Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Accommodation for 1st year

• 28-01-2013 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi all,

Where would be the best place to stay for a first year at Mary I. First time away from home. She is relatively sensible. Staying in a private house or in the college accommodation. Any reviews? Money is also a factor. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭brid_m

I would recommend Courtbrack Student Accommodation. I stayed there in first year and made lots of friends. There's security at the door, your own bedroom with a sink, and share 2 bathrooms with others. In the kitchen you have your own cupboard that is locked. City Campus would be another option.

Personally, I would stay away from the on campus accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭hillviewfarm

Thanks for that. What does Courtbrack cost and how far is it from Mary I?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Courtbrack is on Courtbrack Avenue, the same road as one of the entrances to the college.

Not sure about price but I'm sure they have a website.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Cailin CoisFarraige

I'll second the Courtbrack suggestion and also add Ashdown Student Village. Both are very close to the college and are safe and clean with a good atmosphere.

Personally I'd recommend staying away from the private house option in first year. It's easier to make friends when you have others living around you and students have enough to be worrying about settling into a new environment besides dealing with landlords, bills (even remembering bin days!) etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

I'm in Ashdown myself, happy out with it!

Choice of single or double room, 4 people in each apartment, quiet enough to get work done but always a good buzz around Tuesday and Thursday nights :D 5 minute walk into the college, haven't a bad word to say about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭stall_the_ball

Do not stay in City Campus! too far from college, in a dodgy area, security is not strict enough and it can be very hard to get work done on 'going out nights'.

They say it's a 12 minute walk but really it takes longer and it's not advisable to walk it alone. This makes joining clubs and socs in the college in the night impossible, meaning it becomes very hard to meet people if one is not into drinking and going out. Also there is no common room/game room in CC to meet people, I did not enjoy the first weeks as I knew no one.

Just my own experience, if you've any questions ask :D

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Icarus Wings

Do not stay in City Campus! too far from college, in a dodgy area, security is not strict enough and it can be very hard to get work done on 'going out nights'.

They say it's a 12 minute walk but really it takes longer and it's not advisable to walk it alone. This makes joining clubs and socs in the college in the night impossible, meaning it becomes very hard to meet people if one is not into drinking and going out. Also there is no common room/game room in CC to meet people, I did not enjoy the first weeks as I knew no one.

Just my own experience, if you've any questions ask :D

Definitely would keep away from City Campus in 1st year, particularly if it's going to be her first time away from home! As she moves up along the line and gets to know people, it's an option in her later college years...although having walked up there alone from the college on occasion, it would give you a serious case of the heebie jeebies on dark winter nights!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

I'm in Ashdown myself. Savage apartments and grand to get work/study done but the buzz isn't the best. I'm at the edge of the place so I guess I can't be saying this but if you could get a place near the centre it'd be great.

Don't go to Courtbrack unless you're obsessed with drinking and going out. Pure mental buzz there but I'd imagine it's hard to study. Rooms are tiny too and you've very little space for your stuff in the kitchen.

Ashdown if you want a nice spacious work friendly place with lovely neighbours or City Campus for insane craic with roasting hot cramped rooms with no sound proofing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Grace1267

Just wondering how much would it be per month in a 4 bedroomed apartment for one person?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Go one

Nice 5 bed house available on wolf tone st. For September. suit 5 girls reasonable price

• Advertisement
Advertisement