Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1991 BEST YEAR EVER

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Got the Carwash Hair 7" for 50p in Virgin Tallaght on a freezing cold January day in 1992. Funny the things you remember. They played the Rock Garden around the same time. I picked up Yerself Is Steam a few weeks afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭mosstin

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    Got the Carwash Hair 7" for 50p in Virgin Tallaght on a freezing cold January day in 1992. Funny the things you remember. They played the Rock Garden around the same time. I picked up Yerself Is Steam a few weeks afterwards.

I bought it solely based on a Chris Roberts' review in Melody Maker. Wasn't disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭julio_iglayzis

nlgbbbblth wrote: »

Was that the gig where David Baker stage dived and the crowd parted like the red sea?

1991 really was an incredible year. I was 14 and only really starting to listen to music properly, I got to see the Pixies, Sonic Youth, Nirvana and Dinosaur Jr in the space of a few months. I'd give my left nutsack to see that SY/Nirvana gig in the Top Hat again.
    Great albums released in 1991 that are worth mentioning too are Whipping Boy's Submarine*, Smashing Pumpkins Gish and The Orb's Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld.
    * I know this was recorded in 91 but it may not have been released until 92

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭AhrSkidar

Hadn't really thought about how good 1991 was until I started reading this.

To Mercury Rev, Talk Talk and Slint, I'd add two others.

For some reason Michael Gira seems to have effectively disowned "White Light from the Mouth of Infinity", but for me it's the best Swans' album.

Also, given my username, I have to give a shout out to Thin White Rope's studio swansong "The Ruby Sea". Probably not their very best, but it does have Hunter's Moon on it.

1991 was also the year I saw Jane's Addiction in the Brixton Academy. A gig against which all others are still judged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Was that the gig where David Baker stage dived and the crowd parted like the red sea?

1991 really was an incredible year. I was 14 and only really starting to listen to music properly, I got to see the Pixies, Sonic Youth, Nirvana and Dinosaur Jr in the space of a few months. I'd give my left nutsack to see that SY/Nirvana gig in the Top Hat again.
    Great albums released in 1991 that are worth mentioning too are Whipping Boy's Submarine*, Smashing Pumpkins Gish and The Orb's Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld.
    * I know this was recorded in 91 but it may not have been released until 92

SY/Nirvana gig in the Top Hat that was some gig , Pure noise by Nirvana and then magic by Sonic Youth--- F*** Me :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭julio_iglayzis

AhrSkidar wrote: »
    For some reason Michael Gira seems to have effectively disowned "White Light from the Mouth of Infinity", but for me it's the best Swans' album.

Forgot about this one - yeah, I agree with you, it's a fantastic album. This and Love of Life are their two best albums, I can't fathom why he's written them out of their history.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Prettyblack

1995 was great too:

Red House Painters - Ocean Beach
    Neil Young - Mirror Ball
    Foo Fighters' first album (the only one I ever bought)
    Supergrass - I Should Coco
    Bjork - Post
    Oasis - Morning Glory
    Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie
    Beatles - Anthology (yup)
    Passengers - Original Soundtracks Vol 1
    Tricky - Maxinquaye
    King Crimson - Thrak

The Britpop thing as well was taking off which was initially very exciting, plus the club scene was exploding and there were great compilations like Renaissance coming out.

I actually think 1993 was the best year of the 90's. You are spoiled for choice when it comes to great albums:

The Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
    Slowdive - Souvlaki
    Afghan Whigs - Gentlemen
    The Auteurs - New Wave
    The Breeders - Last Splash
    Suede - Suede
    Yo La Tengo - Painful
    Tiger Trap - Tiger Trap
    Red House Painters - Red House Painters (Rollercoaster)

and many, many more.

May I add:

Bjork - Debut
    PJ Harvey - Rid Of Me
    Nirvana - In Utero
    Pearl Jam - Vs
    Jamiroquai - Emergency on Planet Earth
    Belly - Star
    Frank Black - Frank Black
    U2 - Zooropa
    Lemonheads - Come On Feel The Lemonheads

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Goolay

1994 will always be my fav year in music. It was the year I discovered music really, and had all of these bad boys on cassette :)

Beastie Boys - Ill Communication
    Blur - Parklife
    Beck - Mellow Gold
    Nirvana - Unplugged in NY
    Oasis - Definitely Maybe
    Pavement - Crooked Rain
    Portishead - Dummy
    The Prodigy - Music for the Jilted Generation
    Jeff Buckley - Grace
    Jon Spencer Blues Explosion - Orange
    Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Let Love In

Goolay wrote: »
    1994 will always be my fav year in music. It was the year I discovered music really, and had all of these bad boys on cassette :)

Beastie Boys - Ill Communication
    Blur - Parklife
    Beck - Mellow Gold
    Nirvana - Unplugged in NY
    Oasis - Definitely Maybe
    Pavement - Crooked Rain
    Portishead - Dummy
    The Prodigy - Music for the Jilted Generation
    Jeff Buckley - Grace
    Jon Spencer Blues Explosion - Orange
    Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Let Love In

Ahem, may I add: :)

Charlatans - Up To Our Hips
    Ride - Carnival Of Light
    Jamiroquai - Return Of The Space Cowboy
    Brand New Heavies - Brother Sister
    STP - Purple
    Stina Nordenstam - And She Closed Her Eyes
    Frank Black - Teenager Of The Year
    Weezer - Weezer
    Smashing Pumpkins - Pisces Iscariot
    Pearl Jam - Vitalogy
    Stone Roses - Second Coming
    Massive Attack - Protection

What a year! What a decade really, if you think about it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

Yep, 1991 is my favourite musical year ever!

So many greats already mentioned.

I'd add:

Babes In Toyland - To Mother
    Smashing Pumpkins - Gish

1992, 1993 and 1998 were also the biz.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭mosstin

Dear other years during the 90s that weren't 1991,
    **** off and get your own thread.
    All the best.

Advertisement