Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

End of Season!

Options
  • 20-02-2013 11:29am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Well lads, we finished 4th (3 points behind the team we beat last night).

We had a very slow start winning and drawing a game a piece in the first 5 or 6 and then after that we went on a surge and got within a few points of top spot only to fall away with a mix of bad games and bad weather.

Last night proved the time of football we can play, however as Jules said we need to do it consistently. We have a few games each season where we blow teams out of the water with intricate passing football and others where we can pass the ball 2 yards to a teammate.

We beat Boxmasters 4-0 twice, had 2 draws against Could get Messi.
    The ability is there, we just need to have it each tuesday!

Clay is unfortunately leaving us and despite all the league titles he's cost us, it's a sad day for the team :pac:

In each off season we have friendlies against other teams so we'll kick those off soon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Yup, last night was a great performance, how they finished ahead of us I don't know.

In terms of friendlies I will be able to organize a few with the team I play with on fridays, just wondering who I will tog out with :)

Best of luck with the new baby clay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Thanks for the season everybody. Enjoyed it.
    Take it easy Clay!

Unfortunately, I won't be around for any of the friendlies and will probably miss the start of the season but will join up as soon as I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Mall10357

As Keith said this is a team capable of beating anyone on there day. it was just hard when we could not get a full squad up every week.

I big thanks to Des & Jules for letting experience Boards. And the Only Good thing About Not Playing For Boards Is Keith's Defending. But All Joking Aside i will miss playing alongside you next season lads and it was a pleasure to now some of you.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Fully agree about with the points made here: our challenge is not about ability, it's about consistency. That has two aspects: first is getting the same bodies to be available and fit consistently - work and life get in the way of that which is sometimes unavoidable, but by adding 2-3 quality players to the squad, we'll be better able to deal with it when people aren't available, and we know the summer season traditional has more people being away than the winter league.

The second aspect of consistency is in our mindset - too often if our first touch doesn't come off, we get a bit flustered or impatient (mostly with ourselves, sometimes with those around us) and let it affect our composure. Last night they gave us more space than we're used to so after a few passes not sticking in the first period, we were lucky to still have enough ball to eventually settle into it, and once we did, our passing was excellent. We need to ensure that even when we're under pressure, we keep our composure a bit better and just play the easy pass, or root it if under pressure at the back, to get the ball out of our danger zone and play the game in the opposition's half. Then we can worry about more ambitious passes (which are game-winners when they come off so we need to be more tolerant of the ones that don't work - they still need to be attempted at the right times as they can win games) and flicks (as Des said though, we tend to flip between taking too much out of the ball or going for killer first-touch flicks - we need to find a balance in between).

So there's undeniably more positives than negatives by far - Ciaran's attempt before half-time would've rounded off a goal of the season move if it had gone in - just one example of the lovely football we're capable of. Bar the odd lapse, which is inevitable over the course of a season, our defence has been rock solid and we should have full confidence in leaving them man-on-man at the back.

We said at the start of the season that our advantage over other teams is in our attacking play when we're in the right mood, and therefore that our emphasis is on about pushing forward at every opportunity. As always, we said that we're aware this will lead to the odd goal being conceded on the break or due to leaving man-on-man at the back but that the payback is well worth it as we'll score many more goals as a result of this attacking approach than we'll concede. It's important to reflect on this at the end of the season: it is absolutely beyond dispute that the number of goals scored due to our attacking approach this season is a multiple of the number of goals conceded due to pushing up or leaving it man-on-man at the back. It's important that we remember that next time we're in a tight game next season so that we avoid the temptation to sit back (which has cost us countless goals and points over the past few seasons). That for me is the biggest takeaway from this season - we're at our best when we play with calm heads with an appropriate emphasis on attack (i.e. not saying we go gung-ho, just we push on where we can).

I'm like a broken record at this point, but until it's improved, it will remain a valid area for us to focus on: midfielders should each be coming out of a season with at least 6-10 direct assists where they have directly setup a goal for an attacker. Our wingers may be close to that, but our centre-midfielders (including myself in the few games I played there) have not clocked up enough direct assists. This is not to say every ball needs to be played from CM to striker, it is just to highlight an undeniable gap which results from our habit of going lateral to keep possession and to emphasise that we need to focus on getting the ball from CM to striker more than we did this season. Des has noted that with the 3 quality players we had in centre-midfield last night, it was noticeable how much the connection between CM and strikers improved, so we may see more of that next season.

We still need 2-3 quality new players to really ensure we don't get left short next season so if you have friends or lads on other teams you play with that you know are at the right level and fully committed, do work on getting them involved now so that we know about them ahead of getting the friendlies organised. It's key that we enter next season with positive momentum continued so we don't do an Everton on it and get off to a great start with new players already bedded in.

Well done to the new players that joined this season - some quality additions. Just want to say that it's been a pleasure playing with you all this season lads - we take it for granted, but it's rare that you find a bunch of lads with no real bitching and moaning amongst the group: everyone just wants to get out there and play good football and that's a pleasure to be a part of. And that wouldn't be happening were it not for Des' generous donation of his time and his astute management.

Lastly, Clay, I'm sad to see you go but with that tackle near the end where you walloped your man in the right full area, it sure was a pleasure to watch you leave! Keep in touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Mall10357 wrote: »
    As Keith said this is a team capable of beating anyone on there day. it was just hard when we could not get a full squad up every week.

I big thanks to Des & Jules for letting experience Boards. And the Only Good thing About Not Playing For Boards Is Keith's Defending. But All Joking Aside i will miss playing alongside you next season lads and it was a pleasure to now some of you.

Thanks again

I will assume that's about Helimachopter Keith and continue to consider you a friend Clay.

I too will be retiring from the world of Astro football now, as Tuesdays in the summer months are boxed off for me. It's been a real pleasure to be involved this season, nice to finish up with a sense that we left the title behind us a bit with our start. Keep together the core and the team has a great chance to get a few more league wins under your belt.

Finally, want to thank Des for the time and effort he put in this season as usual. Very much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Mall10357

Draupnir wrote: »
    I will assume that's about Helimachopter Keith and continue to consider you a friend Clay.

I too will be retiring from the world of Astro football now, as Tuesdays in the summer months are boxed off for me. It's been a real pleasure to be involved this season, nice to finish up with a sense that we left the title behind us a bit with our start. Keep together the core and the team has a great chance to get a few more league wins under your belt.

Finally, want to thank Des for the time and effort he put in this season as usual. Very much appreciated.

Now that you mention it Keith I think it was the 2 of you, Only messing it is KP i was talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Nice one Clay! Look after yourself mate, tell Wes I said he needs to up the shot count in coming seasons.

One last thing, I will of course leave my name and number in the hat so that if you guys are ever stuck for a 12th man or for someone to give away a few cheap goals then I'll be available if I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

hey lads you guys opening up the team for new lads this summer? lads? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

oh and i play mainly on the left wing or in the centre mid.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

See you at the game Derek, cost is 5/6 euro but will confirm asap

• Advertisement
Advertisement