Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

New to Airsoft

• 20-10-2012 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭ platinums

I have been intrigued by Airsoft for some time. I was looking at guns a few months back and lost interest due to the prices.

Then out of the blue, for my Birthdaymy GF got me a nifty little Colt 1911, gas, BB's the lot. Cool i thought.

But so as it doesnt just sit there is there anyway I can use it and take it to an event or soemthing?
    Is that enough to get me started? I dont want to shell out another €3-400 for more kit just yet.

Any one have an idea of Events around the Mullingar area, taveling up to 60k is no problem either

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ dinnybyrne

platinums wrote: »
    I have been intrigued by Airsoft for some time. I was looking at guns a few months back and lost interest due to the prices.

Then out of the blue, for my Birthdaymy GF got me a nifty little Colt 1911, gas, BB's the lot. Cool i thought.

But so as it doesnt just sit there is there anyway I can use it and take it to an event or soemthing?
    Is that enough to get me started? I dont want to shell out another €3-400 for more kit just yet.

Any one have an idea of Events around the Mullingar area, taveling up to 60k is no problem either
    im a mullingar airsofter myself. The nearest spot is the compound near kells,its a very good site and its about 40mins away.they do rentals there so just give paul a call before you show up. Dont be in any rush to get any gear , once you get the bug you will spend all your spare cash!! And welcome to the wonderful world of airsoft you wont regret it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭ Southern Dandy

Dinny made a good point there, try a rental before you shell out the dosh if you like that much then you can justify the expense.

Only thing I will say the initial start up cost can be quite high this all depending if you want to buy good quality gear i.e a good brand of aeg, clothing, accessories etc but once that is done your sorted only thing is when your bitten you want more and more be it a new aeg or knee pads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,160 Inari

Southern Dandy is right - Airsoft does have a substantial startup cost...but so do most hobbies e.g. surfing, Kayaking, Rock Climbing, BMX etc...the trick is to test the water before plunging arse-deep into it :)

If you want to try it out using only your pistol, then Kilkenny Airsoft shooting range or Tallaght CQB skirmish site are the only two places I can think of where just a pistol would suffice.

I would strongly echo the advice of the lads above and rent before buying, as if you are 100% sure you're going to stick with it then you can go for higher quality brands from the get go and bypass the "starter gun" stuff - plus gun and gear selection depends entirely on how you play, and how you want to be seen. Welcome to Airsoft; home of the fashion police :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,432 Kashkai

I took the plunge and bought high quality helikon camo gear but tbh, I usually wear my cheapo flektarn bdu as I don't mind crawling around in the muck in that as it cost a third of the price:p

I think most guys who got into airsoft made some purchasing decisions that they later regretted. You don't need a full load out when starting off. Some cheap camo gear, some ankle boots, and eye/face protection is all you need to start out, and a gun of course:D. Later on, if you decide you like this hobby, you can add a tac vest, helmet, knee pads, pistol holster etc etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,546 ✭✭✭ Yusuf Raspy Skepticism

I think most guys who got into airsoft made some purchasing decisions that they later regretted.

Preach on brother....garage full of wall hanger and useless accessories. Defo try before u buy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 dancer14

yep,i agree that you dont need a whole lot at the start but on the other hand i would say just be cautious about rentals.in my expierience they are not looked after like you would your own gear.i have been out a few times and have seen rental guns that have been in a sorry state of repair...what im try saying is if you get a "bad" gun dont let it put you off

Advertisement