Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MLB: 2013 Season Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,530 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Just to let people know ESPN is free for weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,351 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Napoli sits, Big Papi plays first base. I'm very nervous for this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,749 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Just to let people know ESPN is free for weekend!

Game 3 isn't on ESPN though. BT sport tonight.

2-0 St. Louis after 1.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    2-0 St. Louis after 1.

Peavy struggling for control.

Looks like Red Sox are purposefully not swinging at every first pitch, easy strikes for Joe. 2nd time around I expect them swinging first time

• Advertisement

Strange ending to the game and the cardinals win 5-4 to go 2-1 up in the series.

Strange ending to the game and the cardinals win 5-4 to go 2-1 up in the series.

Very strange but whatever, better team won. I can't see them not winning the series now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

8-10 wrote: »
    Very strange but whatever, better team won. I can't see them not winning the series now

What is it with Red Sox players throwing the ball away in this series? Bizarre. Although not as critical, last night it kind of reminded me in some way of Bill Buckner.

Hi yeah seen that but bt sports free as well?very handy timing

Salty benched (or rested) for game 4

• Advertisement

Salty benched (or rested) for game 4

Interesting Sox really need to win this one

Interesting Sox really need to win this one

Ross is hitting better. Aka hitting

I like the move to get Nava and Gomes in with Victorino benched.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭dartsfan

I have a few questions on baseball, as I'm very much new to it:
    1. When Lester was at the plate tonight, he just wanted to "tip" it short, as opposed to going for it properly like all the other hitters. Why was this? At the time there were Red Sox on first and second
    2. If I look at a players "position" on Wikipedia, I'm told that Pedrioa is a second second baseman and Kevin Youkilis is a first baseman. But does this mean that their primary function is a hitter, and this is their position on defense? I'm just trying to understand their speciality

dartsfan wrote: »
    I have a few questions on baseball, as I'm very much new to it:
    1. When Lester was at the plate tonight, he just wanted to "tip" it short, as opposed to going for it properly like all the other hitters. Why was this? At the time there were Red Sox on first and second
    2. If I look at a players "position" on Wikipedia, I'm told that Pedrioa is a second second baseman and Kevin Youkilis is a first baseman. But does this mean that their primary function is a hitter, and this is their position on defense? I'm just trying to understand their speciality

1. I wasn't watching earlier so I can only presume Lester was bunting? Is that what you mean? Lester's is a pitcher and 99% of the pitchers can't bat to save their lives. It's even worse for teams in the AL as they have the designated hitter so don't ever have to bat but as they are playing in a NL park, NL rules apply so there's no DH and pitchers have to bat.

It's almost a given that Lester would have not been able to do anything with the bat so by bunting, at least he has a chance of moving the runners already on base over to the next base for the next batter up.

2. Most position players are there to hit but they also need to be at least competent in their position in the field. If you are the best hitter in the world but the worst fielder, you'll probably end up on an AL team where you can DH. But for the most part, players are athletes who can at least hold their own in their chosen position so even average position players will survive if they can perform with the bat.

Lester was indeed bunting. I just finished watching Game 5 delayed, got up early enough to give me 4hrs before work but with fast forwarding commercial breaks it was actually just over 2hrs!

Some incredible pitching on either side. Only a single walk by either team all night. Could have gone either way but Sox kept the lead well after going ahead.

Now back to Boston...

1. I wasn't watching earlier so I can only presume Lester was bunting? Is that what you mean? Lester's is a pitcher and 99% of the pitchers can't bat to save their lives. It's even worse for teams in the AL as they have the designated hitter so don't ever have to bat but as they are playing in a NL park, NL rules apply so there's no DH and pitchers have to bat.

It's almost a given that Lester would have not been able to do anything with the bat so by bunting, at least he has a chance of moving the runners already on base over to the next base for the next batter up.

2. Most position players are there to hit but they also need to be at least competent in their position in the field. If you are the best hitter in the world but the worst fielder, you'll probably end up on an AL team where you can DH. But for the most part, players are athletes who can at least hold their own in their chosen position so even average position players will survive if they can perform with the bat.

Thanks for the info. I may have more questions after tomorrow night.

One other quick q, are the strike zone judgements performed by a technology like Hawkeye, or are they made by the umpire at the plate? I presume it's the latter although I haven't seen any whinging yet about the umpires making a bad mistake like you'd see in other sports.

Also, when watching a game, how do you know whether the pitching is really good or the batting is bad when determining performance levels of a team? Or does this come with experience of watching?

One other quick q, are the strike zone judgements performed by a technology like Hawkeye, or are they made by the umpire at the plate? I presume it's the latter although I haven't seen any whinging yet about the umpires making a bad mistake like you'd see in other sports.

Also, when watching a game, how do you know whether the pitching is really good or the batting is bad when determining performance levels of a team? Or does this come with experience of watching?

It's a real shame you're starting to watch with only 1 or 2 of the 2,500-odd mlb games left this year!

In short yes strike zones are judged by the home plate umpire who squats behind the catcher. And you definitely do see disputed calls! It's impressive how good they are though and also impressive how players can influence the zone. For example a catcher might catch a low ball but immediately raise and hold his glove still to try and say that the ball was in the zone. Or a batter might reel back or lean in to certain strikes to indicate that he thinks it's a ball. Slight exaggerated moves like that do work and are a skill.

In terms of bad batting/good pitching it's tough to say in general, you really have to take each game on its merits and look at where the pitcher is locating his pitches and the velocity. It's very impressive when you can see the pitcher set up a few pitches in a row in the same location or velocity and then change when the batter is clearly expecting a certain pitch to get the swinging strike. The catcher's role can't be understated either, arguably the most important position on the team.

I would say a lot is viewing experience, and in particular I find that good commentators helps your understanding hugely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Every now and again you will get a row about certain calls but this isn't too common.

Thanks again. Also, last night I saw one of the coaches come out to the pitch and started making amusing hand signals, these seemed to be directed to the outfielders rather than the catcher/pitcher, why would this be? Or did I pick this up wrong?

Thanks again. Also, last night I saw one of the coaches come out to the pitch and started making amusing hand signals, these seemed to be directed to the outfielders rather than the catcher/pitcher, why would this be? Or did I pick this up wrong?

Is there a chance it was a coach from the hitting side? If so, he was relaying signals to runners on base instructing them whether to try and steal a base or not or when to to try and steal or try the hit and run play etc.

If it was a coach from the fielding team, he could have been telling the outfielders the way the pitcher and catcher are going to deal with the batter. Normally this could be done when they're all in the dugout in between innings or in pre game meetings as they know for the most part who they'll be facing but they might have decided to change something. This information would be stuff like where they should stand in the field etc and how deep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Let's see if this guy can ignite something Southside in Chicago. They've had very little to cheer about in recent years and their squad and farm aren't great!

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/9899364/jose-abreu-deal-chicago-white-sox-was-calculated-risk-general-manager-rick-hahn-says

no score middle 2nd inning and fenway is rocking. boston is ready to party.

VICTORINO!! boom

Oh **** me this is tense. Let's go Red Sox!!

When Stephen Drew hits a home run you know the night is going well.

Not getting overly excited yet though, long way to go

I know the 2004 world series wasnt won in boston and 2007 i think wasn't so this could be the first world series the red sox clinch in boston since at least 1918.

bases loaded. not going well for st louis.

Victorino in the postseason with bases loaded...6 for 8 with 20 RBI's. Not bad!

MVP doesn't even have to swing tonight to score. He got 2 runs after 2 intentional walks.

6-0 but still 5 innings to go......ahhhh I need to seriously relax but Cards are just a good inning from being back in it

I know the 2004 world series wasnt won in boston and 2007 i think wasn't so this could be the first world series the red sox clinch in boston since at least 1918.

Yep. Woodrow Wilson was President!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Elsbury avoided a run down in the 5th inning.
    I think its the first time I have ever seen that happen.

Advertisement