Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Orphan Black [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

Great episode and one heck of an ending.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Jayyyyysus. Orphan Black has a fondness for the occasional burst of squirm-inducing gore or violence, but that final scene of episode 7 was excruciating, prolonged and graphic. I'd like to think I have a fairly strong stomach for that kind of thing but even I started to look away as it went on. Yikes. I'll never look at a martini glass the same way again :eek: :)

At first I was wondering how she managed not to pass out when sticking the glass into her eye. Then it occurred to me that the eye was fake so stabbing it won't hurt but pulling it out of the socket and detaching it from the brain or optic nerve has got to hurt like hell. Still tough to watch though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

I couldn't watch it. Then again I can't look at someone putting in contacts though...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Seems to be a bit of a continuity error though as it kind of looked like, looking at the camera feed, she was stabbing the other eye.

• Advertisement

Siobhan is dead. A real shame to see her go, a great character that anchored all the clones together.

Only two more episodes left to tie it all up, mind you I have lost track of all the twists and turns.

I think the writers over rely on the trick of having a character seem to be a good guy and then have them go bad, only to reveal that they were only pretending to be bad. They also constantly cast suspicion on various characters. I am left having my doubts about every non-clone character. It seems clever but ultimately I am just left confused about some characters as their motivation is never clear.

For example Delphine. I really don't care about her any more because it seems like multiple times in every episode she is shown as being totally in love with Cosima and dedicated to helping the clones, then they play the suspicious music and have her sneak away to another covert meeting only to return and be helpful again. I can't love or hate her because she has no consist motivation, so why should I care about her.

Also, Art should start his own day care (called 'Clone Care'). He has his own daughter and is now babysitting Kira and Charlotte. Someone needs to look after poor abandoned Oscar and Gemma. Soon he will also have Helena's kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

I enjoyed the previous seasons but i'm finding it hard to be enthusiastic about this one.

Every episode has multiple pointless double/triple crosses, they seem intent on bringing back every minor character whose stories had already been wrapped up fairly well previously and the whole thing has lost the sense of fun that the earlier seasons had.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

I got spoiled about
    Siobhan dying on twitter, damnit. It's not even a huge show....Anyway, it was quite sad just because Maria Doyle is so great in the role, even though I'm still not sure I ever fully grasped her backstory. The clone switching was a great idea, and I was happy to see Colin back (apparently they've been dating off-screen the last few seasons?)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

lawlolawl wrote: »
    I enjoyed the previous seasons but i'm finding it hard to be enthusiastic about this one.

Every episode has multiple pointless double/triple crosses, they seem intent on bringing back every minor character whose stories had already been wrapped up fairly well previously and the whole thing has lost the sense of fun that the earlier seasons had.

It's typical enough behaviour for last seasons of shows though: you bring back all those side characters for a last hurrah before sailing the show off into the sunset. Myself, I've liked it, even if I've needed to think for a second about just who so-and-so was. Some of the returnees have felt like plots from prehistory (such as Allison's bestie killed by her scarf trapped in the garbage disposal).

As for the most recent episode? :(
    It's remarkable really that Mrs. S has lasted as long as she has really, given her status as the 'take no prisoners' matriarch of our heroes. Still a kick in the gut to see her die, albeit in a moment that finally give her children some peace

Last couple of episodes have really had characters dropping like flies.

Should be a good one next week.

A bit strange though that they didn't use the actress who plays Charlotte to portray the young Helena.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Thought that as well but apparently the Charlotte actress is too old for the age they wanted Helena to be here.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

flazio wrote: »
    Thought that as well but apparently the Charlotte actress is too old for the age they wanted Helena to be here.

Strange logic. Easier to make her look younger than pass a completely different looking person off as the same character.

flazio wrote: »

The interview I read said they just needed an actor who could convey Helena's mannerisms and energy, I guess the Charlotte/Young Ledas actress couldn't portray Helena well enough.

Well it's fair to say this show is really burning through its cast at this 11th hour; I'm sure the last episode will itself claim the lives of some of them. Anyone want to make some predictions as to who? Sticking with protagonists or 'neutral' characters that is, I guess we can presume
    Cody and Westmorland
    will likely get offed.

My guess is for
    Art; he's already in trouble having murdered the neolution lackey, and feels like he's in the 'best' position for a last-minute sacrafice to save the day.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Well it's fair to say this show is really burning through its cast at this 11th hour; I'm sure the last episode will itself claim the lives of some of them. Anyone want to make some predictions as to who? Sticking with protagonists or 'neutral' characters that is, I guess we can presume
    Cody and Westmorland
    will likely get offed.

My guess is for
    Art; he's already in trouble having murdered the neolution lackey, and feels like he's in the 'best' position for a last-minute sacrafice to save the day.

I think
    Cody is already dead.

Occono wrote: »
    I think
    Cody is already dead.

I had wondered that, but
    it seemed like a very offhand death if that's the case; Cody feels too big a player to be killed so casually IMO, especially given everyone else offed has had their finale scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,446 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yeah I think Coady is just knocked out. No doubt she'll have a more dramatic comeuppance in the finale.

Not sure why you're using spoiler tags, BTW.

Mr E wrote: »
    Yeah I think Coady is just knocked out. No doubt she'll have a more dramatic comeuppance in the finale.

Not sure why you're using spoiler tags, BTW.

Speculating on a future episode based on the one only just broadcast; don't think it's necessary, but feels like common courtesy all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Well, that was a bit crap.

I feel like the last season just shouldn't have happened. It was a mess and the last episode was a wet fart.

lawlolawl wrote: »
    Well, that was a bit crap.

I feel like the last season just shouldn't have happened. It was a mess and the last episode was a wet fart.

Counterpoint, it was a wonderful cheerio for a bunch of three dimensional characters who deserved a send off and a finale that focused on the sisters getting on with their lives, not the big showy conspiracy. The show was always heading in this direction, this ultimately was the goal they all wanted.

Tatiana Maslany deserves all the awards. Said a million times but the manner she made every scene feel natural and not an effect was amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Yeah I'm mixed on the ending. Felt too wrapped up with a bow but at the same time it really showed the effect and how the journey will effect them long term was good. I'm more happy than meh, maybe I was expecting too much

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Overall, I'm glad there was a happy ending. I was half-expecting that the last 10-15 mins of the show was a dream and that Helena died in childbirth!

The scene in Alison's garden reminded me of the dream sequence was shot in an earlier series, with the vivid colour and almost cartoon-like expressions on everyone's faces, so I couldn't get rid of the feeling that something awful was going to happen.

I have thoroughly enjoyed this show, despite one or two questionable plot lines, and I'll really miss it. I'd even go as far as to say it's been one of my all time favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

I enjoyed it, that episode made me cry twice - when Helena had the babies and when she named them. Brilliant show, I'll miss it. Some smaller loose ends of course that were never tied up but all in all I was happy enough. Would have liked to see Cal and Jesse back for one last hurrah in the finale.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,446 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Some Orphan Black news...

Orphan Black: The Next Chapter is new story and an audio-only update to the show.
    It is set 8 years after the end of the last series.

Episode 1 is on up Serial Box and Episode 1 (released yesterday) is free to listen to and read.
    New episodes every Thursday - purchase the season for $9.99 if you like the first one.
    Tatiana Maslany does the narration/voices and the first episode is about 30 minutes long.
    https://www.serialbox.com/serials/orphan-black?season=1

Interview with Tatiana about what to expect:
    https://www.tvguide.com/news/tatiana-maslany-teases-orphan-blacks-exciting-next-chapter/

A new series set in the same universe may be on the way (Tatiana says she is not involved).
    https://www.tvguide.com/news/orphan-black-series-amc/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭DeWitt

Mr E wrote: »
    Some Orphan Black news...

Orphan Black: The Next Chapter is new story and an audio-only update to the show.
    It is set 8 years after the end of the last series.

Episode 1 is on up Serial Box and Episode 1 (released yesterday) is free to listen to and read.
    New episodes every Thursday - purchase the season for $9.99 if you like the first one.
    Tatiana Maslany does the narration/voices and the first episode is about 30 minutes long.
    https://www.serialbox.com/serials/orphan-black?season=1

Interview with Tatiana about what to expect:
    https://www.tvguide.com/news/tatiana-maslany-teases-orphan-blacks-exciting-next-chapter/

A new series set in the same universe may be on the way (Tatiana says she is not involved).
    https://www.tvguide.com/news/orphan-black-series-amc/

Just FYI I was charged €10.99 and the option is there to pay via excess phone credit if you'd prefer.

Delighted to have Tatiana doing the narration. I've missed these characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,842 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Orphan Black Offshoot Echoes Ordered to Series at AMC

• Nice one..I've been half thinking about watching O.B. again..

Quality..

Mild necro thread going on there; was surprised to see it bumped but more surprised it's about a spin off. 5 years after the fact feels a little late to jump into the world again

• Registered Users Posts: 84,842 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Advertisement

That's a casting choice that has switched my interest from meh to "I'm listening..."

Orphan Black: Echoes is set in the world of the flagship series and takes place in the new future. The series, which explores the scientific manipulation of human existence, revolves around a group of women as they weave their way into each other’s lives and embark on a thrilling journey, unraveling the mystery of their identity and uncovering a wrenching story of love and betrayal.

Ritter will star as Lucy, a woman with an unimaginable origin story who is trying to find her place in the world. The casting marks a return to AMC for Ritter, who previously played Jane Margolis in Breaking Bad.  

Like, the article is surely dancing around the fact this is going to be another set of clones: Ritter is an excellent character actor who couldn't be accused of typecasting; she could easily play a new, half-dozen set of clones. Given the whole pillar of the show is one actor playing multiple parts - it seems a safe guess to my mind.

She's busy in the MCU now but I wonder will we get any cameos from the remaining clones played by Tatiana Maslany.

Advertisement