Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waltzes at weddings

Options
  • 01-11-2012 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone

My 5 piece rock band has started doing weddings recently and have been going great but we do get requests for old time waltzes which I know you have to do. Any suggestions for songs that aren't brutal and people will like? We do the Black Velvet Band which is ok. It's all about pleasing the grannies with the waltzes!

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

That's Amore or a cd :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭davylee

feel your pain! it's hard to get away from it at times though. we used do
    where do you go to my lovely
    lucille
    que cera cera
    red rose cafe
    one day at a time
    molly molone
    spancill hill
    cant think of any more

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

A few more waltz-ie songs that go down well with the older crew:

Old Flames
    Goodnight Irene
    The Galway Shawl
    Make me an Island
    Sea of Heartbreak

There was a little series of books called something like 'The Classic Country Songbook' (parts 1, 2, and 3) that a friend of mine had years ago too.

Maybe have a look online or in the local music shop to find this and get a few 3/4-time songs from there.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭paligulus1

More for a slow dance type walse but I think Imelda May's Falling In Love With You Again works really well in that setting - great soung as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Dee21

black hills of dakota from calamity jane - gets the grannies up, check out anything by the country and irish musicians jimmy buckley, robert mizzel, mike denver, nathan carter etc they usually have a good mix of up tempos and waltzes suitable for weddings. actually on your wedding day by jimmy buckley is a great one for the oul dolls :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Mongo

Thanks for the replies guys. Is it just me or are nearly all of the old school waltzes naff? Still gotta do it though!

Advertisement