Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recumbents

Options
  • 05-11-2012 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

hi is there anywhere in ireland selling them and what would you expect to pay for a good second hand one like the street machine gt ect?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

i had a lad stay with me last year from england we were doing a bit of touring anyway he was on a recumbent towing a bob trailer.
    jesus those bents can certainly move he could average 25mph no problem but died on hills ;)
    if you like i can find out for you where is the best place to buy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

but died on hills

Jaysus, I can die on hills no bother with my standard bike. Don't need no recumbent for that... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

jesus those bents can certainly move he could average 25mph no problem but died on hills ;)

I was passed a few years ago by a guy riding a recumbent up the southbound road to Sallygap. More correctly, I was left wondering whether I'd inadvertently discovered the reverse gear on my bike as he disappeared off up the road, its feckin' little flag taunting me as it shrunk quickly out of sight. So they can go some up the hills too!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 icona

if you like i can find out for you where is the best place to buy one.

Yea id imagine be scary stuff and dangerous or fatal flat out down a hill on a recumbent

yea that be great if you could or know anyone selling used

thanks a mill

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭afishyfish

Hi all. I'm doing the Dublin city marathon for charity in October. I need to rent/borrow a couple of recumbent trikes. Suggestions or offers would me much appreciated. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

afishyfish wrote: »
    Hi all. I'm doing the Dublin city marathon for charity in October. I need to rent/borrow a couple of recumbent trikes. Suggestions or offers would me much appreciated. Thanks.

Are bikes/recumbants allowed in the DCM?? Just checked the entry form here and definitely no handbikes allowed. (i and a few others would definitely do it if we could)

I've been asked by a charity to do it on their behalf. They say it allowed.
    Apparently there's a specific section for trikes/hand bikes etc..
    I'm only going on what I've been told. I haven't approached the organisers so can't be sure.

I've been asked by a charity to do it on their behalf. They say it allowed.
    Apparently there's a specific section for trikes/hand bikes etc..
    I'm only going on what I've been told. I haven't approached the organisers so can't be sure.

Thats interesting to know :) Could you let me know if thats actually the case? It would be a nice target for me for years end :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Altreab wrote: »
    Thats interesting to know :) Could you let me know if thats actually the case? It would be a nice target for me for years end :)

I have seen it at at least one marathon, but it is a separate section from the main race (it is either before or after the elites). AFAIK, it is only for those athletes with a disability that would make running the race impossible, ot for anyone who wants too.

I would ask over on the ART forums anyway to clarify in case I am blowing smoke.

CramCycle wrote: »
    I have seen it at at least one marathon, but it is a separate section from the main race (it is either before or after the elites). AFAIK, it is only for those athletes with a disability that would make running the race impossible, ot for anyone who wants too.

I would ask over on the ART forums anyway to clarify in case I am blowing smoke.

Yes Dublin City Marathon does have wheelchair athletes but dont allow handbikes (essentially recumbent bikes) in any form.** The Marathon is organised under IAAF rules. For disabled athletes wheelchair racing is concidered to be "running" and the Handbikes are cycling. Cork city marathon does have a handcycle category :D
    They are all let off a few minutes ahead of the main bunch as they would be slower accellerating but a heck of a lot faster over the marathon distance :) Wheelchairs do t generally under 2 hours and the record for the handcyclist is 1 hour 25 minutes :)

**They did a few years ago and thats why there is a record :)

• Advertisement

Altreab wrote: »
    Yes Dublin City Marathon does have wheelchair athletes but dont allow handbikes (essentially recumbent bikes) in any form.** The Marathon is organised under IAAF rules. For disabled athletes wheelchair racing is concidered to be "running" and the Handbikes are cycling.

This is incorrect.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

This is incorrect.
    Anything else to add? Such as why? what is correct etc.?

Sorry. Yes. Of course.
    I completed the Dublin City Marathon last month on a trike. I wasn't the only one either.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

I've grown a beard for Movember. Now I'm getting this strange urge to buy a recumbent. Is this normal?

There is a fella rides a 'bent that I often see in the mornings, around the Con Colbert rd. Looks cool, although I'd be worried about the plexiglas screen catching a cross-wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

The last time I was in the down stairs bike shop in Templebar, can't remember the shops name but I'll guess it's the Templebar bike shop, he had a tandem recumbent.
    Now that was an interesting conversation.
    He had a lot to say about recumbents so you could do worse than popping into him.

Nice guy for a Dublin downstairs shop owner...

rp wrote: »
    I've grown a beard for Movember. Now I'm getting this strange urge to buy a recumbent. Is this normal?

There is a fella rides a 'bent that I often see in the mornings, around the Con Colbert rd. Looks cool, although I'd be worried about the plexiglas screen catching a cross-wind.

It's perfectly normal to get that urge after growing a beard.
    Just get one without the screen. You'll be grand. Or go for a recumbent trike. It would take a fair gust of wind to knock you off.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

rp wrote: »

I chatted to him very briefly outside the Lime Tree Café. He seems very happy with his recumbent indeed. He didn't have a beard.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    He didn't have a beard.

Nobody's perfect!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

The last time I was in the down stairs bike shop in Templebar, can't remember the shops name but I'll guess it's the Templebar bike shop, he had a tandem recumbent.
    Now that was an interesting conversation.

I met a husband and wife team on an electrified tandem recumbent trike during the summer. Serious machine. Electric motor was one of of this type mounted to a chain of its own IIRC. I think they built it at home...

China_YCL_Series_Heavy_Duty_Single_Phase_Capacitor_Start_And_Run_Induction_Motor_Electric_Motor20091111912067.jpg

Advertisement