Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CPU worth upgrading?

Options
  • 03-03-2013 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

So - I have been thinking about if min i5-2500k would be ready for retirement?

I want to start streaming a bit to twitch soon - as I should finally get fiber from UPC - hence making it possible to get a good upload speed going.

But would I get any benefit to move to either a i7-3570K or i7-3770K with my current setup?

i5-2500k @ 4222 MHz w. a Corsair H100
    MSI Mpower Z77 board
    2x4 gb Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz
    1 x OCZ Agility 3 240GB

Thanks in advance.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

First off, if getting UPC: Boards.ie UPC special offer

If you're wanting to upgrade from the Sandybridge i5, then you should probably wait until the next generation 'Haswell' comes out in a couple of months.

The 3570k is i5 also but yes the 3770k is i7.

As to is there any benefits to upgrading to i7 for streaming to twitch and I assume pc gaming, I don't know, I'll leave that to another more experienced member.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Akvavit

Cheers for the link - need to see if I am too late to the party on redeeming that one..

As for the use of the cpu - yes, it is mostly gameplay videos - I would prefer not having to have a second pc working on the streaming, but to keep all of this in the same machine. One of the projects here is to enroll in www.childsplaycharity.org next time around.

As I am on a new 1155 board - I'd like to extend the life of this, so that is why I was thinking about if eg the 3770K up would be worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I don't stream so I'm not sure but you should just try streaming with what you have now then you will have some idea if you really need to upgrade.

If you want some performace for free your 2500k should be able to clock better with that h100, I would aim for 4.5 but might get higher. Just don't go over 1.4 vcore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

a 2500K will be fine for 1080p streaming i know a few who use it for steaming Lol/sc2/wow

Advertisement