Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live at Kinine Sessions

Options
  • 30-01-2013 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭

Hi,

Something some of you may be interested in. I've been running a small session of late in Paul Brady's studio and I'm trying to get the word out about it. General vibe is get a bunch of good and interesting musicians/sessioners/song writers etc into a room for a day and play some songs just for fun. It's all videoed and recorded and if we catch any magic it gets edited and put on youtube. To date we've run two sessions and released the 4th video yesterday (first video from the second session). Aiming to have a session every six months and release videos every month. Everyone works for free and the video editing and audio mixing is quite time consuming so it's a fairly slow process.

The idea is to have a completely different lineup of musicians for each session, the latest lineup being:

Paul Brady
    Wallis Bird - fantastic songwriter/performer from Wexford
    Cormac Breslin on guitar (Republic of Loose/Smash Hits/Cars Love Girls)
    Dave Hingerty on perc (The Frames/Josh Ritter)
    Keith Farrell on bass (Mundy/Cathy Davey/Marionettes/Spring Break)
    Myself on keyboards
    Sarah Lynch on violin (Mundy/Ham Sandwich)
    Zoe Reardon on cello (Maud in Cahoots)
    Aoife O'Sullivan on BVs (backing singer/violinist from Wallis' band)
    Mia Fitz on BVs on BVs (television room/the brilliant things/lots more)

Here's the video released yesterday, would love to hear what people think.
    http://vimeo.com/58403668

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Major Lovechild

It might be ok if you like Paul Brady.

Wo ist die Gemütlichkeit?

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭iamnothim

It might be ok if you like Paul Brady.
    Yep, given that it's his song, him singing and his studio, that's an obvious conclusion to come to. The reason, however, that I posted this in Bands & Musicians is more on account of the musicianship on display. It's all essentially improvised. Songs are shared around before the day, but there's no real rehearsal. Another reason for posting being that there are an awful lot of great players who frequent these boards (publicly or otherwise) that may be interested in getting involved in a future session

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Major Lovechild

It'll work wonders for his ego.

Wo ist die Gemütlichkeit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

i think thats a great oppertunity for musicians, to play with and interact with such accomplished pros can only be a good thing.

I don't think Mr Brady is that cynical about marketing himself Mr lovechild.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭pauliewallie

hey thanks for posting. really like the video and the vibe of the whole thing. something I'd love to get involved in; if there is any opportunities going to play at a future session how would one get involved?

like the previous poster said, I don't think Paul Brady craves the limelight. fair play to him giving up his studio and getting a buzz going with so many younger (and maybe not so younger) musicians.

• Advertisement

Hi Paul, chuck me a PM with some links to your music and stuff and I'll pass it on to Paul. The next session is in May and the lineup for that is mostly nailed down, but, if I get my way this will be an ongoing thing.

There's very little ego involved in the day at all. Any songwriters involved are welcome to bring a song with them and everyone has a hash at it. At the more recent day, we had Wallis Bird up with us, the next video out will be one of hers. At the first day, we had Fiach and Roisin O up, songs of theirs can be seen here on youtube. Fiach and Roisin. It just happens that Paul has a 40 year career worth of great material to play. Another song of Paul's from the first session. Serious buzz playing this.

The whole thing is quite social with the majority of the musicians having never met before hand. On the back of the first session Paul ended up asking a few of the line up to join him for a show in Vicar Street, which was a really great experience.

430130_10151093168999646_1773686784_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

I take it that you have no need for vocalists?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

If you need someone to make the tea I'm in.

I take it that you have no need for vocalists?

There have been 3 backing singers at both sessions so far. Also, songwriters.

Advertisement