Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tenant Rights? Are they breaking the terms of agreement?

• 22-04-2013 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I am currently renting a property and since we have moved in at the beginning of January our heating has broken four times. This past time we let the letting agent know about the heating breaking again and it has been eleven days and the issue is still not fixed. We were told on Wednesday a plumber would be in, and then Thursday, then Friday, and now it will be tomorrow. We are also told to leave our keys out and they have been out for a solid week now which is a major security issue.

They have sent a plumber in and out of the house continually with the issue recocurring continually. As tenants we have been forced to return to our family homes in which are on the other side of dublin to simply shower and avoid getting sick again from the lack of heat.

Can you advise us of our rights in this instance? We are unhappy in this home and feel that we have been entirely let down by our letting agent and that our agreement has been broken. We would like to be reimbursed on the weeks without heating and potentially would like our deposit back and move out.

Can you advise me on how to proceed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Accomodation & Property

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

EMURPH1950 wrote: »
    I am currently renting a property and since we have moved in at the beginning of January our heating has broken four times. This past time we let the letting agent know about the heating breaking again and it has been eleven days and the issue is still not fixed. We were told on Wednesday a plumber would be in, and then Thursday, then Friday, and now it will be tomorrow. We are also told to leave our keys out and they have been out for a solid week now which is a major security issue.

They have sent a plumber in and out of the house continually with the issue recocurring continually. As tenants we have been forced to return to our family homes in which are on the other side of dublin to simply shower and avoid getting sick again from the lack of heat.

Can you advise us of our rights in this instance? We are unhappy in this home and feel that we have been entirely let down by our letting agent and that our agreement has been broken. We would like to be reimbursed on the weeks without heating and potentially would like our deposit back and move out.

Can you advise me on how to proceed?

I had a similar problem in a place I rented, although I was never without heat for 11 days.
    As long as the LLs fix the issue (which they seem to have been doing, even if it doesn't last) they aren't breaking a lease or an agreement. They are not responsible for things going wrong, only if they don't attend to the problems.

It is really important that you keep records of everything. If you take the case to PRTB you will have to back up your claims. In the meantime, you must keep asking the agent/LL to fix problems (via email so you have a record) so it can be shown to be a recurrent issue.

Although I eventually got damages for the heating issues in my rental, I was not awarded anything for a problem that I just gave up on (a dangerously faulty appliance).

Good luck though in getting out of the lease. Maybe the agency will let you out of it if you tell them you won't report them.

Advertisement