Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading Dell Inspiron 580

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I'd say not to bother with the PSU at all and just get a 7750. It's very likely that this is within the power capabilities of Dell's PSU. Just check that it'll fit (i.e., if it's one of those small form factor PCs) and that you have a free PCI-E slot.

Post up the specs on the side of the PSU if you want to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

I've a 6870 in my Inspiron 580 Mini Tower that just about fits. I needed to upgrade my PSU tho. AFAIK the 7750 (which is much smaller) doesn't require power directly from the PSU so you'd be fine with the stock 300w.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭jc4517

Monotype wrote: »
    I'd say not to bother with the PSU at all and just get a 7750. It's very likely that this is within the power capabilities of Dell's PSU. Just check that it'll fit (i.e., if it's one of those small form factor PCs) and that you have a free PCI-E slot.

Post up the specs on the side of the PSU if you want to be sure.

I don't have the exact specs of the stock dell psu but I know its only 300w and it says on the 7750 requirements page it need 400w minimum

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/7000/7750/Pages/radeon-7750.aspx#3

Does anyone think the psu I'm looking at looks a bit dodgy considering its not really a well known brand (HighPower)? Might I be cheaping out a bit here?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Specs on graphics cards often overestimate the needs to compensate for bad quality PSUs.

The 7750 is extremely frugal. Less than 50W.
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/HD_7750/24.html

An overclocked system on it's own is usually well under 200W. Without knowing your specs, it's quite likely that even with the 7750, consumption would be under 200W, even under load.

Dell usually use Delta PSUs. Not really the most awesome PSUs on the block, but they'll usually deliver what they say and are fairly stable. Dell don't want people knocking on their doors with destroyed components (at the same time, they want people to buy higher grade systems instead of upgrading).

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭jc4517

Now thinking of going with a radeon hd 6670 as i've done a bit of research and apparently the results with the 6670 are better than with the 4650 and the power requirements are the same. Also decided to scrap the new psu and stick with the stock dell 300w one in my computer currently as advised by the many google searches I have done. What do you guys think? Bad move or no..?

• Advertisement
Advertisement