Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Free food and Coffee for the Gardai in some establishments.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 Frank Serpico

Well, I wouldn't have taken them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

Boombastic wrote: »
    2 shops on the same street are robbed. Which one does the Gardai prioritise? - the one that gives them freebies of course -
    huh?
    Which one should they prioritise? What other information have we about these robberies to make a decision about who gets priority?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

you'd hope so but obviously these businesses aren't too confident about that, so they ensure a good relationship with the gardai by giving them free stuff.
    I don't think it's a case of buying their favour, even if the guards were completely incorruptible it would make logical sense for them to incentivise the guards to be regularly calling to the shop for services and food. If the criminals know that at any minute a guard could show up looking for a cup of coffee their less likely to want to rob the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

And really why does it bother you that much? It's coffee ffs.
    There is nothing unprofessional in taking a cup of coffee if it's offered for no charge. I................
    Seems to bother you more than me, afraid of loosing your perks?

Here's what went out for tender, nowhere does it mention coffee
    THE SUPPLY OF AUTOMOTIVE FUELS, ENGINE LUBRICATING
    OILS and CAR WASH THROUGH MEANS OF A CHARGE CARD
    MECHANISM

RGDATA! wrote: »
    huh?
    Which one should they prioritise? What other information have we about these robberies to make a decision about who gets priority?

One gives free coffee, the other doesn't

and here's your answer
    I worked in a place where I always gave the local guards free tea, biscuit and use of our canteen at night. I worked in a 24hr store and dealt with all the dregs of society at 3am.
    Why did i look after the guards??
    Cos when i was getting punched, robbed or threatened they came to help as soon as I called them and often drove past to check we were ok.

Why are a lot of garda resources being direct to act as security for Shell to Sea, when crime in urban and other rural areas is going ignored, wait...who owns Topaz and how was the contract awarded?

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Clarehobo

pay me 50k + and i don't need any "thanks"! and you can abuse me as much as you want :D

50k+ base pay for a normal Guard on the street??? Link to the source of this please!

And even at 50k+ I wouldn't dream of doing their job...

They have a thankless job, dealing with all the crap they put up with. So what if some places give them a free cuppa or a sandwich?

If I had the guards or an electrician or any other person around giving a hand, I'd offer a cup of tea and biscuits.

I know there's days I am constantly on the go where I don't have time to make a cup of tea, let alone get lunch and those are the days that someone will step up and offer to make one: I am always grateful for people who are genuinely nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Janedoe10

MidlandsM wrote: »
    ...and yes, it's the establishments choice to award food and/or drinks to a member of the Gardai but my question is, should a member of the Gardai accept such like?

I was in a very busy Topaz filling station where I always see lots of member of the force having their "break" the other day. There was a long Queue waiting to pay for stuff at the tills, which I was in. I know the girl at one of the tills and I noted a discreet exchange between her and a Garda who just got a coffee and some sort of snack.....she said "you're grand,no charge" ....and he just said "thanks" .......lots of people noted the Freebie, and lots of eye's rolled to heaven....

Personally I think he should insist on paying for it.....it look like a "Stroke" Freebie to me......

what do you think?

As others have said here , it is up to the shop . I wouldn't be grudge them their coffee and SNAK . It's not like the guard walked off out the door with all the do-nots . He did go to the till and he must have if the cashier said no charge .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

This thankless job bolloxology that keeps being posted........

A decent secure salary with lots of perks and a pension..........thankless me hole

A decent secure salary with lots of perks and a pension..........thankless me hole

and free coffee :pac:

• Site Banned Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Wee Willy Harris

Is it true that they must have everything shaped into a donut form else they can't swallow it? Kinda like a baby needs it's food pulped

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

and free coffee :pac:

...and snacks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

when i was in the pub in harolds cross i used to get a few guards. i didnt once let them have anything for free

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Work nights in a 24hour petrol station in the country. Often give away free coffee's etc to the local guards, just makes sense from a business point of view. In return ive their mobile numbers and ring them any time someone is causing a bit of hassle of whatever, theyll be there instantly, theyll check on the place a few times during the night aswell.

Likewise i give free coffee's to bus drivers, cause they bring customers, likewise delivery drivers sometimes and other people who help out the place, its good business sense! Actually the list is bigger, fire fighters, paramedics, god damm even road rescue for when we get broken cars coming into us!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

The topaz at city west always has gardai at it, I've never seen them pay. Do I have an issue with it ? No I don't. They have a ****ty job and work **** hours so if they a free cup if coffee and a few donuts let them have it tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

enricoh wrote: »
    i met the publican beside me in the local cop shop before crimbo last year, dropping in a box full of jemy, brandy etc. his place has plenty of late nights n never any hassle with cops knocking. good bit of business on his behalf but i think its a slippery slope

Is his pub built on an incline ?

timmywex wrote: »
    Work nights in a 24hour petrol station in the country. Often give away free coffee's etc to the local guards, just makes sense from a business point of view. In return ive their mobile numbers and ring them any time someone is causing a bit of hassle of whatever, theyll be there instantly, theyll check on the place a few times during the night aswell.

Likewise i give free coffee's to bus drivers, cause they bring customers, likewise delivery drivers sometimes and other people who help out the place, its good business sense!

So they do give preferential treatment for freebies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭GoodisonPark

I always got a free coffee at Topaz when filling my truck and using my Topaz card , most times was asked if Id like a free muffin as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

With having to put up with junkies, drunks, scumbags and everything else thrown at them on a daily basis, while having no support from the judges in this country.

The pay is great, yes it is relativity secure with a good pension, but with a risk of being injured and killed on duty. And this is the case as seen in Donegal over the last few years, young gardai who put themselves in harms way to recover someone's stolen car, and paid with their life. And at the same time they are constantly vilified by many in the public.

Give them their tea and coffee ffs.

So they do give preferential treatment for freebies

No, im sure they'd check the place a few times every night as its the only place open for maybe 20 miles at night. But its nice to have a way to say thanks.

Similarly if you work in an office, you might have a canteen to get your free coffee, might get some free stationary or even, god forbid, a trip away to a conference, dont see you complaining.

If in your line of work you were looking after me or helping me id give you a free coffee aswell! :eek:

With having to put up with junkies, drunks, scumbags and everything else thrown at them on a daily basis, while having no support from the judges in this country.

The pay is great, yes it is relativity secure with a good pension, but with a risk of being injured and killed on duty. And this is the case as seen in Donegal over the last few years, young gardai who put themselves in harms way to recover someone's stolen car, and paid with their life. And at the same time they are constantly vilified by many in the public.

Give them their tea and coffee ffs.

Maybe if the gardai give the judges free coffee, the judges would support them more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I can't see what all the fuss is about. So what it the Gardaí get the occasional free coffee or sandwich? They do a job that most of us wouldn't want to do. I recognise a few of our local Gardaí when I'm out shopping, only because I know the faces, otherwise when they're off duty or on lunch break they tend to try to cover the uniform and get on with their shopping.

The funerals of the 2 young policewomen in the UK last week highlighted the fact that frontline emergency service personnel can never be sure that they will make it home safely at the end of their shifts.

The level of begrudgery in this country is unreal. Talk about some people putting the 'cnut' into country.

• Advertisement

Similarly if you work in an office, you might have a canteen to get your free coffee, might get some free stationary or even, god forbid, a trip away to a conference, dont see you complaining.

If in your line of work you were looking after me or helping me id give you a free coffee aswell! :eek:

But who pays for it? my company
    Who pays for the gardais coffee?

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

And really why does it bother you that much? It's coffee ffs.
    There is nothing unprofessional in taking a cup of coffee if it's offered for no charge. I................
    Seems to bother you more than me, afraid of loosing your perks?

Here's what went out for tender, nowhere does it mention coffee
    THE SUPPLY OF AUTOMOTIVE FUELS, ENGINE LUBRICATING
    OILS and CAR WASH THROUGH MEANS OF A CHARGE CARD
    MECHANISM

RGDATA! wrote: »
    huh?

One gives free coffee, the other doesn't

and here's your answer
    I worked in a place where I always gave the local guards free tea, biscuit and use of our canteen at night. I worked in a 24hr store and dealt with all the dregs of society at 3am.
    Why did i look after the guards??
    Cos when i was getting punched, robbed or threatened they came to help as soon as I called them and often drove past to check we were ok.

Why are a lot of garda resources being direct to act as security for Shell to Sea, when crime in urban and other rural areas is going ignored, wait...who owns Topaz and how was the contract awarded?

What perks do I lose exactly?
    I'm not a guard if that's what your hinting at. I just can't understand why someone getting a free cup of coffee is such a big deal.
    It's actually pathetic that someone would begrudge someone a free cup of coffee because of their job.

Regardless who pays for it, its a perk to you yeh?

In this case, my company pays the 15c yeh!

As the truck driver above mentioned, he gets free coffees alot of the time after a fill! Welcome to the real world where everyone gets freebie's along the road!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Topaz more than likely. It costs them feck all to provide a cup of tea or coffee.

It's hardly costing other folk a fortune the fact a gardai gets a free tea

I'm not a guard if that's what your hinting at. I just can't understand why someone getting a free cup of coffee is such a big deal.
    It's actually pathetic that someone would begrudge someone a free cup of coffee because of their job.

It's the principal, should a jeweler have to give free jewelry? and it's not just 1 free cup of coffee it's 13, 559 * X number of cups of free coffee

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Should this thread title not read

"Free/discounted coffee for Emergency Service workers in some establishments"

It really is shocking to hear!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I don't have a problem with emergency services getting free coffee but taxi drivers can fcuk off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭talla10

It's a disgrace Joe!! First Croke Park now free coffee!!

Anybody who has a problem with Gardai getting free coffee is a miserable Cnut. I'd guess many jobs come with perks better than a free cup of coffee

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

It's the principal, should a jeweler have to give free jewelry? and it's not just 1 free cup of coffee it's 13, 559 * X number of cups of free coffee

Which topaz is obviously happy to hand out free of charge!
    It's entirely their business if they give out free cups of coffee to certain people or they can pour it down the sink if they want because it's their product to do as they please.

When there's a road safety campaign going on & they offer a free cup of tea or coffee to a driver in order to refresh them on a journey, do you have an issue with that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭DwightSchrute1

Seeing as Gardaí are getting free/discounted coffee from some establishments, do any of ye have any proof that in return the Gardaí are giving these establishments preferential treatment?

Or maybe ye are just using it as an excuse for some Garda bashing

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement