Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power Mac G4 - add more RAM

Options
  • 13-02-2013 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi all

I'm trying to add RAM to my Power Mac G4 and am not sure what RAM I need to buy. As my G4 is ancient I don't think Apple supports the model any more so more than likely I'll need to buy on eBay or similar. To prempt those who say "just buy a new mac" I'm using it with software that I'm not in a position to upgrade at the moment. So buying a new machine is not an option.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Here's the spec (if any more info is needed let me know):

System Version: Mac OS X 10.2.8 (6R73)
    Machine speed: 400MHz
    Bus speed: 100 Mhz
    Number of processors: 1
    L2 cache size: 1Mb
    Machine model: Power Mac G4 (version = 2.9)

Memory Overview:
    (Location) DIMMO/J21 (Type) SDRAM (Size) 64MB
    (Location) DIMMO/J22 (Type) SDRAM (Size) 64MB
    (Location) DIMMO/J23 (Type) SDRAM (Size) 512MB
    (Location) DIMMO/J24 Empty

If I can do anything more than just adding RAM to beef up the G4 that would be great to know too!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

By a new machine for goodness sake!

These upgrades should be compatible, according to memoryc.
    http://www.memoryc.com/apple-desktop-server-power-mac-g4-mac-desktop-400mhz-10gb-m7641f-a--memory-upgrade.html

• Registered Users Posts: 24 liamor

Introduced in July 2000, you've got a Power Macintosh G4 (Gigabit Ethernet) model.

It has 4 SIMM slots for Memory Expansion. Unfortunately the system can only address 2.0 GB RAM under OS X.

The Modules you need are as follows.

PC-100 3.3v, unbuffered, 8-byte, non-parity 168-pin SDRAM.

Here's a link to 133 MHz modules which will work with your system. I don't think you will find 512 MB 100MHz modules around any more.

http://www.memoryc.ie/products/description/512MB_A_Data_PC133_SDRAM_133MHz-16_chips-module/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mljam

Thanks Monotype.

Yeah I know I really should buy a new machine! I certainly would if it was for work purposes but it's only for hobby use (making music) and has been in the spare room gathering dust for years! I'll see how it runs with more RAM.

Thanks for the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

liamor's RAM is probably right now that I look at it, despite memoryc's recommendations that I have linked. It does seem unlikely that a machine that old would be using DDR RAM.

I'd also avoid buying older RAM from ebay unless you are absolutely sure that you're getting the right stuff. There's a lot of issues around density especially around earlier DDR when some motherboards couldn't read all of the RAM on the modules.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

You're planning to make music with it?! Logic crashes all day on BRAND NEW mac pros! Prepare to become very friendly with the spinning beachball!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 mljam

Thanks liamor & Monotype. Just to be sure though - the link that Monotype sent says that the max memory is 1Gb for this type of G4. You said OS X can address up to 2Gb. Are you saying you reckon my G4 can address 2Gb, or just that in general OSx can address up to 2Gb? Sorry just want to be sure.

Frozen - yeah I'll give it a go! If it hangs too much I'll have to look at other options! But it's been sitting there long enough so I'm not splashing out on new gear until I'm sure I'll use it! I have the Digi 002 / Pro Tools and 002 only works up to PT6.4, so it would mean buying a few new things, not just a new mac.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

mljam wrote: »
    Thanks liamor & Monotype. Just to be sure though - the link that Monotype sent says that the max memory is 1Gb for this type of G4. You said OS X can address up to 2Gb. Are you saying you reckon my G4 can address 2Gb, or just that in general OSx can address up to 2Gb? Sorry just want to be sure.

Frozen - yeah I'll give it a go! If it hangs too much I'll have to look at other options! But it's been sitting there long enough so I'm not splashing out on new gear until I'm sure I'll use it! I have the Digi 002 / Pro Tools and 002 only works up to PT6.4, so it would mean buying a few new things, not just a new mac.

Thanks

If you don't push it too much it should be fine really. You'll have a hard time finding plugins for anything mac that's not intel based too, but as long as you don't need any of that, then you should be set

Advertisement