pass, you will need to be down early as your first off and you'll hold up others if your not ready to go when they pull in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

You'll have to wait your turn to an extent,but in general everyone is leaving at once. You'll have to get up super early on the cork ferry to get breakfast.

Yes you will be lined up in a queue to get off. If you have a speedy exit pass, you will need to be down early as your first off and you'll hold up others if your not ready to go when they pull in.

Advertisement