Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

android phone data

Options
  • 31-01-2013 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭

if i was to use my smart phone whit endomondo for keeping a track of my rides when away in Spain how much data would you need for 4 say 3 hour rides

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,601 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

You're wasting your time killalanerr - I understand Dr Fuentes is "otherwise engaged" for a while;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mee!

im not fully sure but il see can find anything on it. but what i do know is that it will cost you alot more using it in spain if your on a irish network provider. you will first need to check the ratesof using data abrod with your network provider

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

more than one doc :). @Mee 02 will sell me a package just tryin to get an idea as to what package i would need

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

I don't know exactly. I have an app called 3G Watchdog that monitors my bandwidth usage. Endomondo today was 2 x 1 hour commute. My 3G usage for the day was 5mb. I'd say my endomondo used the house wifi when I got home so I'd suggest that not much data gets used at all because that was a few emails and 1 x endomondo.

To be a bit more scientific though, you could install 3G Watchdog, disable mail sync and go for a spin. That should give you an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Kaiserkel

Just for info I used Strava oveseas with data switched off and when I got back to my house synced with Wifi and ride was recorded perfectly.
    Not much use if you're lost mind!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Similar to Kaiserkel both the missus & I used endomondo while in Fuerteventura last year without data enabled. It can find/track your location using gps so will track your ride/run/whatever just fine and once you get wifi at a bar/hotel you can fire up the app again and it'll sync it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I'm assuming endomondo will be downloading maps which is what will eat data. If you can pre-load maps to the phone (try Mobac) and switch off 'assisted' GPS when you're on the go you'll use no data at all.

I've done this with SportsTracker and Mobac using OpenCycleMap for the summer hols.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

What phone have you and what network are you on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

thanks guys i can run the c7 with the data of then hook up to the local wifi so i wont need to buy the data package from o2.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

What phone have you and what network are you on?

Who, me? It's a nokia something or other running Symbian but that's not relevant here. Any phone with GPS should be able to turn off 'assisted GPS' mode so it's only listening for satellites and therefore not using data.

Downloading the maps is something you do on the PC, convert them to the appropriate format for your tracker app and store them on the phone in the appropriate folder. You probably have to tell the tracker app to only use stored maps and not download more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 zetor 6340

what kind of a phone is the 4" Android i5c 4.2.2 Smart Phone

Advertisement