Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Greyhound Waste 2013 new charges may cost me over €200 more in 2013

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

goz83 wrote: »
    Doesn't matter if they sent a letter (which was totally misleading by the way). They say you must pay in advance. No payment was made for their service charge, so a contract does not exist by their own terms and conditions.

Yeah, their terms are quite explicit, especially "This contract and these terms and conditions shall apply for a period of 12 months".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Well the bin wasn't collected in their 'special collection' as promised - they drove by the road!!! ...The 3 bins are being delivered back to them tomorrow morning!! New red bins arrived this morning and loads more popping up in the area!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

The 3 empty GH bins are still outside the garden, waiting to be collected. Also had 2 of my Oxigen bins outside for collection this morning...5 bins in total, thanks to GH not picking up their bins as promised. I won't be responsible for them if they're taken. My contract is cancelled and I left the bins out as instructed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Same thing happened with me and Greyhound, we weren't aware the yearly subscription fee was going to be taken from the account, so there wasn't the balance to cover it, and Greyhound didn't lift the bins.

Signed up to Citybin straight after getting off the phone to Greyhound. Happy days. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭pcasso

I paid Greyhound Waste €229 last November to sign up for the yearly unlimited lift package.
    Having checked my account it seems they have decided to put me on a different policy which charges per lift.
    I haven't contacted them yet but I will tomorrow.
    Has this happened to anyone else?

• Advertisement

pcasso wrote: »
    I paid Greyhound Waste €229 last November to sign up for the yearly unlimited lift package.
    Having checked my account it seems they have decided to put me on a different policy which charges per lift.

The stupid feckers. Can't say i'm surprised, considering everything they've messed up in recent months.

I'm still waiting for my bins to be taken away since the 2nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭pcasso

pcasso wrote: »
    To be fair to Greyhound they got back to me after the second email of complaint (the one that contained a threat to move service provider) and have now updated my account to what I paid for in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭BubbleBalls

Hi,

In Dec (5th or 6th) I asked for the automatic topup to be disabled and for the contract to be "not renewed" come Jan 1st. I must have sent 6 or 7 mails stating that it should not be renewed. I got confirmation that the Auto top up was cancelled. During that time I switched CC provider (purely coincidental) but as expected - On Jan my GH ac showed a minus balance. I then got two emails per day stating my automatic topup needed attention as funds were not released.

So back onto GH - tried to tell me I need to fill out online forms and that they are extremely busy (wonder why?) and were abit surprised that I advised of the cancellation early Dec.

Two days later emails stopped and my ac is back in the plus. Emailed them yesterday saying Bins have not been collected after 2 weeks and I had to fetch one from the other end of the road (kids messing) and because of this i take no responsibility for them. Still awaiting a cheque for the balance - what a shower!

I have come across rolling contracts before, that auto renew, once the first period expires, but these have had cooling off periods of between one/two months. So you call and cancel and monies deducted automatically are reimbursed to you - I don't think it will be that simple in this case.

Have they issued their revised T&C post the NCA visit? Interesting to see if this rolling charge was included in that nice little meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 jondo12

If you have credit above €19.99 remaining in your account then GH will automatically switch you to the monthly charge until the credit is gone. I use a composter so there is no brown bin waste and I only put out the black bin about 4 times a year. Green bin is free so should work out about €120 for 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Greyhound cost my house ~e280 in 2012, so I switched to the new crowd. e99 for 2013 - sorted.

The ****ers still haven't taken the old bins away tho, even after posting them the official form and ringing them twice with friendly reminders. Gonna have to make a littering complaint against them now :D

• Advertisement

It took 5 weeks but the GH bins have finally been collected - but it was my neighbour who told the crew to collect my bins. They came to collect her bins and she asked they take mine - she cancelled a week ago.

Received a check for my a/c balance on Friday. So finally I am free from them.

Will be watching how they change their tactics to compete with Citybin.

Adios.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Mad Benny

Still waiting for these bunch of wasters (excuse the pun) to take away the bins.

I was talking to one of their customer services representatives and apparently half of their customers are leaving to go to City Bin.

They don't care. It would take a lot for me to ever go back to Greyhound. They keep telling me that they will take the bins at the end of the week. I've been waiting 7 weeks.

Mad Benny wrote: »
    Still waiting for these bunch of wasters (excuse the pun) to take away the bins.

I was talking to one of their customer services representatives and apparently half of their customers are leaving to go to City Bin.

They don't care. It would take a lot for me to ever go back to Greyhound. They keep telling me that they will take the bins at the end of the week. I've been waiting 7 weeks.

They have been badly stung. If half their customers are leaving to citybin then surely jobs are in jeopardy there. Very bad business practises as the owners clearly thought they were onto a moneymaker and tried to extort their customers. Delighted that people are switching - even people who have already paid an annual charge are switching.

As I said a neighbour, who had her bins collected only one week after she cancelled, asked the driver to take mine. If she had not done that it would have been several more weeks. My wife told me last week that somebody from GH called and asked if our bins had been collected - 4 months after I asked them to cancel.

So it looks like they collected my bins (off schedule) and refunded me but then were not sure if they had collected them. Confused.

I would also find it very difficult to go back to GH unless they change their practices. I am quite happy with 99 euro for Citybin this year, and as they have already guaranteed that 2014 would cost 180 euros, I reckon I'm sorted for next year too. What are the odds on GH doing a special for 2014? 139 all in?

I would also find it very difficult to go back to GH unless they change their practices.

I would more quickly run naked through a gang of gay horny bikers than return to GH.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Greyhound charging me for removing bins which they've already done and two months cancellation period where I still have to pay monthly fee. This is crazy. I dint gave Any bins and they're still charging me plus over 40e to remove bins!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

I got same email, sent them one back saying ill clean bins plus deliver them to their work address...Havent heard back from them yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Mad Benny wrote: »

Get in touch with the City council about it. Greyhound are supposed to be operating to certain timeframes and that would include collecting bins from customers who cancel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭ifElseThen

When did Greyhound introduce a pay-per-weight system in the Dublin City Council area? My old pair were charged €41.87 for their last 2 black bin lifts. Prior to that it was €7 per lift.

12-Feb-2013 9:06 AM 61 Black bin €18.38
    15-Jan-2013 8:57 AM 76.5 Black bin €23.49

Since Jan 2012, they've paid €312 in total and had 13 black bins collected which works out at €24 per bin.

GH new charges came into play January this year, but they tried to get people to pay the annual service charge early. I don't think anyone should be with GH, as they are a shower to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

Can't believe it, cancelled with GH last week, they sent email Monday looking for money to take bins away, as I said before in last post I sent them an email the other day saying I will clean bins plus deliver them myself....Got home today to see bins were gone!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Lyn256

I'm in Lucan and with Thorntons.
    My waste bill for 2012 was €110.90-prices went up half way through the way but based on last year waste my bill this year will be about e115
    This figures include annual charge and is for a family of 4. (kids age 3 and almost 5)
    Black bin collected 6 times (3 x 7.50 a lift 3 x 8.50 a lift)
    Total weight collected 335kg approx (This also included 1 year of a child in nappies)
    Brown bin collected 3 times (2 x 4.20 1 x 4.50)
    Total weight collected 296kg (they are soooo heavy going out)
    Green bin collected fortnightly FREE

Annual fee €50 Black bin €8.50 a lift brown bin €4.50 a lift for 2013

Polite and courteous to deal with on the phone (had a issue once with bin not collected and collected within 4 days)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

cancelled the start of Jan, over a half dozen emails to them and 2 phone calls and I'm still waiting on my refund today

promised each time on the phone it would be sorted.

clowns

edit

yay refund at last!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭banchang

Do Greyhound charge to remove bins if you move to Citybins ?

Can you drop the bins back to them to avoid the fee ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

banchang wrote: »
    Do Greyhound charge to remove bins if you move to Citybins ?

Can you drop the bins back to them to avoid the fee ?

Tell them you are refusing to pay for their bins to be collected.

I told them I was not paying them to collect their property that they want back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭ifElseThen

Signed the parents up to Thorntons today. At least for the moment they are transparent with their pricing. Greyhound's €40 charge is a pathetic attempt to bleed their exiting customers. Their premises is not too far from me so I'll be dropping the bins back myself...

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Keithchap

I had signed up to the 2 part service charge (2 * €50) and €7 per lift. Worked for me as I only had 6 lifts last year. I just realized on my account that they had switched me to the monthly plan of €15 per month without informing me, scumbags. I've sent a mail insisting on a refund for the difference since they switched me, lets see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭banchang

Tell them you are refusing to pay for their bins to be collected.

I told them I was not paying them to collect their property that they want back.

How did that work out for you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

banchang wrote: »
    How did that work out for you ?

Cheque received today!!!!

Advertisement