Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting out

Options
  • 11-01-2013 2:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Okay, I'm just wondering what would be needed to begin playing in pubs and other venues? what equipment would you suggest to get before going out there and how many songs would you have to have on your set list? also any tips on how to promote yourself?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Depends on the situation. Are you in a band, what instrument do you play, etc ? Or are you going to be playing say, acoustic guitar and singing on your own ?

With more information people could advise you better.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Fordie99

Rigsby wrote: »
    Depends on the situation. Are you in a band, what instrument do you play, etc ? Or are you going to be playing say, acoustic guitar and singing on your own ?

With more information people could advise you better.

Sorry I should of realised that. . I would just be playing the acoustic guitar and singing alone. .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

You and your guitar obviously ;)
    A small enough PA should be on your list, as a lot of places won't have an in house system. You can get some very good systems, and you can pay a little or a lot. Worth having a look on Thomann at the various makes/models.

I know a guy who plays regular gigs with his guitar and vocals going through an acoustic AER amp, and gets an amazing sound. No PA. No car either and he manages fine. As you increase your amount of gear, transport becomes necessary.

Good quality mic and mic stand are essential. Cables, and spare cables etc..

How many songs? A lot. Not all for your set, but in case people come up and say 'do you know any *insert artist here*?'.
    A two hour set (no break) for me is about 30 songs, but you'll rarely play the same set twice. It depends on the crowd, the night etc.. Just learn as many songs as you can. Literally.

Try to avoid reading lyrics off pages.. it looks bad. Learn your lyrics :)

Hope that's of some help.

Advertisement