Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The transition from running to triathlons

Options
  • 05-10-2012 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭

So I have finally made my mind up of making the move from running to triathlons. Ordered the bike during the week, have a million question going around my head some of them very stupid and I will no doubt plague ye from now until my first one.:p

Hoping to do start back in the pool in a few weeks I'm a brutal swimmer so will need to get some lessons.

Anyone in the Portlaoise area from here know of any swimming lessons starting.

Looking at Portlaoise tri as my first one and from there who knows.

Anyone have any links for good training plans? Or where does one start.:D

Cheers
    Dave

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Start by just getting a few sessions of each discipline done per week. You'll soon see where your weaknesses lie. Get swim coaching, its too hard to make progress alone if your swim is very poor.

I can't recommend a specific plan, but you can easily research some online. I think at this stage you don't need to be too specific.

Portlaoise is a nice race with a pool swim so no messing with a wet suit. You'll enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Cheers for that Oryx. I would be pretty okay on the running side so would I just leave that for a while and concentrate on the swimming and cycling part.

Would going to spinning classes help with the cycling for a while, will probably be waiting for the bike for another month.

My main aim will be the olympic triathlon in Athy in June so may get working on the swimming.

Youve plenty of time to work on the swimming anyway, but for the Oly youll need open water experience beforehand. And remember everyones first ow swim in a race tends to be a bit iffy.

Dont 'leave' the running, keep up a maintenance schedule at least.

Sure once I am confident with swimming I might join local tri club for the open water swimming training. Thanks again I'm sure I will have more questions in the coming months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Sure once I am confident with swimming I might join local tri club for the open water swimming training. Thanks again I'm sure I will have more questions in the coming months

Might ????

Get your ass to winter training when it starts !

• Advertisement

Sure I will give it a go. Once the barriers for the slow lane are up.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

I'm doing the same thing as you Dave by the sounds of things. I do some running and little cycling (commuting) and have started swimming which I too am brutal at. I've been swimming a couple of times a week for the last 3 months, after seeing improvement in the first few weeks, that soon stopped. I signed up for lessons and feel I have started to get better again. Its more drills than lessons, basically someone standing there telling me not to stop, that helps.

This is also good for working on technique (in a pool anyway) - http://www.swimsmooth.com/

I'm going to join a club at the end of the year for winter training, hopefully do some races next year :eek:

Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

As the seasons just finished our swimming is all about technique at the moment (I'm guessing most clubs will be the same).

I think joining a group now would be easier than at the start of the year as they start adding speed work in.

As the seasons just finished our swimming is all about technique at the moment (I'm guessing most clubs will be the same).

I think joining a group now would be easier than at the start of the year as they start adding speed work in.
    Having seen the shocked faces of the newbies at our swim sessions, when they realise that was just the warmup :p, I know that for anyone joining an established club, the swim classes are going to seem daunting. I just want to say not to let it put you off. You do what you can, and if you cant finish a set, so what, you give it your best shot anyway. You will improve.

Starting anything new in a group of people that are already pretty good is a big deal, but dont be afraid of it. We were all in your shoes (and they still fit some of us ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Oryx wrote: »
    Having seen the shocked faces of the newbies at our swim sessions, when they realise that was just the warmup :p, I know that for anyone joining an established club, the swim classes are going to seem daunting. I just want to say not to let it put you off. You do what you can, and if you cant finish a set, so what, you give it your best shot anyway. You will improve.

Starting anything new in a group of people that are already pretty good is a big deal, but dont be afraid of it. We were all in your shoes (and they still fit some of us ;))

Also worth remembering that 99% of club swims are masters style sessions - that is focus is on doing the set and working hard. I know a lot of people have turned up to various clubs sessions and then b1tched about them afterwards as their swimming didn't improve. If you cannot swim a tri club will not teach you. If you can swim and need to improve then great.

• Advertisement

That was the one thing that was playing on my mind alright. But I will also have to put in some hours on my own just to get up to speed on the swimming.
    Work in progress :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

The swim sessions are definitely the most daunting. I only went to one and well, I'm still getting over it!

I decided to swim on my own in order to get up to speed so I wouldn't completely suck at a club session. In the end, I never bothered going back.

But seeing as tri clubs seem to be working on technique now, I'd recommend getting in asap.

That was the one thing that was playing on my mind alright. But I will also have to put in some hours on my own just to get up to speed on the swimming.
    Work in progress :)
    Youll have to do your own swims anyway, but do join in with a club session. Youll work like a dog, yes, but that will stand to you more than anything else you do.

The club he is thinking of joining ( my own ) have a slow and medium lanes which really helps. Two good coaches well who got me from 10 metres........

I hope i'm still in there in 2013.........loos like civil war is breaking out !

Don't say that Elvis I have only worked up the balls to go:)

Don't say that Elvis I have only worked up the balls to go:)

All will be sorted at the AGM i hope, if not there will still be options !

Advertisement