Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triple Monitor Trading Computer

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Presuming windows is a requirement here? I'll have a go but you might want to fill out this form just to make sure we are covering all your requirements. You could probably throw in the i3-3220 if you want to save 60 quid if you are not running anything that needs a great deal of processing power.

I have picked the sapphire flex here it is a bit more expensive than a regular HD6450 but won't require buying a seperate displayport to DVI adapter which pretty much covers the cost difference. Different BenQ monitors because one has HDMI, be flanked by two with just DVI/VGA, this saves a few euros and matches the card output ports without requiring adapters.

Item|Price
    BenQ GW2260HM|€131.03
    2 x BenQ GL2250|€230.88
    Microsoft Windows 8 64-Bit (SB-Version)|€81.89
    BitFenix Merc Alpha|€32.42
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W|€45.92
    ASRock ZH77 Pro3, Sockel 1155, ATX|€68.75
    Intel Core i5-3470 Box, LGA1155|€165.83
    2 x 4GB G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€39.74
    Sapphire Radeon HD 6450 FleX, 1GB DDR3|€49.11
    Crucial M4 64GB SSD 6,4cm (2,5")|€63.68
    WD Caviar Blue 1TB 6Gb's|€61.41
    Samsung SH-118AB schwarz|€12.79
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€1002.44

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭stocktrader

If you want to ask about a new build, please include as much of the following information as possible in your thread:

1. What is your budget? [€xxx]

€1000

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/Video editing/3D Modelling/HTPC/Internet] (If gaming include which games)

Trading/Browsing web/general office use/programming and development

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes/No]
    yes maybe windows 7 or 8

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.] (If possible state brand and model of the parts to ensure compatibility)
    no

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes/No]
    yes 3 monitors hopefully 1080p

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [19'/20'/22'/24'/etc.]
    around 22-24

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.]
    very good wired in mouse, decent keyboard, speakers, wireless card

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes/No]
    not sure what this is

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser]
    whatever suits

9. When are you purchasing? [In x days]
    0-60 days

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [South Dublin City/Cork City/Kerry/etc.]
    dublin 4

PogMoThoin wrote: »

so would you suggest buying say an i7 vostro dell with 8gb ram and 1tb hardrive and then just get the graphics card and monitors?

marco_polo wrote: »
    Presuming windows is a requirement here? I'll have a go but you might want to fill out this form just to make sure we are covering all your requirements. You could probably throw in the i3-3220 if you want to save 60 quid if you are not running anything that needs a great deal of processing power.

I have picked the sapphire flex here it is a bit more expensive than a regular HD6450 but won't require buying a seperate displayport to DVI adapter which pretty much covers the cost difference. Different BenQ monitors because one has HDMI, be flanked by two with just DVI/VGA, this saves a few euros and matches the card output ports without requiring adapters.

Item|Price
    BenQ GW2260HM|€131.03
    2 x BenQ GL2250|€230.88
    Microsoft Windows 8 64-Bit (SB-Version)|€81.89
    BitFenix Merc Alpha|€32.42
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W|€45.92
    ASRock ZH77 Pro3, Sockel 1155, ATX|€68.75
    Intel Core i5-3470 Box, LGA1155|€165.83
    2 x 4GB G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€39.74
    Crucial M4 64GB SSD 6,4cm (2,5")|€63.68
    WD Caviar Blue 1TB 6Gb's|€61.41
    Samsung SH-118AB schwarz|€12.79
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€1002.44

thanks for writing back about the computer. do you actually build them or you just give advice?

i'm wondering if I'm just better off getting the benq monitors and then buy an i7 vostro dell with a graphics card. why is it better to go with this build? excuse my ignorance :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

so would you suggest buying say an i7 vostro dell with 8gb ram and 1tb hardrive and then just get the graphics card and monitors?

You do not need a high powered i7 PC for a triple monitor setup. You had a Pentium G2120 dual core picked first, why the sudden jump to i7? Why not just buy a pre-built PC and add a graphics card with 4 outputs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Item|Price
    3 x iiyama ProLite B2280HS-B1|€459.69
    Intel Core i3-3220 Box, LGA1155|€102.47
    ASRock B75M-GL R2.0, Sockel 1155, mATX|€51.44
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€38.84
    be quiet! SYSTEM POWER 7 300W|€31.61
    Samsung SH-224BB bare schwarz|€16.99
    WD Caviar Green 1TB, SATA 6Gb/s (WD10EZRX)|€59.70
    SanDisk SSD 64GB 6,4cm S-ATA 600|€49.99
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€878.83

Just needs a case, personal preference. I highly recommend monitors with pivot for trading. Those iiyama ones look great, also in white if you prefer ;)http://lb.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=71200&agid=1648&pvid=4npj9n4kb_hcz4660s&ref=13 The 64gb ssd would be enough for Windows and some trading programs so they load much faster but you could get a 128gb one for not much more.

can you buy these ex vat. I think its possible. will have to have closer look at monitors. thanks for all advice

can you buy these ex vat. I think its possible. will have to have closer look at monitors. thanks for all advice

You can if you are vat registered. You would need to email them but they take a while to reply. Here are some stores which accept vat numbers at checkout

www.computeruniverse.net
    www.voelkner.de
    www.reichelt.de
    www.lambda-tek.com

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

thanks for writing back about the computer. do you actually build them or you just give advice?

i'm wondering if I'm just better off getting the benq monitors and then buy an i7 vostro dell with a graphics card. why is it better to go with this build? excuse my ignorance :)

Mostly just advice to be honest but I'd be happy to give anyone a dig out if needed. :)

An i7 is a bit overkill for what you need, probably the i3 would do you just fine based on what you have described. HWVS will built if for you for another 20 euro if you wanted just pop this in the basket as well (Actually seems to be just 5 euro at the moment).

Definitely better value in a custom build, it will be a closer fit to your needs with better quality component etc. The only drawback is that if you do encounter any problems you will have to diagnose it yourself and send back the individual component for repair/replacement.

Not sure if this is a work PC or not but if downtime would be a real issue then the custom route may not be ideal, that would really be the only reason I to even consider going with something like a prebuilt Dell. Otherwise your money will go alot farther picking all the parts yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    You do not need a high powered i7 PC for a triple monitor setup. You had a Pentium G2120 dual core picked first, why the sudden jump to i7? Why not just buy a pre-built PC and add a graphics card with 4 outputs?

the prebuilt option may be the best way to go. Where would you recommend to go and how come you use these german websites.

Will they build the PC and obviously parts are cheaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Is there a card available that will give you 4 totally independent screens (Not spanned)?

Yes amd is the way to go for that. I think this may be one of the cheapest that will do it.

http://lb.hardwareversand.de/2048+MB/72029/XFX+Radeon+HD+7750+Core+Edition%2C+2GB+DDR3.article

BloodBath wrote: »
    Yes amd is the way to go for that. I think this may be one of the cheapest that will do it.

http://lb.hardwareversand.de/2048+MB/72029/XFX+Radeon+HD+7750+Core+Edition%2C+2GB+DDR3.article

Out of AMD's lineup the only cards that will do 3 monitors without any adapters is the Sapphire Flex. Nvidia cards can do this from the gt 640 upwards.
    Is there a card available that will give you 4 totally independent screens (Not spanned)?

The higher end sapphire flex cards can do this (I think the 7770 flex is the cheapest, although a displayport monitor or active adapter is needed for the 4th).

Edit - This would be the cheapest card for 4 monitors but 1 needs to be vga http://lb.hardwareversand.de/2048MB/59821/ASUS+GT640-2GD3.article

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I've seen the card I linked being able to handle 4 monitors but I could be wrong.

It's not as straight forward as it seems I guess.

You will still need adapters for that 640. A vga to dvi adapter which is cheap at least.

BloodBath wrote: »
    I've seen the card I linked being able to handle 4 monitors but I could be wrong.

It's not as straight forward as it seems I guess.

You will still need adapters for that 640. A vga to dvi adapter which is cheap at least.

I wouldn't trust the max supported that hardwareversand says as from looking at a few cards its not always correct.

As far as I know with AMD cards the max output is 2 monitors without a displayport (adapter is 20-30 euro if you don't have a monitor with that input) Sapphire Flex cards are 3 without displayport.

Nvidia cards before the 6 series are 2 max, from the 640 upwards they can all do up to 4 monitors if they have enough connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

stocktrader,

I built a 3 screen PC for the other half's brother last year, and would like to suggest one thing; I chose Dell U2412M's, which can be rotated 90 deg. He finds it very useful for charts etc. to have them in potrait.

glynf wrote: »
    stocktrader,

I built a 3 screen PC for the other half's brother last year, and would like to suggest one thing; I chose Dell U2412M's, which can be rotated 90 deg. He finds it very useful for charts etc. to have them in potrait.

they are quite pricey just to turn the screen on its side. useful but maybe not worth the extra

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

they are quite pricey just to turn the screen on its side. useful but maybe not worth the extra

they are also 16:10 ratio monitors, so have more vertical height, vs a 1080p one (16:9). IPS based vs the cheaper TN also..

personally I'd take 2 decent 16:10 monitors, over 3x 1080p ones, in your situation (non gaming)

Wossack wrote: »
    they are also 16:10 ratio monitors, so have more vertical height, vs a 1080p one (16:9). IPS based vs the cheaper TN also..

personally I'd take 2 decent 16:10 monitors, over 3x 1080p ones, in your situation (non gaming)

I've had a look at these monitors and they are prob best. wondering where I can pick up 2 of them ex vat. There are a number of UK sites charging 200 a screen. dell charging 400 a screen.

if anyone knows where to get them at a good price please let me know.

I was advised then maybe a dell optiplex i3 with a graphics card to support these screens. any other advice still welcome.

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Komplett for €279, this includes Vat AFAIK.

The irony of it all-Dell are the most expensive to buy them off..

marco_polo's or spix' builds above would walk all over any pre-built i3 box, from a performance, value and component quality perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

AMD's socket FM2 supports three monitors in series or 3+1. You wouldn't have to buy a graphics card with this system.
    High end boards come with Displayport + HDMI + DVI + VGA. It's hard to track down which connectors you can use for spanning your monitors.

I'm so confused now haha. Ok I reckon the best is to go with the 2 dell screens mentioned. then I need a computer with say an i3 processor.

computer is now the tricky part. the monitors say they have udb,dvi and vga cables included. Whats the best to do now with a computer and graphics card

I've had another scour around the net but I can't find any solid information on what ports you can use when using multiple monitors on an FM2. On one Asus motherboard review, the reviewer says that you have to use the VGA connector, but I don't know if that was just relevant solely to that motherboard or if it was even just because of earlier revision. There seems to be very little information about it except that it can be done.
    I think it's a bit of a poor show by AMD if you have to use a VGA connector. Luckily with the 2412M, the displayport won't be an issue as it comes with one built in.

Anyhow, if you want to go down that that route, here's a sample build, windows and monitors excluded.

Item|Price
    Super Flower 400W Golden Green Pro 80plus|€58.99
    AMD A10 5800K Black Edition mit AMD Radeon HD 7660D Grafikeinheit, Box, FM2|€111.13
    MSI FM2-A85XA-G65, ATX, FM2|€94.35
    8GB G.Skill RipJawsX PC3-14900U CL10|€44.81
    Crucial M4 256GB SSD 6,4cm (2,5")|€173.24
    LiteOn iHAS124-04 schwarz SATA|€17.09
    BitFenix Shinobi Midi-Tower USB 3.0 black, ohne Netzteil|€53.03
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€571.63

Monotype wrote: »
    I've had another scour around the net but I can't find any solid information on what ports you can use when using multiple monitors on an FM2. On one Asus motherboard review, the reviewer says that you have to use the VGA connector, but I don't know if that was just relevant solely to that motherboard or if it was even just because of earlier revision. There seems to be very little information about it except that it can be done.
    I think it's a bit of a poor show by AMD if you have to use a VGA connector. Luckily with the 2412M, the displayport won't be an issue as it comes with one built in.

Anyhow, if you want to go down that that route, here's a sample build, windows and monitors excluded.

Item|Price
    Super Flower 400W Golden Green Pro 80plus|€58.99
    AMD A10 5800K Black Edition mit AMD Radeon HD 7660D Grafikeinheit, Box, FM2|€111.13
    MSI FM2-A85XA-G65, ATX, FM2|€94.35
    8GB G.Skill RipJawsX PC3-14900U CL10|€44.81
    Crucial M4 256GB SSD 6,4cm (2,5")|€173.24
    LiteOn iHAS124-04 schwarz SATA|€17.09
    BitFenix Shinobi Midi-Tower USB 3.0 black, ohne Netzteil|€53.03
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€571.63

thanks mate. is that processor as good as an i3 or better?

Well it's essentially a quad core. It would perform worse per core than the i3.
    On the other hand, the i3 is a just a dual core with hyperthreading, so applications or multiple applications that can fully utilise the four cores will perform better. Applications that just need raw speed will do better with the i3.

On average, they'd be fairly close. In this list of benchmarks, the i3 does well in most of the applications that are based around single threads, while the A10 can keep up or even overtake when it comes to use of multiple cores (e.g., encoding and compression).
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/675?vs=677

It's also not bad graphics, if you were to require performance in that area - better than having a dedicated card such as a 6450.

The only thing that puts me off is if it had to use VGA, as to get the best picture quality, you should really stick to the digital interfaces.

Edit: Also, you can add on a dedicated later if you wanted to and as from what I've read, you can add on the additional display connectors for a whole load of monitors.

Edit 2: Just read the manual for that motherboard. It says VGA+DVI+HDMI / VGA+DVI+DisplayPort for three monitors. Well that's a little disappointing. To be fair you probably wouldn't notice the difference from using a VGA connector unless you're fussy.

Monotype wrote: »
    Well it's essentially a quad core. It would perform worse per core than the i3.
    On the other hand, the i3 is a just a dual core with hyperthreading, so applications or multiple applications that can fully utilise the four cores will perform better. Applications that just need raw speed will do better with the i3.

On average, they'd be fairly close. In this list of benchmarks, the i3 does well in most of the applications that are based around single threads, while the A10 can keep up or even overtake when it comes to use of multiple cores (e.g., encoding and compression).
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/675?vs=677

It's also not bad graphics, if you were to require performance in that area - better than having a dedicated card such as a 6450.

The only thing that puts me off is if it had to use VGA, as to get the best picture quality, you should really stick to the digital interfaces.

Edit: Also, you can add on a dedicated later if you wanted to and as from what I've read, you can add on the additional display connectors for a whole load of monitors.

Edit 2: Just read the manual for that motherboard. It says VGA+DVI+HDMI / VGA+DVI+DisplayPort for three monitors. Well that's a little disappointing. To be fair you probably wouldn't notice the difference from using a VGA connector unless you're fussy.

thanks. i'm left with alot to think about. might take my time. get the case first and see if it has all I need then get the right motherboard. total noob

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Sorry for posting this in this thread, but I've also been in the market for a 3rd screen to add to my already dual monitor setup. I do little gaming, and most gaming is on a xbox anyway (minus Minecraft)

The current card I have is NVIDIA GeForce GTS250 so Ideally I'd want a card around the same of better and I have a budget of saying anything from £100 - £150 for a graphics card capable of running 3 monitors purely for web development.

Basic Spec of my machine is:

Intel Core 2 Quad
    4GB Ram
    128GB SSD
    Windows 8

(if you want me to create my own thread then just say and I will)

Sorry & thanks in advance!!

• Advertisement

Sorry for posting this in this thread, but I've also been in the market for a 3rd screen to add to my already dual monitor setup. I do little gaming, and most gaming is on a xbox anyway (minus Minecraft)

The current card I have is NVIDIA GeForce GTS250 so Ideally I'd want a card around the same of better and I have a budget of saying anything from £100 - £150 for a graphics card capable of running 3 monitors purely for web development.

Basic Spec of my machine is:

Intel Core 2 Quad
    4GB Ram
    128GB SSD
    Windows 8

(if you want me to create my own thread then just say and I will)

Sorry & thanks in advance!!

http://lb.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=66273&agid=707&pvid=4nl0atktw_hd52i7zw&ref=13

You could get a cheaper card that supports 3 monitors but will be much lower spec than the gts450.

Advertisement