Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Artists brew up storm over Arthur's Day

Options
  • 28-09-2012 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭

There's quite a debate going on over the last 48 hours about Arthur's Day and the the lack of headline Irish acts taking part in it. Steve Wall from the Stunning wrote some crackers of a posts on facebook about it, describing the event as “patronising bollox”. There has been a very big reaction with over 200 comments on his posts about it.

There is a http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0927/breaking23.html"]good article[/URL] in the Irish Times about it. The comments make an interesting read too.

Hands up, I played a couple of gigs for Arthur's Day so perhaps I don't have a leg to stand on when I say that I agree 100% with what Steve and other artists are saying. Arthur's Day is a cynical marketing campaign that only looks after one thing - money for Diageo.

Why did I play the gigs? Because gigs are what pay the bills.

I deliberately drank Beamish for the night by the way.

What do you guys think about it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

Emmm...I think it's no news to anyone that it is a marketing ploy - cynical or not.

How the hell could it be anything else? Not even Guinness would claim it wasn't!

And yes, you're right - you don't have a leg to stand on :)

Drinking Beamish for the night instead of Guinness is like saying you bought Nike instead of Reebok. Both corporate bodies, seeking profits, regardless of where their headquarters may be.

Like it or not Arthur's Day is what it is - a genius marketing move.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Emmm...I think it's no news to anyone

Drinking Beamish for the night instead of Guinness is like saying you bought Nike instead of Reebok. Both corporate bodies, seeking profits, regardless of where their headquarters may be.

Like it or not Arthur's Day is what it is - a genius marketing move.

In fairness, this is what corporate bodies do, i.e. seek profits. Otherwise what's the point of being in existence ?

I agree that Arthur's day is a genius marketing move, just like Valentine's Day, Mother/Father's day etc.

Nothing wrong with these marketing moves in themselves, as they would not exist without the support of the masses. If criticism is to be given, it should be directed towards the public themselves who support it. Whether it continues to prosper or not is up to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

Rigsby wrote: »
    In fairness, this is what corporate bodies do, i.e. seek profits. Otherwise what's the point of being in existence ?

I know - I'm agreeing with you when I said that

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭keyboardcook

Arthur's Day. 6 months exactly either side of St Patricks Day.

The porfiteers obviously said why have one St Patricks Day when we can have two.

I also played Thursday night. An it was just like a St Patricks Day gig only not as dirty or smelly.

But give that another couple of years and I'm sure the balance will br even.

So com on, Use the platform to promote how Ireland is. Drunken excess and toilets without paper.

Thank you Diageo, for once again using Ireland to test you marketing ploys before going Global.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭Rigsby

So com on, Use the platform to promote how Ireland is. Drunken excess and toilets without paper.

Thank you Diageo, for once again using Ireland to test you marketing ploys before going Global.

Hey, don't shoot the messenger ! Ireland would be as you describe, with or without Diageo. It's up to us to show a different picture, if we so choose.

It's always someone else's fault. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Revolver Ireland

I really don't think there is a good point to be made in terms of the POV of Steve Wall etc. He doesn't seem to know what it is he's standing against. One minute its 'Irish artists should get proper billing', the next its, 'Its cynical marketing, highlighting our social problems with drink etc'. He doesn't seem to have made up his mind as to what principal he actually thinks would be more popular.
    Guinness sponsor many events, music and sports and otherwise, as do all kinds of corporations. Arthurs Day, is an event conjured up and sponsored by Diageo. They sell cut price Guinness on the night, and bring in some international acts, as well as Irish acts (Snow Patrol and The Script come to mind). I'm sure if there are currently relevant Irish acts that would draw wanted attention, and they were available to play, they would be on the billing. I for one am glad that the same oul Irish clique sh1te is not wheeled out (Mundy, Paddy Casey, The Stunning, etc etc) like a bad episode of The Late Late. I know if I was to get on the billing, I'd rather it to be on merit, not because I happen to be Irish.

I personally think its a great idea, and I'm not going to whinge about being served Guinness at €2.50 a pint while enjoying some good live music. Like every other night of the week, people are free to drink responsibly or not, and are also free to stay in if they wish. All this high horsery from never beens like Steve Wall etc just reeks of sour grapes of some sort. If you don't like it, don't play, or go out for it, but get off your high horse.

Advertisement