Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wilko Johnson Diagnosed With Terminal Cancer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

Wilko taken ill, tonight and tomorrow night's gigs in Canvey cancelled :(

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

A great pity for his home fans in Canvey Island, I can only imagine what fantastic gigs those would have been. But Wilko has handled it all so well up until now and this is probably the right decision for him. I don't think anyone would want to see him struggling to perform.

I'm so glad I got the opportunity to see him play one more time and say my farewells, if only in my head. Hopefully Wilko can hang onto that hugely positive attitude now that he has put down his Telecaster. And here's hoping that he enjoys a reasonable quality of life in the time that remains.

246814.jpg

Wilko ....

246815.jpg

.... is Going Back Home ....

Interview with Wilko next Monday & Tuesday on BBC Radio 4 where he discusses (among other things) the recording of 'Down By The Jetty'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b021mjc4/broadcasts/upcoming

CPL 593H

WILKO NEWS: From Wilko Johnson/ Rob Hoy /Cadiz Music / KOKO

We are delighted to announce that Wilko Johnson with Norman Watt-Roy and Dylan Howe will play KOKO in Camden Town, London on the 13th and 14th October 2013.

Wilko will be on stage at 9pm each night and there will be two support acts. Tickets are £22.50 each and available from Ticketweb and will be on sale from 5pm, 20th September.

Wilko continues to be in good health and spirits and wants to take the opportunity to be as active as possible.

As Elton John recently said “He is too busy living life to think about f***ing dying!”

CPL 593H

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭4Sticks

Saw him about 30 years ago in the Half Moon Putney. Fantastic showman glad to see we have not seen the last from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

furiousox wrote: »
    Wilko continues to be in good health and spirits and wants to take the opportunity to be as active as possible.
    Wilko defies all the odds. You can't put a good man down.

Got a ticket for the 13th :-)

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Chelon

Great news. When you view the gigs page on wilkojohnson.org it returns shows for "Norman Watt-Roy & Friends", no mention of the Koko shows.

Anyone know who Norm's playing with?

Norman has a solo album out (faith & grace) so he's probably touring that. No idea who he's bringing with him though.

CPL 593H

• Advertisement

So, went to this gig on Sunday.
    It was (of course) fantastic and very enjoyable, special and poignant.
    I got to the venue in Camden around 7.30 just as the first support band were starting.
    4 young lads in their teens, all wearing natty suits, one wearing sunglasses and singing songs in the style of Dr Feelgood....it could only be The Strypes.
    Except it was a band from Essex called The 45's.
    They were pretty good, young and enthusiastic.
    Hope they do well.

Koko is a nice venue, an old theatre type building, a bit like The Olympia.
    Probably holds about 1500/2000 and it was a sell-out.
    When the support band finished, I got myself centre about 10ft back from the stage, lovely!
    Wilko came on at 9.00 to a fantastic reception from the crowd.
    Clearly moved and in good form, he plugged in and did what only he can do.
    He strutted the stage playing the Tele in that unique rhythm/lead style of his while Norman Watt-Roy (simply the best bassist on this planet) played jaw-dropping basslines to every song.
    Dylan Howe is a jazzy kind of drummer and he's brought a new dimension to the band.
    Wilko played the whole gig with a smile on his face and his good humour and healthy appearance reveberated through band and audience.
    During Norman's bass solo, Wilko whispered something into his ear and both of them went into fits of laughter, great to see!
    I've probably seen them live about 20-30 times over the years and this was possibly the best I've ever seen them play.
    The chemistry between band and audience was electric and very special.
    Wilko in full flight, machine gunning us with the Tele, Norman playing bass chords, harmonics, and impossible bass runs at will.
    Just mind-blowing stuff!
    All too soon it was over and as the band came back on for an encore, Wilko steeped up to say "thanks..."
    That was as far as he got, as his voice cracked and he stood back and took in the fantastic ovation he was getting, clearly moved.
    I'm so glad I went to this gig.
    I first saw him about 30 years ago and I honestly thought Glasgow back in March was the last time I'd ever see him play so I invested a lot of emotion in that show.
    Sunday's gig was just joyous, a celebration from start to finish.
    Wilko Johnson is still alive and kicking! :)

CPL 593H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭eoinkoenig

He set out on a farewell tour in the spring after being diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer. And now he has decided to team up with The Who’s Daltrey after the pair met at an awards ­ceremony last month.

“They did tell me in January I’d be dead in October, but I may last into next year. I hope we’ll have something done before I go.

“There are a few more things I want to record. I wrote some songs right after getting this diagnosis.

"It won’t be morbid, though. I can’t have any truck with that.

“The music I want to continue to make, I think, generally should be a laugh not a cry. So there’s not going to be any cancer dirges.”

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Sorry to hear of the death of Gypie Mayo this week.............and Lou Reed...

Sad week in rock.....:(

RIP

Got my copy of the dvd yesterday and it's fantastic.
    Beg, borrow or buy a copy for Christmas, you won't regret it!

5116KfFWJVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

CPL 593H

If this doesn't come down the chimney it's definitely on the New Year shopping list. See he's been gigging again in December - the "Special announcement" has been taken down from his website; is there any new how he is doing?

The Watford gig looked like an incredible lineup - Wilko, Nine below zero & Eddie and the Hot Rods. Haven't seen Eddie but did see NBZ with Glen Tilbrook a few years back and they were fantastiche.

He's still going strong (and so is this thread!) :D
    New cd with Roger Daltrey on vocals is released on March 10th.
    One off concert with Roger Daltrey on vocals in Shepherd's Bush Empire on Feb 25th.
    Feck it, might go and say goodbye one more time...:)

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/jan/22/wilko-johnson-new-album-the-who-roger-daltrey

CPL 593H

One more sleep! :D

1920408_10152023289811748_400794682_n.jpg

CPL 593H

So jealous - enjoy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

WILKO JOHNSON & ROCK LEGENDS TO ROCK BALLYSHANNON FOR RORY GALLAGHER FESTIVAL 2014

Wilko Johnson (Dr. Feelgood) with Norman Roy-watt (The Blockheads) are among over 20 acts that have been unveiled for this year’s Rory Gallagher International Tribute Festival that will take place in Ballyshannon, Co. Donegal between Thursday 29th May and Sunday 1st June 2014.

Wilko Johnson set to make a rare Irish appearance as the former Dr. Feelgood frontman continues to battle cancer. On Tuesday night last, Wilko Johnson along with Roger Daltrey (The Who) played to a sold-out show at Shepherd’s Bush Empire in London, while on Friday Wilko Johnson & Roger Daltrey’s New Album “Going Back Home” went to No.1 in the Amazon UK Album Charts. Wilko said “I am delighted to have the opportunity to come to his birthplace and honour the great G-man, its going to be a superb gig and I am really looking forward to playing at Rory Gallagher Festival 2014 in Ireland, going to be great”.

Festival Chairperson Barry O’Neill while launching the 2014 Festival said “this is without doubt the best line-up ever – Rory Gallagher would be honoured and chuffed, we are expecting our biggest attendances ever, this will be one of the most significant tributes to Rory and without doubt the biggest Classic Rock and Rock Blues Music Festival on the island of Ireland in 2014”.

Weekend Early Bird Tickets for the nightly Big Top Concerts are on sale at just €40 for all 3 nights with over 25 hours of Free Outdoor Street Concerts, Exhibitions and Talks also.

Rory Gallagher International Tribute Festival 2014 takes place in Ballyshannon, Co. Donegal, Ireland between Thursday 29th May and Sunday 1st June 2014 with all details available on the Official Festival Website www.rorygallagherfestival.com Email: roryfest@hotmail.com

CPL 593H

Can you get a ticket for the Sunday only or do you have to get the full weekender?

Just seems to be 'early bird' weekender tickets at the moment.
    I'm sure 'daily' tickets will go on sale later?

CPL 593H

He's playing The Academy in Dublin on May 30th. :D
    I urge you not to miss it, especially if you've never seen him before.

CPL 593H

OFFICIAL STATEMENT

Wilko Johnson Cancels Commitments For Medical Procedure:

Dr. Feelgood legend Wilko Johnson has today reluctantly had to cancel all of his public engagements.

Wilko, currently riding high in the UK album chart with the Roger Daltrey collaboration 'Going Back Home', has sought further advice about his pancreatic cancer and as a result has undergone a medical procedure that will see him out of action for the foreseeable future.

Doctors are hopeful that following the surgery the prognosis for Wilko will be positive.

Before going into hospital Wilko spoke to Tony Parsons. The exclusive interview can be read at http://bit.ly/WilkoGQ

CPL 593H

He was due to play Stockholm last night - my mate there said he knew something was up when there was no sign of the tour bus etc outside the venue.

Really hope he gets through this - he deserves to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/jun/03/wilko-johnson-released-hospital-emergency-pancreatic-cancer-operation
    Wilko Johnson is reportedly "making excellent progress" after undergoing an emergency pancreatic-cancer operation on 30 April. The musician, 66, who was told in January 2013 that he had less than a year to live, has now been released from hospital and is "recuperating" at home.

The "incredibly positive" news comes from Johnson's former band, Dr Feelgood: "We're sure you will be as delighted as we are that after making excellent progress at Addenbrooke's over the last few weeks, Wilko is now convalescing back at his home," they wrote on Facebook. "Naturally after such an extensive procedure, Wilko is extremely tired, and it will take him some time to recuperate, so he asks that you respect his privacy."

• Advertisement

Wilko Johnson announced today that he is now cancer free after an 11 hr operation to remove a 3kg tumour back in April.
    What an incredible story this has been, can't wait to see him in concert again.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-29727632

CPL 593H

Advertisement