Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Looking for a job ASAP in Sydney!

• 22-01-2013 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi all,

Sorry if similar threads have been posted numerous times. I have been on the job hunt for over 6 weeks in Sydney and literally have no money left and need something asap. I have over 5 years bar and wait experience at home as well as 1 year market research and 1 year retail. I also have a degree in real estate and 2 years experience in that. My problem is that I can only work 3 weekdays plus weekends as I have an unpaid internship 2 days a week (trying to get into a different industry in the long run and need the experience). I also did 3 months regional work on a beef farm with a lot of manual labour etc and grew up helping out on my grandmothers farm so I'm no stranger to hard work.

I'm looking for something ideally with about 30 hours per week. Will literally consider anything at this stage. I'm reasonably confident and very reliable and professional, wouldn't really be a big drinker or anything. I'm 26 and in Sydney now until June 2014, no more travelling. I live in Waverley so Eastern Suburbs or City would be ideal but will consider things all over Sydney.

Would hugely appreciate any advice or offers.

Cheers

Paul

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Head to every restaurant you can find with your CV, I follow a lot of chefs on twitter and they are always looking for staff
    same with bars

• Registered Users Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

There Westfield isn't far from you, there is bound some shops hiring. not ideal, but you have retail experience, plus it works with the days you are available.

Otherwise, there's a ton of bars and restaurants in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Calif

Hi Paul

I know someone that has city based office work in Sydney and might give you a shot 3 days a week. Drop me your email and ill pass it on to them tmrw. They should be in touch

Hi all,

Sorry if similar threads have been posted numerous times. I have been on the job hunt for over 6 weeks in Sydney and literally have no money left and need something asap. I have over 5 years bar and wait experience at home as well as 1 year market research and 1 year retail. I also have a degree in real estate and 2 years experience in that. My problem is that I can only work 3 weekdays plus weekends as I have an unpaid internship 2 days a week (trying to get into a different industry in the long run and need the experience). I also did 3 months regional work on a beef farm with a lot of manual labour etc and grew up helping out on my grandmothers farm so I'm no stranger to hard work.

I'm looking for something ideally with about 30 hours per week. Will literally consider anything at this stage. I'm reasonably confident and very reliable and professional, wouldn't really be a big drinker or anything. I'm 26 and in Sydney now until June 2014, no more travelling. I live in Waverley so Eastern Suburbs or City would be ideal but will consider things all over Sydney.

Would hugely appreciate any advice or offers.

Cheers

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 31 musicman2011

Thanks Calif, I've sent it to you in a private mail!

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

You could join up with the Sydney gaa clubs facebook pages, they usually have ads looking for labourers-immediate start for a couple of days work etc...Michael Cusacks, CormacMcAnellans, Young Irelands, Penrith Gaels

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Diddler82

Don't take this the wrong way but you cannot expect to have your cake and eat it.

Either you want to stay in Oz and try get a full time job with the hope of sponsorship or have your internship then go home to Ireland or somewhere else with this "experience". At this stage it is not going to be any use to you if you wish to stay in Australia.

Working in recruitment, anyone who comes to us who says - I am looking for a job but I can only work X, Y and Z days are usually put to the bottom of the pile or deleted.

Hope you get sorted, I genuinely do but you need figure out where your priorities are - i.e. this internship or staying in Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 musicman2011

Diddler82 wrote: »
    Don't take this the wrong way but you cannot expect to have your cake and eat it.

Either you want to stay in Oz and try get a full time job with the hope of sponsorship or have your internship then go home to Ireland or somewhere else with this "experience". At this stage it is not going to be any use to you if you wish to stay in Australia.

Working in recruitment, anyone who comes to us who says - I am looking for a job but I can only work X, Y and Z days are usually put to the bottom of the pile or deleted.

Hope you get sorted, I genuinely do but you need figure out where your priorities are - i.e. this internship or staying in Australia.

I take your point, but the opportunity for this internship isn't available at home. The aim is to get hired by the company and ideally sponsored upon completion of the internship, if not, move to London. I put the post up to see did anyone know of any part-time hospitality, basic office work etc to work around the internship in order to pay the bills. I'm not looking to be appointed CEO of Google 3 days a week. ;) This is also the reason I've put up a casual boards.ie post rather than wasting recruitment companies (And my) time.

Advertisement