Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

3-finger plectrum grip

Options
  • 26-12-2012 5:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭

I've been playing guitar on and off for a couple of years. I've always held the plec with a 3-finger "pencil" grip. I think this is out of habit from strumming my guitar alot when start out without a plec, using my 2 fingers and thumb as an artificial plec. It's also probably due to the being self-taught and never learning correct technique.

So recently I've only actually noticed that the way I play is actually not the standard way, and I'm in a minority of people who use it. I'm wondering does anyone else on here use the 3 finger grip?

What are the pros and cons of such a grip, and should I seek to re-learn how to hold the plec?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Strings.ie

dlofnep wrote: »
    I've been playing guitar on and off for a couple of years. I've always held the plec with a 3-finger "pencil" grip. I think this is out of habit from strumming my guitar alot when start out without a plec, using my 2 fingers and thumb as an artificial plec. It's also probably due to the being self-taught and never learning correct technique.

So recently I've only actually noticed that the way I play is actually not the standard way, and I'm in a minority of people who use it. I'm wondering does anyone else on here use the 3 finger grip?

What are the pros and cons of such a grip, and should I seek to re-learn how to hold the plec?

3 fingers is absolutely fine in my book :D
    I don't think there is a right or wrong way to hold a pick. Whatever works for you is the correct way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭666irishguy

I've used a non standard style since I learned to play. I hold it between my thumb and middle finger. It doesn't really affect my playing at all, but I had to learn a different technique for pinched harmonics (do it with the ring finger). I tried playing the standard way and didn't see much difference. I found those three sided Herdim or the oversized Gibson plecs to be more comfortable to play with than a regular type especially when strumming an acoustic. They are no more than a few euros for a set and I found them great.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

I tend to use three fingers when I'm playing rhythm and 2 when I'm playing lead. It's not a conscious decision - it's just what feels best to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I had a similar realisation when I saw a video of James Hetfield playing rhythm with Metallica. I noticed immediately that he was not using the three fingers that I was (then) using...

Using three fingers limits speed and increases the tension in your hand. Also limits the movement of your (two) free fingers for damping.. I switched a few years back, wasnt as hard as I thought it would be, and my picking hand feels more relaxed and free.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 kamc

When I started playing, I automatically used my thumb and index finger to hold the plec. Never knew if it was correct but felt comfortable for me and anything else I have tried made the flexibility in my wrist feel restricted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭kahler

sounds like a very awkward grip. while it may "work", it may be an awful lot more work that just using first finger and thumb. you should find that to be an awful easier in the long run, particularly in terms of tension in your hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I may practice the traditional grip for a few weeks and see how I do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭kahler

you can measure your success or failure by the number of indentations on the wall. if its not working out, you may have a lot from flinging plecs at it. as long as any damage isnt structural.. :-)
    what sort of plec do you use?

Advertisement