Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GSD i70

Options
  • 11-04-2013 9:59pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi following on from this thread I thought I would post some views on this panel after getting a very good demonstration of this today at ISEC.

Looks wise I like it,
    http://www.globalsecurity.ie/store/grade_2_wireless_intruder_alarm_.asp#page
    Tidy, compact & fresh looking.
    Not mad about their bells, but with the kit coming with an on board expander I would be using a global bell anyway.
    All wireless is 2 way so that eliminates the old arguments re that.
    IP lan card is very reasonably priced & now gives us IP on a cheaper panel available to everyone. IP is fully available , Apps are finished & available.
    Also remote configuration software is nice.
    Best of all is the ability to push notifications via the App. You can now have full remote control & monitoring via IP. This truly is free ongoing monitoring.
    IP access is also free with no charges for the App or access or use of the portal.
    Pricing is very competitive with both HKC & Visonic.
    This is how a new panel should be launched. Congrats to Aiden & all involved.
    I, for one am pretty excited about this panel. They have recognized the need for a reasonable IP panel that seems to tick all the boxes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Ninjakettle

Is there a GSM module (correct term?) available at launch for it? Or does it support other dialers?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

It has a built in PSTN/Voice dialler. There is a GSM available.
    But IP is the cheaper option once you have broadband.

Thanks.

This questions is a bit general so feel free to move it - but would IP be considered less reliable than GSM?
    Power cut (intentional or otherwise) or broadband outage would probably be more common than cellular outage. Also, would IP be usable for alarm monitoring? Does this or any IP unit use VOIP calling to the monitoring service?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

IMO IP is more secure than GSM.
    We have had these debates over & over & people have different views.
    You can find flaws in them all if you want to. I have UPC broadband & I have not had down time in months. When it does go down its usually just for 1-2 minutes.
    Likewise I can't remember the last power cut I've had.
    Remember GSM is the one that can be blocked without any physical tampering.

I do like the idea of IP controlled security!
    Do you know if apps are for iphone and android? presumably it's all browser accessible too?

Is this available for purchase soon?

• Advertisement

Apps are for both Android and iPhone.
    They are saying the panel will be in suppliers in the next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭John Kelly of

That looks interesting Koolkid. Do you have any idea of how much this panel and the other devices will cost?

Slightly dearer than Visonic but cheaper than HKC.
    PM me an email and I'll send you the price list.

KoolKid wrote: »
    It has a built in PSTN/Voice dialler. There is a GSM available.
    But IP is the cheaper option once you have broadband.

If using IP for monitoring for notification - do you know if alerts are sent only via a data chain (to a phone app, or email) or if it's possible (via SIP service or otherwise) to have the system text or ring a phone physically?

Its possible via a PSTN line or GSM to get standard voice or text alerts.
    Via IP its push notifications AFAIK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Retrovertigo

Any chance you could PM me a price list as well Koolkid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

All for this panel ... Can't fault it as of yet.
    I thought it was going to be a grade 3 panel though .
    What is it like operation wise ?
    finally a new fleet of panels to put the old stuff to shame .
    Any idea when it will be for sale ?
    Will there be any RF keypads or touchscreens?
    Size wise what is it like to the quantum ?
    Are all devices 2-way ?

Within the next week. I was to get up to a meeting with GSD this week, but I just didn't get a chance. Looks wise it's nice and fresh. See the link in my first post. I also like the large screen display. There is a touch screen on the way, I believe.
    Yes, the wireless is 2 way..
    Size wise it's more compact than the Quantum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

afaik anything wireless is grade 2.

The polling times and anti-masking requirements for grade 3 would mean changing batteries every month

Would every 20 secs not be sufficient for grade 3 ?
    HKCs poll every 20 sec but it won't show a fault for 20 mins minimum . Kinda defeats the purpose of polling every 20 secs. I thought that it being 2-way would mean polls aren't lost . . It will display it though if you try to arm .. "Waiting for Z2 back door" continue arming ?

any idea how the GSD reacts to sensors losing comms ?

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭John Kelly of

As far as I can gather the new hkc lan card can be used to arm/disarm and to access logs over the internet but it will not notify the user of alarm activations. This means they would have to also purchase a dtv or gsm for self monitoring. wtf?

They are also not very clear about how it will handle connections, with talk of paid subscriptions etc. They are playing catch up again it would seem.

Any word on the i70?

Ready to go AFAIK.
    I'm away after the bank holiday , I'm hoping to get stuck into this once I'm back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

Can someone pm me a price list please?

• Advertisement

Sent you a PM..;)

Has anyone got to play around with the panel yet ? Any good ?

Yeah , spent a few hours with it with Aiden last week. I'm well impressed.
    All going well we will be rolling this out in a couple of weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

Who designs all this equipmentand are they made in Ireland?

GSD & Yes they are Irish.

How is the system armed ?
    Is it the traditional 0#7 + code?

Who uses that anymore???:confused:

Who doesn't use it haha... It's the easiest/quickest way to arm a system :D
    Every co I've been with uses it

The only system still using it is HKC.
    Before that it was Home Guard/Vista 5.... Don't think you were installing them ;)

• Advertisement

Aritech systems ,,
    Then other systems use dedicated keys like lock symbols and then request the code .

Advertisement