Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

icdg wrote: »
    We'll have to see the detail when/if the deal is done. Its good in the sense that there will only be a need to subscribe to two packages to get all the Premier League games. There is a reason that ESPN did the bundling deals with Sky and UPC in Ireland - they were not obviously having success being marketed as a standalone premium channel.

Obviously there are cons. UPC viewers may lose out the most as I'd imagine both Setanta Ireland and ESPN will become part of the package and go premium now - a big loss (along with ESPN America which is closing). As Setanta Sports 1 no longer really exists as an independent entity (being now merely the name under which Premier Sports is listed on the Irish EPG), this removes a lot of flexibility from Setanta as far as scheduling is concerned. For example Setanta could not show two games at 8:00pm for the quarter final stage of the Europa League as Premier Sports was already committed to showing rugby league at that time, this will hit Setanta again during the qualifying rounds of the Europa League and matchday one of the group stages (although I think they're fine after that). The point is that Premier Sports commitments limit how Setanta can move programming to that channel now which means that more of Setanta's "premium" programming will have to be aired on Setanta Ireland. Incidently, the Champions League and Europa League rights are now tied up till the end of the 2014-15 season.

Will there be a price increase over the existing Setanta pack on satellite? Almost certainly - although it might not be as high as you think as BT are saving money by allowing Setanta to handle their distribution and marketing in Ireland instead of having to do it themselves. Nonetheless, BT will want their cut - and want to make back the money they paid for the Irish rights to the Premier League - and Setanta were bearly breaking even themselves, so expect a price increase of some order.

Sky have given an undertaking to Ofcom not to schedule Premier League games on Sky Sports 3 or 4, which they do not make available to certain platforms in the UK. Its only an undertaking but the threat from Ofcom is that if they (Sky) were to break it, they'll require Sky to offer Sky Sports 3 & 4 wholesale to all pay-TV platforms. I'm not sure you can only take 1 Sky Sports channel on either Sky or UPC anymore though it certainly used to be possible.

espn's europa league games won't be blacked out in ireland from next season so setanta's europa league games will be different from espn

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

For me price wise it does not sound encouraging. I only subscribed to ESPN for the UFC. Hope it does not work out much more than the current price.

well i think it will. how much more is to be seen, but this could be a good move all around, but as everyone is saying....the price is the key.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I would have no problem subscribing at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭bellg124

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

bellg124 wrote: »

What about content from ESPN America ? Will any of that be shown ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

bellg124 wrote: »

No pricing information yet and no deal done yet regarding UPC or Eircom- presumably they are trying to get out of the existing deals on UPC for Setanta Ireland and ESPN to be basic tier.

Confirmation though of what we expected, Setanta Sports 1 will formally bite the dust and be replaced with Premier Sports in July.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

http://www.setanta.com/ie/gamechanger

Pricing to be announced in mid July.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭bjp1967

Any news on Setanta HD launching on Sky, that would finish it off nicely for them #gamechanger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭VillaMad

The BT Sport Channels on Sky, I see will be 413 and 414.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

bjp1967 wrote: »
    Any news on Setanta HD launching on Sky, that would finish it off nicely for them #gamechanger

Not yet anyway.
    Will I be able to view the channels in HD?

BT Sport 1, BT Sport 2 and ESPN will all be available in HD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭bazzajf

A poster on another forum has suggested they have been told Setanta will be pricing their new offering at €16.99 per month.

I find this difficult to believe as their existing pricing is already at €16.99 per month, granted if you threaten to cancel, they quickly reduce it to €8.99 per month for a period.

The addition of the BT Channels and ESPN to Setanta's offering will surely mean they are going to increase their monthly subscription fee to anything from €19.99 per month to €29.99 p/m.

If they charge over €20 p/m, I am opting out, i was already receiving 3 ESPN Channels for free with Sky, the BT Channels are attractive but not at a high premium..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

bazzajf wrote: »
    The addition of the BT Channels and ESPN to Setanta's offering will surely mean they are going to increase their monthly subscription fee to anything from €19.99 per month to €29.99 p/m.

Not necessarily. The price they are charging at the moment is ridiculously overpriced for what they offer so keeping it the same with the new package would be a reasonabe solution I think

• Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Not necessarily. The price they are charging at the moment is ridiculously overpriced for what they offer so keeping it the same with the new package would be a reasonabe solution I think

I would agree - the uptake for Setanta Sports is believed to have been very low - the fact that a transponder for SS1 was too expensive is indicative of that.

Thus Setantas income was primarily through advertising.

Now as part of a Setanta/BT package there will be a much higher uptake and even at a very low take (price) for Setanta it will be more then the current subscription earnings.

Price is key and circa €16.99 is getting near the upper limit - I would also not be surprised if Setanta goes premium on UPC

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

If setanta still charge 16.99 a month, it still costs 110€ a month for hd sport? Ok perhaps you could drop movies and get it all for 101€ a month. That's a lot of dollar still.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

i already have Setanta so i won't need to re-subscribe to get BT Sport?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

MD1990 wrote: »
    i already have Setanta so i won't need to re-subscribe to get BT Sport?

If the price stays the same I'd say you'll just continue on but if they increase the price, you'll probably have to re-confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭mickko

bazzajf wrote: »
    If they charge over €20 p/m, I am opting out, i was already receiving 3 ESPN Channels for free with Sky, the BT Channels are attractive but not at a high premium..

Were these channels really free though?
    If I recall correctly, there was a stand alone charge for ESPN for the first season they had rights for.
    Then for the second season, there was a price increase by Sky for Sky Sports, and they included ESPN for "free".

Shouldn't there be now a decrease their sub for Sky Sports?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

the key thing is the price. remember sky is charging 35 euro for the full sky sports pack of 116 matches etc.
    If setanta stay at 16.99 it will be a bonus but for how long i wonder? Although once people see the quality of the "first pick matches they will wonder if its any better than ESPN's apart from 3 or 4 matches if the posts on digitalspy are accurate in their predictions.

Incidentally did anyone notice that skysports2 now says its the home to 66 live premier league matches a year? is this a big change to what they had last year and does it mean only 50 matches will be on sky sports 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭energy1942

I started this thread 4 months ago and it has taken a long time to get here, but I do think it is the best I could have hoped for, I currently pay €16.99 for Setanta so I could live with €24.99 that would mean an increase of €8.

I am noticing that both Setanta and BT Sports websites are making no mention of the Europa League coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Disaster .... from having all televised games (bar 3pm Saturdays) for €35 (Sky & ESPN)

To having a genuine split of games for €35 + €20 (at least) = €55 just for Sport.

The BT also have first preference on 18 of 38 rounds of games.
    To date, down the years - Sky always had first choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭pricewise987

And all the cash pays for Rooneys new barnet....!!

Prem players having the last laugh....

€600-700 a year to watch games on TV...

Could nearly get a freaking Seaon Ticket for that kind of dosh - and we are only watching on telly

Only one way to vote

yes remember thats a potential 55euro on top of a minimum entry price of 27euro for the sky entertainment pack. They have to get their 70% increase back somehow and it looks like it will be those people that cannot do without the premiership. I wont be paying it thats for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

McLoughlin wrote: »
    What about content from ESPN America ? Will any of that be shown ?

It's to be incorporated into single ESPN channel. With a bit of luck, BT Sports 1 and 2 will take the football, etc and ESPN can do all the American stuff.

It's to be incorporated into single ESPN channel. With a bit of luck, BT Sports 1 and 2 will take the football, etc and ESPN can do all the American stuff.

no ESPN will for the first year show FA cup football and scottish football as they are contractally tied to ESPN they cannot show it on BT. Thats one of the reasons BT bought ESPN.

yes remember thats a potential 55euro on top of a minimum entry price of 27euro for the sky entertainment pack. They have to get their 70% increase back somehow and it looks like it will be those people that cannot do without the premiership. I wont be paying it thats for sure.

Was resigned to losing the 3rd choice game and keeping Sky Sports sub

But BT having first choice of 18 out of 38 games .... if anything it's making me rethink my Sky Sports sub?!

My limit has been reached

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Was resigned to losing the 3rd choice game and keeping Sky Sports sub

But BT having first choice of 18 out of 38 games .... if anything it's making me rethink my Sky Sports sub?!

My limit has been reached

Me too, although Sky Sports to be fair, do pretty good coverage compared to its rivals

Monday 8th July is when the PL games are announced for Sky Sports / BT Sport

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭florryfox

Is it extra to add setanta to a multiroom box?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

florryfox wrote: »
    Is it extra to add setanta to a multiroom box?
    €1.49 a month

Me too, although Sky Sports to be fair, do pretty good coverage compared to its rivals

Monday 8th July is when the PL games are announced for Sky Sports / BT Sport

Good coverage for sure but how are you going to feel when those "top 4 type" Super Sunday days are alternating between Sky and BT

I've a feeling 8th July will be realisation day :)

United fan myself .... Chelsea Away, Liverpool away, City Away in the first few weeks - with older deals these would have been banker Sky games.
    If the terms of the deal is correct ... at least 1 of these will be on BT/Setanta

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Good coverage for sure but how are you going to feel when those "top 4 type" Super Sunday days are alternating between Sky and BT

It's a tough one. Pub maybe :)

Advertisement