Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

RIP thread for people involved in film

Comments

Thats really quite incredible. One of the reasons that films stands out still today and everybody remembers it. Makes me hate the CGI of today even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Malik Bendjelloul, the Oscar winning director of Searching For Sugar Man, as died aged 36

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/may/14/searching-for-sugar-man-director-malik-bendjelloul-dies-aged-36

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Thats really quite incredible. One of the reasons that films stands out still today and everybody remembers it. Makes me hate the CGI of today even more.

They got their children to wear spacesuits in some shots to make it look even larger :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Yeti Beast

Malik Bendjelloul, the Oscar winning director of Searching For Sugar Man, as died aged 36

Jesus, no age at all. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,261 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

that second Giger picture was my pc background for ages

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/may/14/searching-for-sugar-man-director-malik-bendjelloul-dies-aged-36

RIP.

Awful news. Searching for Sugarman really was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Gordon Willis, the legendary cinematographer of films such as The Godfather, Manhattan and Klute has died at the age of 82.

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Gordon Willis, the legendary cinematographer of films such as The Godfather, Manhattan and Klute has died at the age of 82.

RIP

A true classicist of the New Hollywood era and also one of its top stylists - you knew a Willis film when you were looking at one. More low key than some others of that era - he dealt in subtle shades rather than "dramatic" colour and lighting but no less talented clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,120 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Rik Mayall has died at the age of 56.

IrishTimes

• Registered Users Posts: 84,108 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Ruby Dee (A Raisin in the Sun and American Gangster) has died - RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭MfMan

The great Eli Wallach.

"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

So thats the bad and the ugly both gone.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

He was also older than all but one (Brynner) of the Magnificent Seven, but survived all but one of them (Vaughan).

Total legend. He cropped up totally unrecognisable to me in How To Steel A Million too. He's actually a real chameleon.

Pretty much the last of the old great cinema stars, bar Kirk Douglas there's no one of any real note left. He was one of cinemas finest actors whom never really received the recognition he deserved. Think I'll throw on the Magnificent Seven later on today, been meaning to rewatch it for awhile but the mood hasn't hit me. Think that followed by the episode of Murder She Wrote that he was in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Eli Wallach a great actor.

RIP Eli Wallach - I thought he was already dead tbh :o

Paul Mazursky (Down and Out in Beverly Hills) has died - RIP

Elaine Stritch has died RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Paul Mazursky (Down and Out in Beverly Hills) has died - RIP

Didn't know that! Guardian film pages (my usual haunt) are so full of fanboy superhero crap these days actual hard news slips by.

He directed one of my favourite films - Harry and Tonto (1974) about an elderly man (and his cat) in New York who embark on a winding journey to see his son (Larry Hagman) in California. He really should have become a solid A grade director but hit the buffers after An Unmarried Woman apart from "Down and Out..."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Elaine Stritch has died RIP

She did an episode of Just A Minute back in the way with Kenneth Williams and the gang, it was absolutely hilarious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭rednik

Just hear James Garner has died, RIP. Grew up with The Rockford Files. Many great roles in a long career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Same here re Rockford files. I really liked James in a lot of roles. Grand Prix is a classic for car nuts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

:(

Away from Rockford Files Support Your Local Sheriff was a Garner favourite, very funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭rednik

:(

Away from Rockford Files Support Your Local Sheriff was a Garner favourite, very funny.

It was very funny in contrast to Hour of the gun in which Garner gave a very good performance of Wyatt Earp.

rednik wrote: »
    Just hear James Garner has died, RIP. Grew up with The Rockford Files. Many great roles in a long career.

RIP

Watched again recently The Notebook, he was great in that

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

He was great in Maverick too, which is silly but really fun. Great cast too, James Coburn, Alfred Molina to name but a few.

Panna Ritthikrai who directed the Ong-Bak sequels and was a renowned stunt man died/fight coordinator died from Liver cancer over the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

James Shigeta Dead at 81: Character Actor and Singer Had Memorable Roles in Die Hard and Flower Drum Song

nm0793363.jpg

James Shigeta started off by conquering the American Idol of his day. The singer and character actor won first place on the 1950s staple The Original Amateur Hour, and that proved to be a launching pad for a career on stage and screen. Shigeta, whose long career allowed for memorable appearances in the likes of the 1961 musical Flower Drum Song and then 1988's Die Hard, has died. He was 81. "It is with great sadness that I report the loss of my long time friend and client James Shigeta," his agent said in a statement to E! News Monday. "James was the biggest East Asian U.S. star the country had known.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,378 ✭✭✭JoeA3

James Shigeta Dead at 81: Character Actor and Singer Had Memorable Roles in Die Hard and Flower Drum Song

nm0793363.jpg

James Shigeta started off by conquering the American Idol of his day. The singer and character actor won first place on the 1950s staple The Original Amateur Hour, and that proved to be a launching pad for a career on stage and screen. Shigeta, whose long career allowed for memorable appearances in the likes of the 1961 musical Flower Drum Song and then 1988's Die Hard, has died. He was 81. "It is with great sadness that I report the loss of my long time friend and client James Shigeta," his agent said in a statement to E! News Monday. "James was the biggest East Asian U.S. star the country had known.

Ahhh no... Mr TaDallas Ugly Gooni!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭snaphook

He won't be joining us for the rest of his life.

RIP.

Advertisement