Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2013 training log

• 02-01-2013 3:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭

Its still new years day here, so am starting 2013 trying to be more focused in my training. Kept a log 3 years ago, and had one aborted one since then.

Aims, nothing special. Will be changing jobs in 6 months, so am aiming to train well until July anyway. No racing, but will try and do some of the tours (sportives) here in Ohio. Been snowing heavily for the last month, so other than commuting, its been indoors on the rollers. Plan is to follow the same plan I did previously, Chris Carmichael, so basically 4 days of cycling, and one core & foam rolling.

With that in mind, did my field test this evening. 2 eight minute max efforts on the rollers with an average of 173bpm. All zones to be worked from there until retest in 12 weeks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Ryder wrote: »
    Its still new years day here, so am starting 2013 trying to be more focused in my training. Kept a log 3 years ago, and had one aborted one since then.

Aims, nothing special. Will be changing jobs in 6 months, so am aiming to train well until July anyway. No racing, but will try and do some of the tours (sportives) here in Ohio. Been snowing heavily for the last month, so other than commuting, its been indoors on the rollers. Plan is to follow the same plan I did previously, Chris Carmichael, so basically 4 days of cycling, and one core & foam rolling.

With that in mind, did my field test this evening. 2 eight minute max efforts on the rollers with an average of 173bpm. All zones to be worked from there until retest in 12 weeks

Apologies guys didn't want to start a thread to ask the following question. Thought this was the most relevant thread to ask the following.

Are there any table logs on this forum where people can enter there individual distance log like that in the swimming forum? Or do users here have their own thread for their training logs?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

Amprodude wrote: »

Apologies guys didn't want to start a thread to ask the following question. Thought this was the most relevant thread to ask the following.

Are there any table logs on this forum where people can enter there individual distance log like that in the swimming forum? Or do users here have their own thread for their training logs?

Thanks
    no. You can start your own log, and post updates or you could introduce a table to the main cycling page (google doc/excel) and record distance that way. Maybe put the question on the main page and see who's interested?

Edit. Check out the athletics page...they do it well

Week 1
    Not bad considering Christmas etc. Weather is pretty bad here, -15 degrees so outside cycling is 10k commute each way.
    Tuesday, field test as above
    Friday, foam roller and core. 30 mins
    Saturday, 2 X 20min pieces, 5 min rest. Av HT 156 and 161. Found them okay which prob means I can work harder
    Sunday, 70 mins endurance (rollers) av HR 138. Plan to increase this to 90-120 mins closer to march

next week going to start Carmichael plan.

Week 2

Monday, roller and core
    Tuesday, 3 X 8min steady state intervals. 5 min break. HR 160, 162 and 162 (in target zone)

Week 2

wed: 20min foam roller

Tonight; 3 X 8min intervals. HR 160, 162, 163. Interval 2 is always the hardest.....at interval 3 its almost easy to hit target zone. Don't know if that doesn't matter or if the training benefit is slightly less

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Ryder wrote: »
    Week 2

wed: 20min foam roller

Tonight; 3 X 8min intervals. HR 160, 162, 163. Interval 2 is always the hardest.....at interval 3 its almost easy to hit target zone. Don't know if that doesn't matter or if the training benefit is slightly less

As long as you're hydrated well and hitting your zones it's all good. How do you warm up? I personally find that a 1-2min reasonably hard effort with high cadence at the end of warmup helps with the actual work intrvals. Also some warm tea/water during warmup seems to help a bit.

Hmmzis wrote: »
    As long as you're hydrated well and hitting your zones it's all good. How do you warm up? I personally find that a 1-2min reasonably hard effort with high cadence at the end of warmup helps with the actual work intrvals. Also some warm tea/water during warmup seems to help a bit.

Thanks. My warm-up is actualy quiet lazy...no fast/hard segments, 10mins of spinning. I havent heard of warm water/tea before....although all my indoor training is done in a basment, beside a boiler. Either that or outside in genuinely subzero temperatures

week 2
    Friday, roller and core
    Saturday, felt like I was coming down with something...headaches and achey. Did 60 mins on rollers. Endurance, av HR 131
    Sunday, sick,.....off

Week 3
    Better today. Rollers and core
    currently core work is; bicycle crunches, bridges, superman's, leg raises, bridges (front and sides) and superman's. All in succession and to failure....roughly 9 minutes

Week 3
    wed, 3x8 mins again (feeling sorry for myself). HR 160, 162, 163

Thurs, core and roller. Calves definitely a lot more loose (couldn't stretch them tonight). Left quads improving also.....its agonizing moving down millimeter by millimeter so hope it actually makes a difference

Friday, 3 x 8...same heart rates as above

• Advertisement

Week 3

Friday, 3 X 8. 160,162, 163

Saturday, 90mins rollers, HR 137. Calories 1137. Longest spin indoors and really not that bad. Its actually nice to get some time away from kids , with music. Great to have little targets like stand and pedaling every 20mins, no hands every 30mins

Sunday, 2 X 20, 5 min rest. HR 152, 157

Week 4
    Monday and Friday, core and roller. Legs seem to feel better after 3 weeks of regular rolling, or at least easier to roll.

Tuesday and Thursday, intervals. 10 X 3 with 5 min rest. Target HR 160-164. These are okay....for some reason the second is always the worst. Do notice an improvement on my commutes, even with a heavy frame and snow tyres, its easier now to put an effort in to catch the lights etc

Week 4
    Saturday, 90mins endurance on rollers planned. Failed. Exhausted. Missed lunch so that may have been the reason
    Sunday, 2 X 20. No problem hitting 162 av HR for both. Normally that's my target for the 10min intervals, which I find hard to hit....goes to show what a bit of rest will do, and how inaccurate HR targets can be

Busy for the next 2 weeks so training will suffer. Will aim to make all interval days

Advertisement