Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds album - Push the Sky Away

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭One_Armed_Dwarf

The first track from "Push The Sky Away"

We No Who U R

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Besides the title I like it a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,254 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicblog/2013/feb/08/nick-cave-push-sky-away-stream

Album streaming on the Guardian, can't listen, in work.

May try on phone, feck the data usage!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Can't listen to it either for some reason, the stream won't play. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Listened to the album in full for the first time yesterday and love it, its a very strong album and well crafted album, sounds a lot like their 90's releases, beautiful lyrics as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Nope, unfortunately it's yet another Nick Cave album that has left me cold. Guardian review says that the album contains 'some of their most beautiful melodies to date'. I'm not hearing them.

I only liked bits and pieces of their early stuff but absolutely fell in love with them between 1994 and 2003 as they released four classic albums in a row from 'Let Love in' up to 'No More Shall We Part'.

Ever since then however despite releasing critically acclaimed albums I've been left disappointed bar a couple of tracks on each album.

Tried really hard to get into Nocturama but it's just too boring. Got excited when reviewers were gushing over Abattoir Blues/Orpheus Lyre but again it left me cold.

His Grinderman project was a bit bleugh for me, Dig Lazarus Dig was a bit of a return to form but still only liked three or four songs. Haven't even heard Grinderman 2 which brings us to 'Push The Sky Away' which is pretty tuneless on first listen.

Kind of resigned myself to the fact that they won't be adding a fifth classic album to their collection although in fairness there are very few bands that have managed to produce four really good albums worth of material. Great band but past their brilliant best for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Jubilee Street is savage in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Manchegan

Jubilee Street is savage in fairness

It's Supergrass's Mary slowed down

It's an album full of very subtle and understated melodies, which overall I liked on first listen, but I reckon it'll improve with more time spent on it. The last track is fantastic, while the 'louder' tracks like Jubilee Street and Higgs Boson Blues were damn good too.

And who knew Miley Cyrus would be part of a Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds song?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,851 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Pighead wrote: »
    Nope, unfortunately it's yet another Nick Cave album that has left me cold. Guardian review says that the album contains 'some of their most beautiful melodies to date'. I'm not hearing them.

I only liked bits and pieces of their early stuff but absolutely fell in love with them between 1994 and 2003 as they released four classic albums in a row from 'Let Love in' up to 'No More Shall We Part'.

Ever since then however despite releasing critically acclaimed albums I've been left disappointed bar a couple of tracks on each album.

Tried really hard to get into Nocturama but it's just too boring. Got excited when reviewers were gushing over Abattoir Blues/Orpheus Lyre but again it left me cold.

His Grinderman project was a bit bleugh for me, Dig Lazarus Dig was a bit of a return to form but still only liked three or four songs. Haven't even heard Grinderman 2 which brings us to 'Push The Sky Away' which is pretty tuneless on first listen.

Kind of resigned myself to the fact that they won't be adding a fifth classic album to their collection although in fairness there are very few bands that have managed to produce four really good albums worth of material. Great band but past their brilliant best for me.

work backwards from "Let Love In" - "Henry's Dream", "The Good Son" and "Tender Prey" are all classics (and his covers album "Kicking against the Pricks" is also great).

I'd say he's been hit & miss since "Let Love In", though I did like a lot of the double album.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

loyatemu wrote: »
    work backwards from "Let Love In" - "Henry's Dream", "The Good Son" and "Tender Prey" are all classics (and his covers album "Kicking against the Pricks" is also great).

I'd say he's been hit & miss since "Let Love In", though I did like a lot of the double album.
    I hear this time and time again and I have listened to his early albums lots but to me they are all very hit and miss. There are undoubted glimpses of his genius from those early recordings but for me his first properly formed album was 'Let Love In'.

I think Henry's Dream is a better album than Let Love In. Listened to it the other night and it's one good track after another, whereas I don't have much enthusiasm for Let Love In besides Do You Love Me, Loverman and Lay Me Low. Not to say the other tracks are terrible or anything but I think they pale in comparison with Henry's Dream, which opens with four classics and ends with two more.

Push The Sky Away is very nice, hit the sweet spot on second listen.

New European dates have been added to their tour schedule. A few UK gigs but none Irish, however. http://www.nickcave.com/live/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

New European dates have been added to their tour schedule. A few UK gigs but none Irish, however. http://www.nickcave.com/live/

saw him play the new album in Paris last night amazing show, played new album first with an extra strings section and a bunch of kids doing backing vocals which was cool , then played over an hour of amazing stuff , including from her to eternity and the best ever version of Stagger Lee that I have seen , the guy is a genius .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭dinneenp

someone said one of his recent gigs was going to be on Irish radio. anyone know what channel, date & time?
    I'm going to try to find it on playback. Thinking it might have been Paul Mccloone but not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,254 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Really enjoying the album, mellower mood than recently, but the man has been on a roll for the last few years.

That's his wife on the cover, lucky b@stard!

did anyone else go to his Twitter Q&A session yesterday?
    It was a bit of a joke...
    He has a live gig from LA streaming on February 21

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

I don't honestly think I've liked anything he's done since c.1992, but you never know...

dinneenp wrote: »
    did anyone else go to his Twitter Q&A session yesterday?
    It was a bit of a joke...
    He has a live gig from LA streaming on February 21

Worth it for this response:
    @ncandtbs #asknickcave what would you recommend for young musicians who wants to carry out their dream to be a great musician like you?
    Nick Cave & TBS ✔ @ncandtbs

.@chrizantemus Lower your expectations.

Oddly, he liked this picture of him. http://instagram.com/p/KL8sRsPvLn/

Er, he sounds like a stuck up pr1ck.
    Nothing I didn't sorta know that though.

• Advertisement

Oddly, he liked this picture of him. http://instagram.com/p/KL8sRsPvLn/

I thought he said that as a joke, as in 'I'm not a great musician'.

Dan_Solo wrote: »

He has a good sense of humour , something you seem to be lacking in.

duckysauce wrote: »
    He has a good sense of humour , something you seem to be lacking in.
    Whatever.
    Nick Cave... self deprecating funnyman... sure thing mate, yeah, loving it.:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

I'll start handing out infractions if this continues the way it's going......

Whatever.
    Nick Cave... self deprecating funnyman... sure thing mate, yeah, loving it.:rolleyes:

gald you are happy , ps I am not your mate as I do not know you.

do mcd et al not have a problem having their artists being called pr icks , whats the boards policy here , seeing they are so PC ?????????????

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

duckysauce wrote: »
    do mcd et al not have a problem having their artists being called pr icks , whats the boards policy here , seeing they are so PC ?????????????

If you have a problem with a post, report it.

The next posts on here better be about Nick Cave and nothing off topic. If it's in anyway off topic you're banned for a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

As the man said, let's get back to talking about the man/album.

Tender Prey through to Boatman's Call was the golden period for me - with those two being the highlights at each end.

Since then, haven't got into any of the albums - until now.

I like the idea of a song about the Higgs Boson search, but not a huge fan of the track.

Everything else on the album sounds strong to me - so good that while I hopefully will see him play @ Primavera, I also want him to turn up on an Irish festival bill. Could be a great fit for this new Longitude thing... And might help me convince the wife to go along.

In summary, a fine album by a true rock legend. If he does play Ireland and you are any sort of a fan, make sure to go. Has the potential to be one of the best gigs you'll ever go to.

Have seen him a few times including one less than memorable seated show in London. A gig at Liss Ard in Cork in the late 90's is in my top 5 gigs list - doubtful I'll see him match it but I can dream.... :)

Advertisement