Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monitor/ HDTV for a new build

Options
  • 11-12-2012 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭

Hey guys. thinking of building myself a gaming pc in the new year after the new hardware comes out and possible in the January sales.

I have my current dell pc (about 8 years old) hooked up to its original 19" monitor and my 32" Beko 720p tv. I use the monitor for college work etc and I use the tv for gaming (including my xbox360) and everything looks great.

My question is this. Should I be getting a new fancy monitor/ tv for my new gaming pc? Will the fact that I am using a 720p HDTV for my gaming negate the qualties of a high end gaming pc? I will probably spend approx. 800 euro on the pc and I really don't want to spend another 400-500 on a new 1080p tv. I fully intend to use my tv as the base for gaming as I like like to play from my couch, so buying a new pc monitor isn't really optimum

Or will my current monitor/ tv set up be fine? Thanks for any input. Previous posts on builds have been really helpful and I'll definitely be looking for your approval when I do take the plunge

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

A monitor is a must if you will be sitting close to a screen but it sounds like it would go to waste for your usage.

Selling your tv and picking up a 32 inch 1080p one second hand might be a cheap option.

If you're sticking with the TV you won't need an expensive graphics card in your new pc as playing a game @ 720p is not very demanding.
    It will still have better frame rates and texture quality than an xbox so coming from an 8 year old dell you should be happy.

If you go out and build an expensive pc only to use it at 720p though you will be missing out though.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭thegame983

cool. I thought as much as I keep seeing people talking about much higher resolutions in general on these forums. I had a quick look on amazon, you can can't even get a 720p tv anymore. to think mine cost 500euro at the time and it was literally the cheapest one available.

thanks for the help, ill have a look at my options

Advertisement