Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You 'feels' you lose

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Some WWI trenches today

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

..🐧

• Registered Users Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I’m sorry but there’s a distinct smell of bullsh1t off the last couple of posts…..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

I have a true personal experience story, to offer....

When my father died, my mother wanted to play a song at his funeral. She said that he sang it to her in the church on their wedding day, over 50 years earlier. I had never heard my dad sing... ever..... and I didn't believe that he did, but on talking to some elderly relatives who were at the wedding, they confirmed my mam's story - Dad had indeed sung a song at the altar.

With some words that she remembered, I discovered that it was a song by Mario Lanza, called 'Because' and having sourced a download of it, mam got her wish and it was played at Dad's funeral mass. In giving the eulogy however, I joked that even with the eye witness accounts, I still didn't believe that Dad had sung a song in public, let alone one by Mario Lanza.

Three weeks later, I had gathered all the necessary paperwork together to register Dad's death and I called to the civic registry office, during my lunch break. It was their lunch break too, so it was closed and I had 45 mins to wait, before it opened again. I walked down the street and saw a charity shop. Dad and I were regular visitors to charity shops and we would often buy each other odd bits and pieces that we thought would be of personal interest. I felt it appropriate that I should use the time to have a wander through a charity shop, on that particular day... dad would have appreciated that I was continuing our shared interest.

On entering the shop, I saw a box of old 7 inch vinyl singles and I went over for a rummage. I nearly collapsed at the first one I picked out ... it was 'Because' by Mario Lanza. I put it back in shock and ran out of the shop, before convincing myself that I had go back and buy it. After I went back to the civic office and had registered my dad's death, I bought a frame and put the record in it, with a picture of Mam and Dad on their wedding day.

When I gave it to my mother, she cried and asked where i got it... I told her that Dad wanted her to have it.... it's the only explanation I could give as to how I came across it, on that particular day.

I still visit charity shops... and sometimes I have to stop myself buying items that I know he would have liked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,089 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

💔🎶.

pp

People are the worst of all the animals.

This is 7 years old at least, but still...

🦄.

The bombardment Pointe du Hoc or ground zero during Normandy

• Advertisement

Advertisement