Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speaker Reconing in Cork

Options
  • 23-01-2013 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Looking to have an old Fender speaker reconed in Cork. The guy in Nixons place doesn't really work on speakers apparently, but gave me some good diagnostic advice.

From what he said and what I've researched online the speaker is blown (terminology might be off). I know the voice coil makes a grating sound when I put pressure on the cone.

The issue is a rumbling or a buzzing when I play (or when an amp near it is in use, it makes a phantom resonant sound). No visible tears in the cone and I'm not familiar enough with speaker damage to tell if the cone is sagging on the surround. The noise goes away when I place a slight bit of pressure on the cone (while any guitar sounds are coming through it). The dust cap is fully intact and hasn't been poked in.

I see my options as either a recone or a new speaker. Personally I'd like to restore the old speaker even though it's probably a cheapy CTS (to maintain originality) but only if it'll cost less than or equivalent of a second hand Celestion.

Anyone here know anybody in Cork who could recone this speaker or carry out a possible repair?

Advertisement