Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Most overrated movies?

• 17-10-2012 11:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭PaulB1984

Godfather Part II, Gone With The Wind, Citizen Kane, most of Hitchcock's movies... Caddyshack... Anyone got any others they think are hugely overrated and overhyped?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,053 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The Departed and Apocalypse Now are the only 2 that spring to mind.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ Major Agreeable Vat

PaulB1984 wrote: »
    Godfather Part II, Gone With The Wind, Citizen Kane, most of Hitchcock's movies... Caddyshack... Anyone got any others they think are hugely overrated and overhyped?

Any of The Lord Of The Rings movies. I couldn't wait to get out of the cinema... I don't even remember which one it was but it seemed to be drawing to an end - then there would be another 15 mins of shyte! It would look like it was about to end again - and another 15 mins of shyte! This happened a few times!!

Avatar - great special effects, nothing else.

The latest Batman one... I'm convinced everyone was raving about how good it was just because they didn't want to differentiate from the general consensus. It was OK but nothing special.

Ahhhhh.... That felt good!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Avatar, turned it off half way through, quite terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Kerplunk124

Yeah Lord of the Rings for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 32,943 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Just going to agree with 2 here so far.

The Departed - OTT ham acting of the highest order.

Avatar, watched to the end, unfortunately. Pure pants.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭PaulB1984

Loved The Departed, but 1 million percent agree on Apocalypse Now, awful movie, no saving grace for it, never understood the love of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

Donnie Brasco.

It was absolutely terrible, I was really looking forward to it after watching the Sopranos and a documentary about Donnie's story.

I really don't understand why it got such good ratings, I thought it was such a let down and I don't know why they felt the need to switch the characters around....made no sense :confused:

Any of The Lord Of The Rings movies. I couldn't wait to get out of the cinema... I don't even remember which one it was but it seemed to be drawing to an end - then there would be another 15 mins of shyte! It would look like it was about to end again - and another 15 mins of shyte! This happened a few times!!

Avatar - great special effects, nothing else.

The latest Batman one... I'm convinced everyone was raving about how good it was just because they didn't want to differentiate from the general consensus. It was OK but nothing special.

Ahhhhh.... That felt good!

LOL :D Totally agree on Dark Knight Rises, i'm a huge fan of Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, but that third movie just completely let me down. A Batman movie that lasts over 2 and a half hours and features 10 minutes of on screen Batman can only be bad, and the dreadful Bane villian, awful movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

I thought Scarface was very middling, while I just didn't get the Lord of the Rings mania, wasn't impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,955 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I just couldn't get in to Krzysztof Kieślowski's Three Colours Trilogy. They gave me that "why should I care about these people?" feeling that spoils any movie for me.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement

Tayla wrote: »
    Donnie Brasco.

It was absolutely terrible, I was really looking forward to it after watching the Sopranos and a documentary about Donnie's story.

I really don't understand why it got such good ratings, I thought it was such a let down and I don't know why they felt the need to switch the characters around....made no sense :confused:

I remembered watching Donnie Brasco about 10 years ago and really enjoying it. Then watched it again on RTE 1 a few weeks ago and didn't think as much of it, it really did make no sense, the storylines were too badly fused together, Pacino's acting was really bad and it had zero ending. Must agree with your post on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

All of the Harry Potter movies,I never got the hype.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Lord of the Rings - hours and hours of running through a forest

Avatar - Brilliant fx, but very poor story

The Commitments - it was alright the first time

Star Wars - the same nonsense over and over for 6 movies

anything with Ben Stiller, Adam Sandler, Ricky Gervais, Owen Wilson, Russell Brand, Seth Rogan, Hugh Grant, Eddie Murphy, Drew Barrymore, Julia Roberts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Shawshank Redemption.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Inglourious Basterds, Shawshank Redemption, Avatar, Titanic, Departed, Inception.Lord Of The Rings, Star Wars ( all of them)

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭NedLowry

MJ23 wrote: »
    Lord of the Rings - hours and hours of running through a forest

I'm a fan of LOTR but that did make me laugh.

Couldn't get into Lost In Translation at all. Might give it another go at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

PaulB1984 wrote: »
    I remembered watching Donnie Brasco about 10 years ago and really enjoying it. Then watched it again on RTE 1 a few weeks ago and didn't think as much of it, it really did make no sense, the storylines were too badly fused together, Pacino's acting was really bad and it had zero ending. Must agree with your post on it.

Yep the ending was really bad, I remember watching it and waiting for it to get better and then it was over!

I don't understand why they felt the need to switch the characters,in real life it was Sonny who was murdered and Lefty got picked up by the FBI before he could be killed.

They also made out that Donnie and Lefty had a very close friendship but again it was actually Sonny who was very close to Donnie. let him stay in his house and he was also the one who said that he was glad that if anyone had to take him down that it was him.

The book is supposed to be brilliant though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭weemcd

deer hunter did nothing for me

and i'm a big fan of christopher walken and de niro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

NedLowry wrote: »
    Couldn't get into Lost In Translation at all. Might give it another go at some stage.

Don't bother - I can confirm that it's complete ****e.

Other over-rated movies are: 1) Anything to do with Monty Python (and I'm male!) 2) Anything with Keanu Reeves - undoubtedly the worst A-List actor in history and 3) Don't know if they're highly-rated or not but both Armageddon and Independence Day are laughably awful junk.

Can't agree with the people dissing Apocalypse Now! - one of the great movies in cinematic history. Even the story of it's creation is epic and amazing - someone should make a movie of that!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

byronbay2 wrote: »
    Apocalypse Now! - one of the great movies in cinematic history. Even the story of it's creation is epic and amazing - someone should make a movie of that!:D

You probably mean feature film, but incase you didn't know about this, they sort of did:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102015/

I can't understand why people think that movie is anything but incredible, but different strokes, etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Slumdog Millionaire. Ridiculously far fetched plot, on the whole woeful acting, yet what did it win, seven odd Oscars? Unbelieveable!

300 was utterly terrible as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Cartel Mike

Total recall
    American graffiti
    Inglorious bastards
    American beauty
    Full metal jacket

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

These threads

• Registered Users Posts: 16 jonasjones

Tree of Life. In general I like to live and let live, but I'm convinced that anyone who says they liked this movie is a liar! 139 long minutes of my life that I'm never getting back...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

There Will Be Blood...just didn't really enjoy it.
    Aenaes wrote: »
    Shawshank Redemption.
    Get the hell out of here! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ Major Agreeable Vat

NIMAN wrote: »

The Departed - OTT ham acting of the highest order.

I enjoyed The Departed - I liked the concept of how it ends.
    Tayla wrote: »
    Donnie Brasco.

I also enjoyed Donnie Brasco. Thought Johnny Depp was very good in it. Ive never gotten the whole Al Pacino hype thing though.... He just seems to scream and shout a lot. Well at least in anything I've seen him in that's all he's done! :confused:
    MJ23 wrote: »

The Commitments - it was alright the first time

I have to strongly disagree here! The Commitments is an excellent film - gets better every time I watch it! Although maybe that's nostalgia kicking in - and me longing for my childhood - which was in a similar area, and at the same time as the film was made. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

jonasjones wrote: »
    Tree of Life. In general I like to live and let live, but I'm convinced that anyone who says they liked this movie is a liar! 139 long minutes of my life that I'm never getting back...

Had to turn that off. Rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

marienbad wrote: »
    Inglourious Basterds, Shawshank Redemption, Avatar, Titanic, Departed, Inception.Lord Of The Rings, Star Wars ( all of them)

thought inglorious, shawshank and inception were all brilliant movies! agree with you on the rest!

I'd have to go with the new Batman, Looper and Taken

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

The Blues Brothers.Totally overrated film.There's not a funny moment in the whole movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Giuseppi

Anyone else think Ted was really overrated to?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement