Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

***Match Thread*** Tue 30/10 19:15 WES2 v The Reserves

Options
  • 29-10-2012 10:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

Dave - in
    Jules - in
    Wes - in
    Cathal - in
    Conor - in
    Keith P - in
    Derek - out
    Darren - in
    Gar - in
    Keith R - in
    Ciaran - in
    Clay -
    Collie - out
    Pete -
    Mark - in
    Damian - in

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Mall10357

I Am Out For Tonight

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Need a win tonight, should get us to mid-table where we can start pushing on.

We havent played either of the top 2 teams so we are still well in this

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

3-0 loss after being 0-0 at half time and probably should have been a goal or two up.

They're second goal was impressive but we just didnt play in the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Noni Goggins

Hard luck last night lads. I thought ye were the better team but we just got a bit of momentum in the second half and got a couple of good goals. With the pitch and the conditions the first goal was always going to be crucial as it puts serious pressure on the opposing team.

You were definitely up there with the best teams we've played so far so I wouldn't be surprised to see you go on a run of winning games. You still have the top 2 teams to play so you're not out of the running for the title yet.

Who was your centre mid-fielder last night btw? Very impressive player.

Who was your centre mid-fielder last night btw? Very impressive player.

Which one ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

He's probably talking about the ref. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Ah, now that the dust has settled it's time to reflect.

We lost 3-0 but in no way was it a 3-0 game, we should have been 2-0 up. We had 2 point blank headers from a few yards out and I think if these were put away it would have been a different game.

We played some really really good stuff in the 1st half, Gar and Damien bombing down the wings and linking up with the midfield really well, Keith and Cathal great passing out off the defense and we were able to link attack with midfield and there wasn't massive gaps between us, we were by far and away the better team in the 1st half and should have gone in a few up.

I think what happened then is that we had the wind at our backs which was a burden because then we started to rely slightly more on the longer balls up the field as apposed to into feet which got us the open chances we created in the 1st half.

We got tired near the end, I distinctly remember asking the Ref how long was left and he said 16 minutes this was at 0-0, it's hard when you only have 12 Men and you can't get a rest but this is when fitness tells guys and as Jules said they were a fitter team and that showed in the last 15 when they opened us up.

You couldn't really do anything for 2 of their goals, the 1st one was just a lovely triage of 1 touch passes that led to a goal, 2nd goal was just a wonder cross and a good header, 3rd goal I can't even remember :).

I think if we get a few more additions to the squad which can give people a break mid game for 5-10 minutes and alleviate some of the pressure on others we will be in a much better position.

I also think we would benefit from some more ball, some people obviously only play once a week if you're at it 2-3 times a week, life not withstanding obviously, then your sharpness or touch is going to be sooooo much better.
    I think a 6 a side is a good Idea, alternatively I play football on a Sunday morning at 11 and Monday night at 8.30 and anyone is welcome, it's a friendly game but a very good standard varying from 10 a side to 7 a side.
    If you're looking for a bit more game time then PM me your name and number and I'll be happy to help.

Good performance guys we lost but we lost trying to do the right thing for the majority of the game, fitness and a few more players and we will be sound, I don't think the league is out of our reach yet, if we can build up some momentum I think we have a chance.

Darren.

We play the league leaders next week.
    We play a mid table team the week after
    and we play 2nd place the week after that.

If we can win those 3 games, league is WIDE open.

Lets strive for 6/7 points out of these 3 games.

Yeah I'd agree with most of what Darren said below. You should have been a couple up at half time which would have been an easy lead to defend given the tough conditions out there on Tuesday night.

I reckon ye have a great chance next week against the league leaders. We played them in the first game and drew with them even though we were missing a few players. We had the better chances all night long and should definitely have won by a couple of goals. The finishing just wasn't there which was understandable as it was the first week and those Wesley hockey pitches take a bit of getting used to.

I saw them coming off the pitch the other night after hammering a nine man team 6 nil and they were cock-a-hoop, thinking they had the league won already. You'd do us all a favour if you brought them down a peg or two next week and I've no doubt you will because you're the better football team. They rely on having big lads down the middle which suits their primitive <snip>long ball game. Keep it on the floor and you'll take them.

To paraphrase Kevin Keegan, "I would love it if you beat them, love it!"

Yeah I'd agree with most of what Darren said below. You should have been a couple up at half time which would have been an easy lead to defend given the tough conditions out there on Tuesday night.

I reckon ye have a great chance next week against the league leaders. We played them in the first game and drew with them even though we were missing a few players. We had the better chances all night long and should definitely have won by a couple of goals. The finishing just wasn't there which was understandable as it was the first week and those Wesley hockey pitches take a bit of getting used to.

I saw them coming off the pitch the other night after hammering a nine man team 6 nil and they were cock-a-hoop, thinking they had the league won already. You'd do us all a favour if you brought them down a peg or two next week and I've no doubt you will because you're the better football team. They rely on having big lads down the middle which suits their primitive <snip> long ball game. Keep it on the floor and you'll take them.

To paraphrase Kevin Keegan, "I would love it if you beat them, love it!"

Haha, nice post, who were you on the team the other night ?

• Advertisement

I'm hardly going to tell you that now sReq. <snip>

Anyway, I reckon it's time to move onto the next gameweek because I don't want to give those lads something they can pin on the dressing room wall before they play us.

Best of luck in the rest of the league!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Yeh, I'd agree with most of what Darren said. It was a pretty even game up to their 1st goal, which was a really well-worked goal. Their number 10 on their right side was quality and pulled the strings well from there and was involved in all 3 goals.

The gap in fitness between the 2 teams was what made the difference in the last 15minutes for me: if we'd been on an even keel in fitness after their first went in, we could still have turned it around as we both could've scored a couple before then.

We did play some decent football out from the back and had midfielders playing more balls to strikers' feet and balls in between fullback and centre-half than usual. Our touch and pace up front should have done more with those, but the fact that we were supplying more ball upfront than usual is an improvement and one we should keep.

As I said when putting my hand up at the end, almost every player needs to work on their fitness for the good of the team - when we have it we've certainly got the goods to play decent ball, but if you're lacking that bit of sharpness towards the end, getting it and keeping it become more difficult. So we each need to take action on that front.

Darren, I'd be on for joining your game next Monday if that works? Getting a 6-a-side going would be good too.

Also lads, we could do with maybe 2 more additions to the squad, so get the word out there to any decent players you know - with better fitness and a couple more players there we'll be left barebones less often and much better positioned to get back to our winning ways of recent seasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Can everyone calm down with the abuse towards the players from other teams please.

Thanks lads.

Advertisement