Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Samsung Smart TV- best set up for Blue-Ray?

• 16-01-2013 8:20pm
    Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Howdy folks.

Just got a Samsung smart tv (UE40ES6300) over the christmas along with a Blu Ray player (e5500 i think). Never had one before so am pretty new to the set ups and such.

Have watched a couple of films on it so far, Total Recall (crap) last week and Dredd (great) this week. The picture seems a bit off though, the picture looks a bit fuzzy/grainy sometimes, especially in darker scenes. The fuzz seems like there is a slightly blue hue to it also. When the scene is bright and colourful its a lot less noticeable. At the moment RTE 2 HD seems to have a better picture than the BR, which doesn't sound right to me. It also wasnt quite as noticeable when watching in 3D, but I thought that might be because of the glasses.

Anyone else experience anything like that? Could it be a case of needing a more expensive HDMI cable?

Thanks!

Comments

Dredd looks garbage on Bluray, its just the way it was shot. I would use something better as a reference Bluray.

Most LCD sets have terrible picture quality out of the box, they have all the gimmicks and enhancements turned on by default. So you will need to spend some time setting it up properly.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Dredd looks garbage on Bluray, its just the way it was shot. I would use something better as a reference Bluray.

Most LCD sets have terrible picture quality out of the box, they have all the gimmicks and enhancements turned on by default. So you will need to spend some time setting it up properly.

Was beginning to wonder if it was the transfer itself that was the trouble rather than the set up alright as I just watched Alien and it looked fantastic.

You know anywhere that would have a guide for the best settings regards tweeking it?

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭tmull

There is a section on tuning tvs on the AVforum.com that might be of help to you.I just bought my 47 inch Panasonic DT model on the reviews and the section dedicated to this model but I am sure that your model Samsung will feature there if you look. Reading the tuning recommendations of my own model almost put me off buying same but I went ahead. Out of the box I just downloaded the Saorview package and the freesat package on its two built in tuners.I tested it with two bluray recorders playing different blurays. Laurance of Arabia on one and Ice age Three on the other.Then tried two different HD pictures from each of my sat HD receivers.My conclusion after all this reviewing was that if this telly could better the picture quality it must be a very good machine.I have not looked at any settings and have no intention of doing so. Brillant blacks which apparently is a problem with some sets and the viewing angle is very impressive.I would get yours set up right or take it back. One thing I also did was to match it with a Panasonic 550 soundbar as I was very disappointed with the Philips one I had previously.TMULL

One thing I forgot to mention was your comment on HDMI cables.On the many sat and av forums I am a member of this topic is a fairly often discussed.The conclusion is that a HMDI cable is a HMDI cable and that there is very little difference in Quality related to price.Harvey Norman had a sale of same here in Cork recently at a fiver each.My son bough two of them.I went to get one a week late to find them sold our and they wanted 39.99Euro for one.I buy fairly decent ones on that well known auction site.Recently setting up a soundbar for my other son I had a HDMI cable problem.I had told him I would need a cable to connect the arc output to the tv Arc input.He dident buy on as he had a 5M one that he sometimes used to connect his laptop one to the tv.It would not work and he then produced another one of the very same make and that would not work.He then took a cable out of the X-box set-up and that worked great.Moral is ,dont buy the very cheapest. Lidl and Aldi have fairly decent ones now and again but on the auction site at about 6 or 7 pounds sterling you wont go wrong TMULL

Just discovered that Lidl will have angled HDMI leads on 28th of this month.TMULL

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »

You know anywhere that would have a guide for the best settings regards tweeking it?

There is various calibration guides and test images on the web but the starting point is to turn off all the digital gimmicks and enhancements. Things like edge-enhancement, dynamic contrast, noise reducation, colour boost etc.

These features are designed to impress a/v beginners but they introduce artifacts and give a very unnatural and overly processed appearance. They're simply unnecessary when dealing with Bluray source quality.

Advertisement