Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€250 Android phone

Options
  • 16-03-2013 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭

Max budget is €250. I have a lumia 800 and looking to make the move to Android. Good battery life is a must, my lumia just about lasts me the day (1450maH ) . Have no problem buying a Chinese phone, was looking at the jiayu g3 in particular. (Would like a note or sgs3 style)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

Max budget is €250. I have a lumia 800 and looking to make the move to Android. Good battery life is a must, my lumia just about lasts me the day (1450maH ) . Have no problem buying a Chinese phone, was looking at the jiayu g3 in particular. (Would like a note or sgs3 style)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/B92M-Android-Dual-Core-Capacitive-Smartphone/dp/B00A7ND5LG/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt

£149.99 [€174ish]

Review, and cheaper from China.....

http://android-sale.com/hdc-galaxy-s3-i9300-phone.html

Can be bought from Amazon, free shipping, to Parcel Motel in NI.....

93ea4249-0070-462f-8354-890bf1a3770c.jpg

sorry I picked my deliverme.ie address, but it's the same thing!!

Parcel Motel give you 2 free deliveries to the drop point, so it would be free!!! It's only €3.50 anyway....and it works very well!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

http://www.amazon.co.uk/B92M-Android-Dual-Core-Capacitive-Smartphone/dp/B00A7ND5LG/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt

£149.99 [€174ish]

Review, and cheaper from China.....

http://android-sale.com/hdc-galaxy-s3-i9300-phone.html

Can be bought from Amazon, free shipping, to Parcel Motel in NI.....

93ea4249-0070-462f-8354-890bf1a3770c.jpg

sorry I picked my deliverme.ie address, but it's the same thing!!

Parcel Motel give you 2 free deliveries to the drop point, so it would be free!!! It's only €3.50 anyway....and it works very well!!!
    I have the b93 and the battery is lucky to last half the day if your doing any kind of browsing.

Only let down with the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Nice phone but only 512mb of ram, Would need 1GB,

Has that phone a big brother?

Nice phone but only 512mb of ram, Would need 1GB,

Has that phone a big brother?

there are loads, I just used that as an example, and it is shipped by Amazon, so it is reliable!!!

512MB is OK for a sub-€200 phone, IMO. it's dual-core!!

Did you read the review.

Sorry, I think I gave the wrong link, here it is:

http://www.gizchina.com/2012/11/03/exclusive-complete-comprensive-star-b92m-hdc-galaxy-s3-ex-review/

I also think there are custom ROM's available, and Battery drain can be an issue with all Android Smart phones. There are ways to minimize it.

Another topic, another day!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Justin10

I dont think you can beat the Jiayu G3 for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

http://shop.vodafone.ie/shop/phones-and-plans/phones/pay-as-you-go/phone-details/samsung-galaxy-s3-mini-blue

Samsung Galaxy S3 mini on voda. If you switch a number from another network and buy online via fatcheese.ie you would get it for 200ish.

http://shop.vodafone.ie/shop/phones-and-plans/phones/pay-as-you-go/phone-details/samsung-galaxy-s3-mini-blue

Samsung Galaxy S3 mini on voda. If you switch a number from another network and buy online via fatcheese.ie you would get it for 200ish.

Good cop Whimsical......here is a comparison, Sammy wins!!!

http://www.morecellphone.com/compare/phones/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-mini-gt-i8190-16gb-vs-jiayu-jy-g3/220434

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Xperia J is €199 in o2.
    Specs aren't as good as the S3 mini, but a nice alternative if you aren't on Vodafone.

I certainly wouldn't say the mini wins.

First of all, the G3 is much cheaper (and let's cancel out the fact that you might get hit with customs with the fact that Fatcheese will give you your money in about 10 years).

Secondly, the screen on the G3 is both bigger and more resolute. (And yes, some people don't like big screens, but this screen isn't particularly big by any stretch of the imagination).

The cameras are also better and it is has dual sim capabilities which is handy for holidays etc.

The only positive I can see for the mini is higher internal storage. (EDIT: The internal storage is only 8gb on the one Vodafone are selling anyway.) Both have microSD slots though. They claim that the mini has better battery life, even though it only has about half the battery of the G3. I know bigger screen means bigger battery consumption but I would be very surprised if the battery life was not better on the G3, especially with a custom rom. I will go through the other so called "advantages" of the mini one by one:
    112 gram vs 131 grams
    9.85 millimeters vs 10.8 millimeters
    It's obviously going to be thinner and lighter as it is smaller.
    Super AMOLED vs TFT LCD IPS Retina
    It's highly debatable which of those is better. I would assume that the mini screen is pentile which a lot of people don't like, but I wouldn't say either screen would be considered bad.
    Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean vs Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich ICS
    There are already lots of Jelly Bean roms available for the G3.
    360 hours vs Not supported
    ???
    (3G HSUPA) 14.4 Mbps vs (3G HSUPA)
    ???
    USB Micro-B with MHL vs Not supported
    802.11 a/b/g/n vs 802.11 b/g
    Version 4.0 with A2DP vs Version 2.0 with A2DP
    Supported vs Not supported

None of these are important for the majority of people.

If you can stretch, get the Nexus 4. If not, get the G3 or the G2S.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

The Huawei g300 is only £82 on amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

And far better value !!!!!. Easily unlocked and very customisable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

It's €119 in Irish Vodafone stores. Works out €100 on Amazon but anyone know how much delivery costs on Amaon? Perhaps not much price difference after all?

IrishHomer wrote: »
    It's €119 in Irish Vodafone stores. Works out €100 on Amazon but anyone know how much delivery costs on Amaon? Perhaps not much price difference after all?

Anything over £25 is free delivery from Amazon. This phone is free but there is at least a month's wait. And its locked to Voda UK, but cane be easily unlocked. Have a look at the big thread on the G 300.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

I certainly wouldn't say the mini wins.

First of all, the G3 is much cheaper (and let's cancel out the fact that you might get hit with customs with the fact that Fatcheese will give you your money in about 10 years).

Secondly, the screen on the G3 is both bigger and more resolute. (And yes, some people don't like big screens, but this screen isn't particularly big by any stretch of the imagination).

The cameras are also better and it is has dual sim capabilities which is handy for holidays etc.

The only positive I can see for the mini is higher internal storage. (EDIT: The internal storage is only 8gb on the one Vodafone are selling anyway.) Both have microSD slots though. They claim that the mini has better battery life, even though it only has about half the battery of the G3. I know bigger screen means bigger battery consumption but I would be very surprised if the battery life was not better on the G3, especially with a custom rom. I will go through the other so called "advantages" of the mini one by one:

It's obviously going to be thinner and lighter as it is smaller.

It's highly debatable which of those is better. I would assume that the mini screen is pentile which a lot of people don't like, but I wouldn't say either screen would be considered bad.

There are already lots of Jelly Bean roms available for the G3.

???

???

None of these are important for the majority of people.

If you can stretch, get the Nexus 4. If not, get the G3 or the G2S.

Thanks for going to all that trouble, it's amazing!!!

But, I was not advocating either of those phones, simply showing a comparison from a relatively good site.....I would probably go for the Chinese phone myself. But, I'm not in the market for a phone right now.

These things are very subjective, depending on what you find important to you.

Ahh now, it's cheaper on Voda Ireland, if you port a number, say a free SIM from Tesco....€99.99

Plus, there is the possibility of a €24 discount from fatcheese

So, you could get it for €76!!!!! [plus about €6-€10 for unlock code from eBay]

and, there are numerous ROM's available on Modaco.

thanks to TM for this info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

In the same boat as OP and so confused what to get, I'm looking at my nokia 1.0 and I haven't charged it in 5 days, is there any phone in this category that even comes close to 3 days.? is there a mugan type battery for these.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RoverZT

Ahh now, it's cheaper on Voda Ireland, if you port a number, say a free SIM from Tesco....€99.99

Plus, there is the possibility of a €24 discount from fatcheese

So, you could get it for €76!!!!! [plus about €6-€10 for unlock code from eBay]

and, there are numerous ROM's available on Modaco.

thanks to TM for this info.

G300 is a great phone, looks really well and almost high end too with a decent case.

At that price you won't find anything as good.

All the Android phones that I've run through my hands have short-life battery charge. 2 days would be an eternity. The most ancient Nokia would beat any of them hands down. Battery life in the iphone is about the only advantage it has over the Android phones. Its a big challenge for the Samsungs of this world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Battery life is definitely where the next big technological leap as to come where phones are concerned.

As for the G3. You'd have to also factor in that in buying from Asia you are waving goodbye to any consumer rights or come back if the phone breaks etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭123 LC

Just bought the samsung galaxy s2 on ebay for €230 (albeit second hand). Have a look at the second hand options online, there's a lot that are in very good condition with no scratches on screen etc, just make sure returns are accepted and it should be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

My Xperia S lasts a day easy with WiFi on constantly. I only turn on data when I need it though.

People having battery problems on Android, I think don't manage the hardware properly and if your using a custom rom, the options are in the notification pane so no excuse IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Nexus 4 8GB? Probably closer to €300 than €250 but is a genuinely premium phone that can stand up to the likes of the S3 and Xperia Z

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

JJJJNR wrote: »

thats a nice one actually and a good price for quad core.
    I can't find the camera details for this phone? Anybody know what focalprice are like to shop with?

Focalprice are fine. However if you are getting a Chinese phone I would recommend getting one from a well known, well reviewed brand.

All the Android phones that I've run through my hands have short-life battery charge. 2 days would be an eternity. The most ancient Nokia would beat any of them hands down. Battery life in the iphone is about the only advantage it has over the Android phones. Its a big challenge for the Samsungs of this world.

Ahh yes K, but comparing apples with oranges, vis-à-vis Ancient Nokia vs Modern Android Smartphone...I think you would agree.:D

There are things ppl can do to prevent Battery Drain,

like turning of synchronisation in Google Gmail, G+, FB, and other apps

using 2g instead of 3g until you need 3g,

probably keeping GPS off until needed,

allowing phone to go into deep sleep at night,

Keep screen at low brightness in Display settings, don't use auto brightness setting

Most ROM's have easy access toggles to change these settings.

by auto turning off WiFi when screen goes off [going into Settings/WiFi/Advanced from menu/Keep WiFi on during sleep/ set to never]..... this setting should work, but on some custom ROM's does not....

so use Better Wifi On/Off.

It is very useful and is free.

Also, get CPUSpy+ App, free from XDA as a member....

CPUSpy+ XDA

Also, Better Battery Stats, also free from XDA as a member, but if you like, support the dev, buy it!!!

Better Battery Stats XDA

These tools will help find what is keeping your phone awake, and there is support from the devs.

So, if you like any or all of the above apps, do try to support the Devs.

Open for more suggestions!!!

• Advertisement

I can't find the camera details for this phone? Anybody know what focalprice are like to shop with?

I can just make out 12 MEGA in this pic:

MH0486B-6.jpg

But I wouldn't wanna necessarily trust that!!!

And here's why.....see the outlined, from that webpage description:

b284a1d3-6478-4d7e-8d13-cdb02fec72d8.jpg

Front: 2.0 mega pixels; Rear: 8.0 mega pixels

Advertisement