Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Job Career - Graphic Designer

• 10-01-2013 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭

Hey guys .. Im currently wondering what career path id like to go on .. I first of all had the idea of an apprenticeship but I looked at some other stuff and a graphic designer interests me. I can work with photoshop well and have a creative mind etc I was just wondering is there jobs to find in the current economy and how well do they get payed? Lets say at Junior level to An experienced one ..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭laura1990

Hey there :)

Im a graphic designer so here's a little run down for you:
    Im 23, a junior designer and I graduated in 2011.

I was always good at art in school, creative mind as you say and all that, went to AIT and did 3 years graphics and transferred to do 1 yrs Digital media in LYIT. I struggled through it all, I was so creative at school but graphic design isnt as wonderful and arty as its percived to be. I went from 80%-90% in school to 40% average in college and I worked my ass off day and night.

A while after college I started in a design studio, Its a highly pressurized job, you need to be quick and creative, but not fun creative. I did enjoy my time in the studio but left after 7 months, i was bored and stressed and uninspired all at once, and am now traveling.

I was just doing logos, leaflets and print stuff. I find it unbelievably boring. Web design is slighty more stressful but is a bit more fun. Then there Interface design, copyrighting, app design, theres a whole world of creative niches not just print media.

In todays economy getting a design job is tough, but if your determined and talented you'll be fine. You NEED to know web code, the more technical you can get the better, theres no job in any studio for a junior designer who justs knows the basic photoshop, illustrator etc. You need be able to make magic happen in the digital world, and have a strong understanding of social media.

If i were you Id call into a few studio's and shadow for a few days, do a few tho because they are all different.

One good thing about following this path is even down the line if a career change is needed, you learn so much from this career that it opens so many other doors. You can also work anywhere in the world. Money isnt great when you start but you can freelance and make a tidy sum. I did :)

I myself and going into web development and app design.

All the best with it!

Advertisement