Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Books in 2013

Options
  • 10-02-2013 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭

What are we all anxiously anticipating the release of in 2013? All those next in the series books you've been itching to read...

Sitting on My kindle waiting for me is 'shattered hourglass', the most recent Day by Day armageddon zombie book and 'The twelve' By Justin Cronin. I think though those will have to wait as Peter V Bretts, 'Daylight War' is out in two days time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Blood and Bones by Ian Esslemont. I know it's out back home but my Kindle is on the Us store so I have to wait until May!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

"Magician's End" by Raymond E. Feist. It's the final book after all this time. Far from the best series I've read, it still has a special place for me and I've been reading it longer than any other series.

Other than that I'm mostly playing catch up on various series and the ones that I am not - like Abercrombie - aren't due this year.

Not very hopefuls for this year:

"Prince of Thieves" by F. Scott Lynch. He's finally writing but no idea when. Again.
    "The Unholy Consult" by R. Scott Bakker. Seems most likely a 2014 date for the next book in the Aspect-Emperor series.
    Kingkiller Chronicles #3 by Patrick Rothfuss. As far as I know it's not expected this year.
    GRRM - HAHA!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I'd love if Rothfuss released #3 this year, but even better if he delays and writes something closer in quality to book #1 than #2.

ixoy: did you mean The Republic of Thieves? I'd be shocked if we see that anytime in the next 18 months, but you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Another Magician book?!!? ah hell, I'm struggling to get through a Darkness at Senathon and will have to read the last one if he releases one but seriously, this series stands only on peoples nostalgia, they really are not that good at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Another Magician book?!!? ah hell, I'm struggling to get through a Darkness at Senathon and will have to read the last one if he releases one but seriously, this series stands only on peoples nostalgia, they really are not that good at all.

His best was the serpent wars, it got meh after that. Still going to get it though.

Rothfuss seriously doubt it this year, he did put something in his Facebook page this week an excerpt about Audi having 7 days save everything. Least he's started.

• Advertisement

Trojan wrote: »
    ixoy: did you mean The Republic of Thieves? I'd be shocked if we see that anytime in the next 18 months, but you never know.
    Yep, I did and yeah I don't expect to see it until 2014 at best.

Bastards.
    But gentlemen too.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

The first book is still pretty good for what it is (peasant boy(s) rise to power and glory in a medieval world). The Serpentwar Saga is good enough. The Empire Trilogy is possibly the best but that might have a lot to do with Janny Wurts doing much of the writing duties.

I honestly have never met someone that thinks Feist is a great writer in the genre (Feist himself is very careful not to claim this either despite his bestseller status). I've met quite a few people that enjoy his books (well the earlier ones) though and still reread them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

nesf wrote: »
    .....I honestly have never met someone that thinks Feist is a great writer in the genre (Feist himself is very careful not to claim this either despite his bestseller status). I've met quite a few people that enjoy his books (well the earlier ones) though and still reread them.
    I enjoy the Feist books, but not in the same way I loved Rothfuss or Lynch. Feist writes in a very safe way, almost like watching your favourite soap opera on TV.

A mate compared him to Tom Clancy books......same basic story, the same ensemble cast, only with a different cover then the others....

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Tenger wrote: »
    I enjoy the Feist books, but not in the same way I loved Rothfuss or Lynch. Feist writes in a very safe way, almost like watching your favourite soap opera on TV.

A mate compared him to Tom Clancy books......same basic story, the same ensemble cast, only with a different cover then the others....

That's a good comparison. Though to be fair to Feist his writing evolved from the ultra safe nature of Magician to the darker more morally unclear style in the Serpentwar Saga (can you imagine a main character that we're supposed to sympathise with being an adulterer in the Riftwar Trilogy?). I haven't really read much of his later stuff, so I can't comment on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Daylight War by Brett. Although it seems to be going back and looking at the Inevara character, not too sure about that.

Next Aaronovitch Peter Grant book. An english Dresdan?

Stormlight 2 by Sanderson. First was great but also played safe and was bloated in places. Hopefully finishing WoT and being released from its constraint will inspire an even better book.
    The problem is he is also releasing 2 more books this year - stealheart and the rithmatist. The opposite end of lynch/rothfuss/martin spectrum

Emporer of Thorns by that guy. Second book I felt was much superior to first and im really looking forward to seeing how the story finishes. That guy being Mark Lawrence.

No massive titles being released, so hopefully it frees up some space and interest in new authors or new works.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭jamezy

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Stormlight 2 by Sanderson. First was great but also played safe and was bloated in places. Hopefully finishing WoT and being released from its constraint will inspire an even better book.
    The problem is he is also releasing 2 more books this year - stealheart and the rithmatist. The opposite end of lynch/rothfuss/martin spectrum

Met Sanderson at a book signing the other day. Awesome guy, He said he hopes to have Stormlight out in November!

PS he also said he will someday explain the whole over arching mythos behind all his books ;)

jamezy wrote: »
    Met Sanderson at a book signing the other day. Awesome guy, He said he hopes to have Stormlight out in November!

PS he also said he will someday explain the whole over arching mythos behind all his books ;)

Where'd you meet him?

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Where'd you meet him?

At a book signing...

I know he was in Vancouver last week or so, so maybe somewhere in America or Canada?

At a book signing...

I know he was in Vancouver last week or so, so maybe somewhere in America or Canada?

I had figured it was a book signing but with this being an irish site I thought maybe it was here in Ireland instead of the new world.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭jamezy

Yes it was Vancouver, sorry should have said!

jamezy wrote: »
    Yes it was Vancouver, sorry should have said!

Not even the prospect of getting AMoL signed could make me go out to Metrotown!

Apparently confirmed Republic of Thieves release date

Pretty exciting if it's finally been confirmed!

• Advertisement

Confirmed by the author himself on Twitter:
    So yes, it's true. THE REPUBLIC OF THIEVES is coming in October. I couldn't be more relieved or pleased

Excellent - will definitely be buying this one. Hopefully, now that his personal issues are on the mend, we'll see a quicker release schedule.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Good timing for me; I still need to get through the second book (only a few pages in) and I got sooo many books to go through this summer.

In fairness, this is approximately the eight hundred and seventy-fifth release date for this book ;)

In fairness, this is approximately the eight hundred and seventy-fifth release date for this book ;)
    It is the first one that the author has agreed with though!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭shaneor

Apparently confirmed Republic of Thieves release date

Pretty exciting if it's finally been confirmed!

This news made my day! :D Now I just need to find some time to reread the first two before October!

Ok, the publisher says he has the final manuscript. That's a bit more reassuring :)

Just pre-ordered it on Amazon. :D

The Republic of Thieves
    This title will be auto-delivered to your Kindle on October 24, 2013.
    It had bloody well better be!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

It had bloody well better be!

Now whether to re-read the first 2 or not?

And physical copy or kindle version?

• Advertisement

It's so close.

Looking at my order, I got it for 7.99 and now it's over 11 dollars. I love how Amazon will always give you the lowest price it goes for when you pre-order!

Advertisement