Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sky Unlimited and Sky Talk

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭exercise

its no good talking to them people in sky on the phone, they wont register you over the phone, just information about the product is all they can tell you, you have to register online for this offer, the number i phoned was the normal sky tv number 0818719819,

• Registered Users Posts: 16,002 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Dazza wrote: »
    We were one of the first to register on the website is there any way I can call and ask them again? We have been sky tv customers for 8 years now and want to get rid of eircom.

I rang them, I didn't even register any interest, I told them I had a missed call of them when I didn't, they don't care who signs up, they obviously just have a Quota to fill and don't care who fills it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

exercise wrote: »
    its no good talking to them people in sky on the phone, they wont register you over the phone, just information about the product is all they can tell you, you have to register online for this offer, the number i phoned was the normal sky tv number 0818719819,

this is the number 0818 762 917 that we used when we signed up and it got straight thrrough to the broadband section.dont no if it working now tho

is that why they did not contact you? you have to register online for this offer, give your details like phone number, address, phone account number, or UAN (Universal Access Number) online when you register, did you give these details over the phone, when you where talking with someone from sky?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Our Sky bb is working great so far. Got speeds of 10.5mb tonight, we're on a 12mb line. Regarding cancelling your other provider, Sky didn't mention having to contact Eircom to cancel when i signed up, however then I thought afterwards that Eircom should be notified as I didn't want to get billed for service we weren't gonna be using. Rang back Sky and the guy said that I should write a cancellation letter to eircom stating transfer of services to another provider, not cancellation of services, but that also Sky would sort it from their end too so I'd be doubly covered. I then rang eircom to get the address to send letter to. The girl on the phone was a bit put out over me cancelling, and tried to offer me €35 for 6 months and €50 for the next 6 months. I said I'd hardy stay with eircom when I can get better bb speeds for €10 for 12 months. Twas a bit of a joke offer in fairness!

Got activation email from Sky today saying to plug in the hub and when we tried our Internet on our current router, the Internet had stopped working so obviously sky cut us off from the eircom service or whatever. Plugged in hub, we're on sky bb now.

By the way, we had trouble for about the first 40-50 mins of setting it up, kept getting a connection error. Rang up support, and the guy did a line test to clear out static on the line and next thing the white smiley face lit up on the hub. So if anybody's having connection issues, ring up support and it might just be a bit of static on your line that needs to be flushed out. Hub works perfect with all our wireless devices too, ie phones, ipad, Apple TV, sky on demand, etc. Best tenner a month I ever spent! :D

PS
    Loving the hub - the smiley face is class :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,282 ✭✭✭positron

This is beyond ridiculous! :D

Signed up on 16th, moving line and broadband from Vodafone to Sky. Sky emailed saying they line and broadband is now active. However they didn't send me a modem. I was expecting Vodafone to stop working today. However, it's still working... not only that, the speed has gone up from 2.5 mbps to 3.44 mbps!!! :D I have been with Vodafone (and BT before that) for some 8 years now and never had it do any better than 2.6 mbps, due to being 5 miles away from the exchange. Let's see if this is stable now, especially when I get sky hub up and running.

PS: This could be sky, or this could be because so many has left Vodafone for sky the contention ratio is perhaps improving? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭BrianHal

positron wrote: »
    This is beyond ridiculous! :D

Signed up on 16th, moving line and broadband from Vodafone to Sky. Sky emailed saying they line and broadband is now active. However they didn't send me a modem. I was expecting Vodafone to stop working today. However, it's still working... not only that, the speed has gone up from 2.5 mbps to 3.44 mbps!!! :D I have been with Vodafone (and BT before that) for some 8 years now and never had it do any better than 2.6 mbps, due to being 5 miles away from the exchange. Let's see if this is stable now, especially when I get sky hub up and running.

PS: This could be sky, or this could be because so many has left Vodafone for sky the contention ratio is perhaps improving? :D

Apparently if you go to speedtest.net and run a speed test, your ISP provider is displayed at the bottom left of the testing screen. If you're still VF, its supposed to say Vodafone Ireland whereas if you're with Sky it says Esat Telecommunications Limited. Have a look, see who's giving you your 3+mbps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,282 ✭✭✭positron

Still Vodafone, strange because I had asked Vodafone to restrict the line to 3 mbps, as it was droppins connections any faster, so they shouldn't give me over 3mpbs.....!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

My speeds are dropping from almost 7mb during the day to below 3 mb in the evenings.
    Pings are fine so its hardly congestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

I set up our modem on Sat night, it arrived Friday, plugged in and away she went. Got the activation email then this morning but still waiting for line rental to move. I did several speed tests before leaving Eircom the other night and was getting a consistent 4.9-5.1 megs. I notice Sky changed our speed profile from 6Megs to 8Megs today and right this minute a speed test has returned 7Meg. So far so good. :D. They said the line is capable of 12.1 Megs so here's to hoping for the extra few megs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Dazza

when did you register? i only registered last week, the sky guy said, i should get a call this week or next, im with eircom aswell, would be great to have all sky in the house.
    I registered in November. We never got a call. might try registering again and aee what happens

Dcully wrote: »
    My speeds are dropping from almost 7mb during the day to below 3 mb in the evenings.

My first speed drop was tonight for a short while. Since Sat afternoon, I was getting a consistent 6.7mbps, up from a consistent 6.4mbps with VF. Tonight it dropped to 3.5ish for a while but later went up to 7.3 for the first time ever. I presume this is Sky doing its testing thing so I wouldn't be too put out about speed fluctuations for the next few weeks until the pilot testing is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

For those who are having problems with their Apple TV.. was messing around with the router last night and managed to fix my particular issue, I lowered the wireless encryption from WPA2 to WPA. Same wireless key is on it but just that change.

Might pick up a WiFi repeater anyways for upstairs.. but in the meantime, this did the trick for it!

Also turned off silly things like WPS while I was in there - have never needed to use it (both at home or work) and probably never will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Dcully wrote: »

Getting something similar:

Nearly 6mb in the daytime, barely above 1mb in the evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Got this email this morning. How long more should I be waiting for the router?

Welcome to Sky Broadband. Your Sky Broadband service should be up and running by Monday 04 February 2013.

Let's get you started

In order to set up your Sky Broadband service you will need a Sky Hub, which we'll be sending out soon, including a set up guide. We'll be in touch when it is on its way.

Please note. Don't set up your Sky Hub until your activation date because it won't work.

Keeping track of your order

We'll be in touch again soon, but you can always track your order at MySky - all you need is your Sky ID username and the password you'll be asked to create when you log on for the first time. Should you ever forget your password then follow the 'forgotten your username or password?' link at the bottom of the MySky login screen.

Thanks again for choosing Sky.

Hello ayatollah, just wondering is this the only and first contact you had from sky, since you registered your interest on the website, also when did you register for this offer.

Hello ayatollah, just wondering is this the only and first contact you had from sky, since you registered your interest on the website, also when did you register for this offer.

I registered interest few months back, and have since had a call from Sky to go through the order about 1.5 weeks ago. I also received a letter in the post confirming the order. At the moment I'm awaiting the router and still says "processing".

Ok thanks for that information, I only registered online last week, was chatting with some sky guy on the phone, he said they are still looking for trial customers, hope they pick me,

naughto wrote: »
    this is the number 0818 762 917 that we used when we signed up and it got straight thrrough to the broadband section.dont no if it working now tho

Yes this number is still in service, was chatting with a sky guy, registered my interest over the phone as well as online.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Welcome to Sky Broadband. Your Sky Broadband service should be up and running by Monday 04 February 2013.

Let's get you started

In order to set up your Sky Broadband service you will need a Sky Hub, which we'll be sending out soon, including a set up guide. We'll be in touch when it is on its way.

Please note. Don't set up your Sky Hub until your activation date because it won't work.

We'll be in touch again soon, but you can always track your order at MySky - all you need is your Sky ID username and the password you'll be asked to create when you log on for the first time. Should you ever forget your password then follow the 'forgotten your username or password?' link at the bottom of the MySky login screen.

When I got this email, I'd already gotten a text from DPD the day before to say my hub was on the way and it would be delivered the next day (which was last Friday). My activation date was supposed to be end of this week but got an email yesterday saying my activation date had changed to yesterday and to plug the hub in. So you'll prob be up n running before the end of the week I reckon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

Basq wrote: »
    For those who are having problems with their Apple TV.. was messing around with the router last night and managed to fix my particular issue, I lowered the wireless encryption from WPA2 to WPA. Same wireless key is on it but just that change.

Might pick up a WiFi repeater anyways for upstairs.. but in the meantime, this did the trick for it!

Also turned off silly things like WPS while I was in there - have never needed to use it (both at home or work) and probably never will.
    how much would a WiFi repeater set you back?? I have my sky hub upstairs cos my wireless antena broke for the xbox iam now wired in to it for the hub(there is a big difference i have to say).

i need to get a new media player and was looking to get one that could stream the movies as well as a storage.
    Iam getting 3 bars from the hub now as iam down stairs but would like to have the full connection

how much would a WiFi repeater set you back?? I have my sky hub upstairs cos my wireless antena broke for the xbox iam now wired in to it for the hub(there is a big difference i have to say).
    Was looking at this one delivered via Parcel Motel for around €25.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭funnyname

i need to get a new media player and was looking to get one that could stream the movies as well as a storage.
    Iam getting 3 bars from the hub now as iam down stairs but would like to have the full connection
    Try homeplugs

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Let's get you started

I got the same message & DPD dropped off my sky hub just a while ago.

I put in these yesterday and the management tool that comes with it says I'm getting 200mbps connectivity between them.
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/zyxel-pla4201-500mbps-mini-powerline-ethernet-adaptor-twin-pack-83VC.html

That is all well and good but the network card in my PC is only 100mbps and my broadband is 8mbps. I can say that the networking part of my home setup doesn't seem to be the bottleneck :)

amdaley28 wrote: »
    I got the same message & DPD dropped off my sky hub just a while ago.
    Did you get the email this morning?

I noticed last night, with the Sky+HD box connected to the Sky Hub (where the Sky+HD light is lit on the Hub) that I can line up a bunch of stuff for downloading with On-Demand and it even downloads when the Sky box is on standby.

Did that happen before, pre-Sky Hub time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

BrianHal wrote: »
    I put in these yesterday and the management tool that comes with it says I'm getting 200mbps connectivity between them.
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/zyxel-pla4201-500mbps-mini-powerline-ethernet-adaptor-twin-pack-83VC.html

That is all well and good but the network card in my PC is only 100mbps and my broadband is 8mbps. I can say that the networking part of my home setup doesn't seem to be the bottleneck :)

How much do they extend your wifi by?

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Did you get the email this morning?

Yes at 05.17.
    Hub was here by DPD @ 12.30.
    My activation date is 4th Feb.
    BrianHal wrote: »
    I noticed last night, with the Sky+HD box connected to the Sky Hub (where the Sky+HD light is lit on the Hub) that I can line up a bunch of stuff for downloading with On-Demand and it even downloads when the Sky box is on standby.

Did that happen before, pre-Sky Hub time?

Yes I have my Sky HD connected to my TP-Link Modem/Router for a while now using home plugs.

• Advertisement

How much do they extend your wifi by?
    They don't extend WiFi.. they run data through your power lines.

You run a ethernet cable from the router to one of the plugs, and an ethernet cable then from the other plug straight into the device (you want to network).

They're ideal.. but if you've a lot of devices or devices that can't be networked via Ethernet, a WiFi extender is the next best.

Advertisement