Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Fibre in Monasterevin

Options
  • 09-03-2013 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm moving to a new house in Monasterevin, Co.Kildare this summer and it's a lovely town but the internet speeds are incredibly low considering it's 2013. So far I've only seen people talking about getting only up to 6MB with congested eircom connection if they're lucky and paying +€60 a month :o I know it's down the country but still. In Dublin I'm currently with UPC on 150MB download and 10MB upload and it's great I can't imagine downgrading to ~6MB download and 0.5MB upload and paying more :(

So my question is:
    Does anyone living in Monasterevin know what's the best broadband option in terms of speed and reliability in Monasterevin?, specifically Fern's Bridge area

OR

If it's as bad as I think it is and you too live in Monasterevin could you please register your interest for eircom fibre broadband in Monasterevin at the following site www.eircom.net/efibre/

I know it does not mean that they're going to upgrade the Monasterevin Exchange momentarily but at least it shows that the residents are interested in High Speed Broadband.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

mac.book wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm moving to a new house in Monasterevin, Co.Kildare this summer and it's a lovely town but the internet speeds are incredibly low considering it's 2013. So far I've only seen people talking about getting only up to 6MB with congested eircom connection if they're lucky and paying +€60 a month :o I know it's down the country but still. In Dublin I'm currently with UPC on 150MB download and 10MB upload and it's great I can't imagine downgrading to ~6MB download and 0.5MB upload and paying more :(

So my question is:
    Does anyone living in Monasterevin know what's the best broadband option in terms of speed and reliability in Monasterevin?, specifically Fern's Bridge area

OR

If it's as bad as I think it is and you too live in Monasterevin could you please register your interest for eircom fibre broadband in Monasterevin at the following site www.eircom.net/efibre/

I know it does not mean that they're going to upgrade the Monasterevin Exchange momentarily but at least it shows that the residents are interested in High Speed Broadband.

Thanks

Not announced in any upgrade program so highly unlikely

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭mac.book

bealtine wrote: »
    Not announced in any upgrade program so highly unlikely

Well it is only in eircom NGN Phase 5

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Your lucky my folks live just outside the town at Moore Abbey and they can't get broadband at all ,dad's on his 3rd mobile dongle and there awful as it is

Perhaps but that phase 5 has a status of "To Be Announced" and given eircoms track record to date is more likely to be abandoned instead...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

There is no date set for Monasterevin, there are 15 exchanges waiting for basic broadband ( ie ADSL 1) around the country since March 2007 and still dont have it. They will 'celebrate' a full 6 years waiting at the end of the month. The UPC network in Monasterevin only rebroadcasts about 30 channels of MMDS TV and there is no plan to upgrade that either.

The only good news is that up to 24 mbits may arrive in Monasterevin in 2013, eircom do have a plan to do that. > see here http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2056873518

• Advertisement

Perhaps but that phase 5 has a status of "To Be Announced" and given eircoms track record to date is more likely to be abandoned instead...

Then the only possibility would be UPC in 2014/15 as they're already in Newbridge although not in Kildare town. And also the ESB Telecoms Fibre Network runs through Monasterevin. I heard somewhere that ESB is supposed to buy out or form an ISP service in the coming years.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    There is no date set for Monasterevin, there are 15 exchanges waiting for basic broadband ( ie ADSL 1) around the country since March 2007 and still dont have it. They will 'cebrate' a full 6 years waiting at the end of the month.

That's terrible :/ I just lost hope when I saw eircom spelling the town's name as "Monasterevan" -.-

http://www.nextgenerationnetwork.ie/ngn-access

Then the only possibility would be UPC in 2014/15 as they're already in Newbridge although not in Kildare town. And also the ESB Telecoms Fibre Network runs through Monasterevin. I heard somewhere that ESB is supposed to buy out or form an ISP service in the coming years.

Not a frikin hope in hell of UPC reaching Monasterevan...

The ESB thing will eventually happen but not for many many years yet. it's still at the "let's do this isn't it a great idea" phase

The ESB thing will eventually happen but not for many many years yet. it's still at the "let's do this isn't it a great idea" phase

:(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I'm on sky bb , getting a solid 7mb.
    Was stuck on 3mb eircom for many years,couldn't wait to get away.
    I'm on the sky trial so its a lot cheaper than eircom but now that sky is fully available non trial its not that much cheaper.
    My advice is go with eircom bb then when ngb is enabled your sorted and not mid contract.
    I asked eircom about ngb many times the last time was recently,they said no plans so off to sky with me only for 2weeks later they announce ngb for here , I mean ffs,just my luck after years of asking.My plan is stay with sky for the minimum 12 months then move to ngb if its here by then.

• Advertisement

Dcully wrote: »
    I'm on sky bb , getting a solid 7mb.
    Was stuck on 3mb eircom for many years,couldn't wait to get away.
    I'm on the sky trial so its a lot cheaper than eircom but now that sky is fully available non trial its not that much cheaper.
    My advice is go with eircom bb then when ngb is enabled your sorted and not mid contract.
    I asked eircom about ngb many times the last time was recently,they said no plans so off to sky with me only for 2weeks later they announce ngb for here , I mean ffs,just my luck after years of asking.My plan is stay with sky for the minimum 12 months then move to ngb if its here by then.

I suppose I'll take sky, but then again it's a brand new house that I'm moving into so have to get a phone line connected first, thus eircom is the only option especially that they're currently offering free installation till end of June this year.

Does Sky have uncongested broadband? and can you confirm that I would be able to get it at Fern's Bridge, Monasterevin via an eircom phone line?

Thanks

I suppose I'll take sky, but then again it's a brand new house that I'm moving into so have to get a phone line connected first, thus eircom is the only option especially that they're currently offering free installation till end of June this year.

Does Sky have uncongested broadband? and can you confirm that I would be able to get it at Fern's Bridge, Monasterevin via an eircom phone line?

Thanks

First off your crippling yourself if you commit to 12 months of sky if ngb arrives this year.
    No its not uncongested, its resold eircom basically,same speeds etc.
    Other options are vodafone 7 mb,here again its resold eircom.
    Ferns bridge will be fine, a friend lives further from the exchange and has 7mb vodafone.

Eircom would be best option, no contract crap, when ngb arrives you will automatically go onto ngb.
    I'm sorry I moved to sky after hearing of ngb plans.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Ring eircom and ask about the availability. There would be a lot of factors, eg poles, proximity to the road, connections already in place etc.

Believe me eircom are a bunch of twats when yoy have to deal with them :) but anyway...

You would have a standard 12 month contract with eircom. Cooling off period of 7 days.

Speeds would be the same as with Sky or equivelent. Service wise, comreg don't allow eircom to priortise installations/work to their own clients if it was for Sky etc.

Then the only possibility would be UPC in 2014/15 as they're already in Newbridge

UPC are in a bit of Newbridge with the broadband and are resolutely ignoring the rest of it, perhaps most. Even parts of Naas have no broadband only MMDS fed 30 channel TV services.

SKY cannot do 'uncongested' as the euphemism goes unless there is an NGB upgrade which means modern optics on the backhaul...ie 2.5gbits for all of Monasterevin if they do it.

UPC are in a bit of Newbridge with the broadband and are resolutely ignoring the rest of it, perhaps most. Even parts of Naas have no broadband only MMDS fed 30 channel TV services.

SKY cannot do 'uncongested' as the euphemism goes unless there is an NGB upgrade which means modern optics on the backhaul...ie 2.5gbits for all of Monasterevin if they do it.

Do you know if whether the planned Monasterevin exchange upgrade to NGB will mean that I'll be able to get close to 24 Mb? Or does that depend on the phone line itself? Either way apart from uncongested connection what improvements will NGB bring to Monasterevin?

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 9 darchangel

This is the spirit these broadband companies feed off. They'll read these forums and realise "hey, these suckers dont expect anything from us so we can safely ignore them w/out affecting our bottom line or drawing in negative publicity". I swear this is how they work. Its best to be as positive as possible about the prospects of Monasterevin or any other town that has been categorically ignored by every broadband innovation going precisely because everyone is resigned to their fate.

People in cities and bigger towns complain like demons when the service breaks down or screws up. They _want_ a decent service. Chorus and NTL were absolutely dreadful , couldnt even make a cup of tea never mind provide anyone with decent service. The newer companies (even Eircom) are far more professional and willing to do the biz but if we dont put up the right "face" they'll ignore us.

Contrast the above with the optimism and go-getter spirit the author of this thread came in with. 9 or 10 posts later and he probably feels like cutting his wrists or at least steering well clear of Monasterevin. Thats a vicious circle, one we cant afford to allow to grow. Everyone will end up living in Dublin or Cork otherwise.

Ive been on Magnet Business line since 2006 - I pay them e30 pm for 7.5 MB. Thats the max anyone in the town can currently access because of the exchange. Sky bb is fairly new so I wont comment on it. Hopefully with a tweak ( I bet its 5 minutes work), they'll "magically" move us on up to 24 MB some time this year as dcully mentioned. Its all bullsh*t though. There are no technical barriers to doing any of this work , its all politics. Think electricity 60-70 years ago. Now everyone has electricity and a phone line into their house irregadless of where they live... same ****, different era.

As far as fibre in Monasterevin is concerned, Ive half a plan up my sleeve to go round the town to ask people if they would be willing to let UPC dig a hole in their driveway to put down fiber. @SpongeBob gave me the idea from a forum post he put up for some other punter in the same position as myself, living in a town w/out any prospect of getting fibre lit up. His suggestion was a good one - if local people do the leg work in surveying the population for (1) likelihood of use(triple play etc) and (2) permission to dig , UPC have fewer excuses to stay away.

@SpongeBob, do you think in 2013 ir would be worth my while ? Would UPC respond ?

darchangel wrote: »
    This is the spirit these broadband companies feed off. They'll read these forums and realise "hey, these suckers dont expect anything from us so we can safely ignore them w/out affecting our bottom line or drawing in negative publicity". I swear this is how they work. Its best to be as positive as possible about the prospects of Monasterevin or any other town that has been categorically ignored by every broadband innovation going precisely because everyone is resigned to their fate.

People in cities and bigger towns complain like demons when the service breaks down or screws up. They _want_ a decent service. Chorus and NTL were absolutely dreadful , couldnt even make a cup of tea never mind provide anyone with decent service. The newer companies (even Eircom) are far more professional and willing to do the biz but if we dont put up the right "face" they'll ignore us.

Contrast the above with the optimism and go-getter spirit the author of this thread came in with. 9 or 10 posts later and he probably feels like cutting his wrists or at least steering well clear of Monasterevin. Thats a vicious circle, one we cant afford to allow to grow. Everyone will end up living in Dublin or Cork otherwise.

Ive been on Magnet Business line since 2006 - I pay them e30 pm for 7.5 MB. Thats the max anyone in the town can currently access because of the exchange. Sky bb is fairly new so I wont comment on it. Hopefully with a tweak ( I bet its 5 minutes work), they'll "magically" move us on up to 24 MB some time this year as dcully mentioned. Its all bullsh*t though. There are no technical barriers to doing any of this work , its all politics. Think electricity 60-70 years ago. Now everyone has electricity and a phone line into their house irregadless of where they live... same ****, different era.

As far as fibre in Monasterevin is concerned, Ive half a plan up my sleeve to go round the town to ask people if they would be willing to let UPC dig a hole in their driveway to put down fiber. @SpongeBob gave me the idea from a forum post he put up for some other punter in the same position as myself, living in a town w/out any prospect of getting fibre lit up. His suggestion was a good one - if local people do the leg work in surveying the population for (1) likelihood of use(triple play etc) and (2) permission to dig , UPC have fewer excuses to stay away.

@SpongeBob, do you think in 2013 ir would be worth my while ? Would UPC respond ?

Sounds like a plan ;) BTW I already contacted the county council and this is what I got:

Dear Sir,

The telecommunications network in Monasterevin is being upgraded progressively. There is an increased demand for mobile phones, broadband and other telecommunications network and provide a global system for mobile communications. Broadband is currently available in the Monasterevin area. Kildare County Council acknowledges the importance of the telecommunications sector to the local and regional economy.

Perhaps you should lobby some broadband providers. Once there is sufficient interest, the broadband company might submit a service in your area. Hence creating competition in the sector.

All planning applications we receive for broadband related apparatus are all assessed on their own merits taking into account planning legislation, regulations and policies for the area.

Regards

Claire Whelan
    Planning Section

Guys checkout this thread ,specifically my posts.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056917667

It seems there is faster speeds in the town now since 1st March, the problem is getting sky to see this fact.

Thats a vicious circle, one we cant afford to allow to grow. Everyone will end up living in Dublin or Cork otherwise.

That problem affects every medium and small town in Ireland. The economy is hanging in in the big towns and is swallowed whole out of small town and rural areas. The economy went with the building 5 years ago. :(

One is not helped by UPC and their MMDS over cable rubbish in Monasterevan or by the recent extension of the MMDS licence from April 2014 to April 2016 meaning UPC no longer have to upgrade their crap Monasterevin cable this year...or abandon it to the locals.
    Ive been on Magnet Business line since 2006 - I pay them e30 pm for 7.5 MB. Thats the max anyone in the town can currently access because of the exchange. Sky bb is fairly new so I wont comment on it. Hopefully with a tweak ( I bet its 5 minutes work), they'll "magically" move us on up to 24 MB some time this year as dcully mentioned. Its all bullsh*t though. There are no technical barriers to doing any of this work , its all politics.

Yes but eircom will have a surplus of ADSL2 24mbit cards in urban areas by June as they migrate customers to VDSL and empty these cards. All they need to do is take the cards out of the urban exchanges and pop them into Monasterevan and into MANY other smaller exchanges that only have old ADSL1 8Mbit cards today DESPITE being NGB enabled.

I do understand why eircom did not buy new ADSL2 cards knowing they would have a surplus of them in 2013.

No. UPC will take €40 a month off you for the measly 20 MMDS channels they supply in Monasterevin and available free on satellite (bar one or two) and right out to 2016, easy easy Money for them.

I would, however, come up with the exact same plan but I would approach MAGNET about it instead. If a community fibre dig in across BACK gardens were to get underway ( cheaper to restore soil after all) I'm sure Magnet would help with design principles...mainly duct widths and not having sharp bends if they were looking at all the business.

Then you hand over the network to an operator who will deliver minimum speeds starting at 30mbits ( not up to) or whatever and spanking uplinks like 10mbits etc.

Dcully has banged on many times on Boards over the iniquity of eircoms treatment of Monasterevin but only the real threat of taking all your business elsewhere will ever spur eircom on to move Monasterevin to 2014.

At present Monasterevan is a VDSL TBA exchange ( meaning MAYBE AFTER 2014 and IF eircom don't run out of money AGAIN)....so hanging around for them could be dangerous for your economic wellbeing and will not happen for at least 2 years anyway.

In your hands dude. :)

Guys checkout this thread ,specifically my posts.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056917667

It seems there is faster speeds in the town now since 1st March, the problem is getting sky to see this fact.

YES!!!

Awesome news Dcully thanks, I've been simulating the order for weeks constantly being told that only old congested broadband is available at my new address and now:

A0ylbGxkmyRFwpHmiiJv9Rsbpj2MQN6kNRDP-h9KaHE

Would you be able to post a speedtest.net result on this thread just to see the ping and speed you're getting, btw are you on the 24MB package?

Thanks again ;)

• Advertisement

YES!!!

Awesome news Dcully thanks, I've been simulating the order for weeks constantly being told that only old congested broadband is available at my new address and now:

A0ylbGxkmyRFwpHmiiJv9Rsbpj2MQN6kNRDP-h9KaHE

Would you be able to post a speedtest.net result on this thread just to see the ping and speed you're getting, btw are you on the 24MB package?

Thanks again ;)

No im not on 24 mb package, read my posts :( its a ****ing disaster :(

Oh sorry dude and thanks for telling me about Sky in the previous posts. I'm not that happy either since I went further into the order just to see what else I have to face and of course the FREE ACTIVATION does not apply where there is no phone line so I'll have to pay €121.23. Not only it's a weird price it's equally ridiculous but anyway at least 18MB to 24MB will be much better than >7MB. Oh yeah and thanks for pushing eircom for the upgrade over the years ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ROS123

I work for a business in the town, and I checked with my Eircom account manager, no definite date for NGN rollout for Monasterevin, the usual rubbish about it being rolled out nationally and all the money they are spending on infrastructure etc. I did register the companies interest in Fibre, for whatever good that will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ROS123

Is microwave an option ? The Co Co have a large MW link in the town..

ROS123 wrote: »
    Is microwave an option ? The Co Co have a large MW link in the town..

only if you like your chicken at 80C

I happen to be aware of UPC's forthcoming expansion plans (e.g. very little) so I fail to see that hoping will change that...you can try and influence UPC's plans but there are large areas of Dublin/Cork/Limerick/Galway to be upgraded yet so I imagine that will keep them busy for the foreseeable future

Sorry if this is a bit off-topic but I think you'll find this amusing :)

Well ive cancelled sky and ordered eircom up to 24mb, they estimate minimum 15 mb and most likely 18mb,atlast uncontended broadband.

Well ive cancelled sky and ordered eircom up to 24mb, they estimate minimum 15 mb and most likely 18mb,atlast uncontended broadband.

That will be your lot for a while. eircom are more likely to run out of cash again than they are to upgrade Monasterevan to VDSL.

Monasterevan is officially on the 'VDSL installation planned but not before 2015' list and eircom have not even completed the 2007 basic ADSL list yet. :(

• Advertisement

That will be your lot for a while. eircom are more likely to run out of cash again than they are to upgrade Monasterevan to VDSL.

Monasterevan is officially on the 'VDSL installation planned but not before 2015' list and eircom have not even completed the 2007 basic ADSL list yet. :(

Indeed, but having been in 3mb for so long the 7mb with sky was a nice increase, 15mb to Monasterevin people will seem insane, Sad I know.

Advertisement